Smokers and Ovens made of Brick and Stone
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Brick Offset & Vertical Smoker with Outdoor Kitchen

Post by Dirtytires » January 6th, 2021, 10:44 am

Get the biggest bottle you can handle. It is amazing how fast they empty. I rotate two bottles so I always have a full one ready to put in.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 6th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dirtytires wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 10:44 am
Get the biggest bottle you can handle. It is amazing how fast they empty. I rotate two bottles so I always have a full one ready to put in.
:yth:
Running out of gas on an early Sunday sucks!!

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Thanks guys, the welder doesn't come with it so I'll need to buy separately. I'd thought about it but the bottle deposit in the UK is more than the price of the gas, so it'll be 1 bottle for now but can get a next day delivery.

Spray arc is the same as pulse isn't it?

What weight is in a full 10L & 20L bottle? It also has to be hand portable as I weld outside and bring everything inside nightly :(

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » January 6th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Knowing where you live, Pete, and that you have an outside kitchen to do welding on, don't rule out gasless wire if your welder is capable of it. Wind isn't friends with gas shielding. ;) Just remember to reverse the torch and earth polarity.

It's not as "show weld" as gas mig and it spatters a bit from the flux, but it just works. :)
gasless.jpg
gasless.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 794 times

You can never have too many hammers.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 6th, 2021, 6:37 pm

BigPete wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Thanks guys, the welder doesn't come with it so I'll need to buy separately. I'd thought about it but the bottle deposit in the UK is more than the price of the gas, so it'll be 1 bottle for now but can get a next day delivery.

What weight is in a full 10L & 20L bottle? It also has to be hand portable as I weld outside and bring everything inside nightly :(
Sorry. Didn’t read you are picking up a pulsed spray transfer rig. They are not the same as spray arc. Spray arc is a constant current where pulsed is not which allows the weld puddle to cool faster and let’s you use it on thinner material. Not sure on co2/ar mixes for pulsed spray but I’m sure your weld shop will advise you.
My recommendation on the bottle is to use your new welder to build yourself a nice welding cart with a bottle stand. Buy the biggest bottle you can justify, or rent it if you don’t plan on doing much welding beyond this. Or 2 smaller ones if the cart is not an option.

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 7th, 2021, 12:22 pm

SheffSmoker wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 4:00 pm
Knowing where you live, Pete, and that you have an outside kitchen to do welding on, don't rule out gasless wire if your welder is capable of it. Wind isn't friends with gas shielding. ;) Just remember to reverse the torch and earth polarity.

It's not as "show weld" as gas mig and it spatters a bit from the flux, but it just works. :)

gasless.jpg
That hadn't ever crossed by mind, though thankfully it's quite sheltered where I am, all be it outside. I'd looked at the pulse mig with gas to try and avoid any additional grinding and speed things up.

dacolson wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 6:37 pm
BigPete wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Sorry. Didn’t read you are picking up a pulsed spray transfer rig. They are not the same as spray arc. Spray arc is a constant current where pulsed is not which allows the weld puddle to cool faster and let’s you use it on thinner material. Not sure on co2/ar mixes for pulsed spray but I’m sure your weld shop will advise you.
My recommendation on the bottle is to use your new welder to build yourself a nice welding cart with a bottle stand. Buy the biggest bottle you can justify, or rent it if you don’t plan on doing much welding beyond this. Or 2 smaller ones if the cart is not an option.
Well.... It's a Chinese one so doubt I'll get much support. Its a "pulse mig synergic" and can take flux or fluxless wire. Doesn't that essentially mean it's a pulsed spray?

Today has been a fail of school boy proportions... You measure some steel, 42cm long but it needs to fit between two other pieces with material thickness of 6mm on each side, so you scribbled down 42-(2x6)=30... Facepalm... should have been 40.8cm or 408mm.

DONT MIX YOUR UNITS!!!

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 7th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Words to live by Big Pete. You should update your profile and put that in your signature. "Don't mix your units!"

On the Mig, I mean you should get advice on the gas ratio from the place you purchase your gas/tank. What brand MIG are you purchasing? Synergic is not synonymous with pulse mig. It just means the machine has some smarts to tell how fast to feed your wire based on the volts you enter and how thick your filler wire is. Once you pull the trigger, it measures how fast to feed and adjusts on the fly. The pulse mig is a separate function. Probable pulsed spray transfer but without knowing the unit, it's hard to say.

