Couple Questions

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Couple Questions

Post by hogaboomer » March 29th, 2021, 10:46 pm

People that have a cooking grate inside the firebox - do they use that during a smoke, or is that something they only use when they want to grill something, separate from firing up the smoker?

Also, wondering how this might work, if at all - sometimes your fire might occasionally, accidentally get too hot, and so, the cook chamber also gets too hot. What if you had another vent on top of the firebox to let a little excess heat out? Just for occasional use, not all the time, of course. Just for a fine tuner, until the fire gets back to the right temp.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Re: Couple Questions

Post by