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 8th, 2021, 1:48 am

It's not totally clear, its due to arrive on the 13th so will see once it arrives.
20210108_064431.jpg
20210108_064413.jpg
20210108_064357.jpg
20210108_064338.jpg
20210108_064319.jpg
20210108_064217.jpg
20210108_064201.jpg

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 8th, 2021, 3:49 am

Just found a PDF with a little more info (its a MIG 200 P) - http://www.keyuewelding.com/uploadfile/ ... 374016.pdf

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 8th, 2021, 11:33 am

From what I see on their website - the mfg is Keyue - it is pulsed spray transfer mig. They don't come out and say it, but the applications they highlight and how they describe it works it sounds like that's what you're getting. the specs look decent - good duty cycle, output, etc. It looks like it also supports stick and flux core wire as well so you could skip the gas tank (if you can swing the gas, do it! So much easier). Good luck with it!

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 8th, 2021, 11:33 am

BigPete wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 3:49 am
Just found a PDF with a little more info (its a MIG 200 P) - http://www.keyuewelding.com/uploadfile/ ... 374016.pdf
haha! we were looking at the same doc. funny

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 8th, 2021, 11:38 am

Excellent thanks, will do the gas to help avoid extra cleanup. In for a penny in for a pound!

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 10th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Fired up the churrasquaria yesterday to test the chimney draw, added a lot more fuel though the outside temp was -4degC. Still getting smoke coming out the mouth (with some up the chimney). It means you get a face full of smoke... The chimney was only luke warm on the inside to touch.

I might rig a fan to blow up the chimney to see if it's a draw issue. Anyone have any other suggestions? (Without restricting the size of the mouth)

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 10th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Couple thoughts. Preheating the stove/chimney may help. Also, what about putting a small lip across the top of the opening to encourage smoke to go up? Should be easy to test ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 10th, 2021, 5:28 pm

How would I preheat the chimney/stove short of lighting a fire in it? Maybe create a high fire basket that would allow the heat to rise less and embers fall to cook on?

I'd tried holding a sheet of plywood against a side but it didn't help much - didn't try the top though it would be a pain in day to day usage :( or do you mean on the inside?

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm

I was thinking like a 2 or 3 inch lip horizontally across the top of the opening so the smoke would be encouraged to go up the stack rather than put the front. It’s weird that it doesn’t naturally hug the back wall and go up your stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » January 10th, 2021, 9:32 pm

It could take that chimney an hour before it is warm enough to draw good enough. A decent size fire an hour before you are ready to cook and a taller chimney would help.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Cole Leffert » January 10th, 2021, 9:33 pm

The lip Dave was talking about would help too!

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 11th, 2021, 8:36 am

Really wish i'd taken a few photos of the size of the fire (I thought it was a decent size for the area), smoke but totally forgot :(

I know what you mean with the lip, i'm concerned that you'd catch your eye/head on it when walking past as its exactly at face level :(

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Cole Leffert » January 11th, 2021, 10:24 am

I think Dave is talking about something like this. It shouldn't stick out just straight down. My wood furnace has one on just inside the firebox door. It just hangs and actually swing in, so you can put in a bigger log.
Attachments
smokeguard-4-in-smoke-rollout-eliminator-in-black-47.jpg

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Ahh ok I understand now, I can give that a try next time. It might prove a theory but will impact cooking though (fyi the opening is waist to head height so you can see what's cooking without stooping down) if that makes sense? Just want to make sure it's usable :)

dacolson

Post by dacolson » January 11th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Cole nailed it. Exactly what I was referring to. Just kicking ideas around. Fingers crossed you can find a good fix.

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 12th, 2021, 7:46 am

Folks, the welder has arrived and initially looks quite good but I'm going to need some assistance in getting it setup as the manual is confusing at best!

I've added the 1.0mm wire and switched the roller from 0.8 to 1.0. I've not switched the polarity which I believe is recommended.

Any suggestions for starting settings? Also the torch has this red pipe protruding. It can't push further in - do I need to cut this off?
20210112_124305.jpg

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » January 12th, 2021, 9:10 am

Hi Pete,

If using gas it needs to be torch positive, ground negative. Only reverse it if using gasless flux cored wire.

1.0 is quite thick wire, I use 0.8 and 0.9 for thicker stuff. Settings wise it's trial and error on a few scrap pieces the same thickness as you're wanting to weld, with 0.8 I'm generally in the 65-90A range and wire speed 3-6. Haven't really played with inductance as yet.

Red tube is the wire liner, make sure it's pushed as far into the hose as possible. Take the gas shield off the torch and see if you can see it there, although I expect it would be a steel flexi liner at the torch end. You could always take the torch apart and see if it's come adrift inside. It certainly shouldn't be protruding from the connector like that.

You can never have too many hammers.

BigPete
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by BigPete » January 12th, 2021, 10:21 am

Thanks SheffSmoker, i'll give it a short with those settings once I get my regulator and hose.

I've pinged the seller a message to see what they say, dont want to trim it down before they reply. (all brass/copper in the handle) and cant push the wire liner any further in on the connector so wondering if its just a manufacturing mistake?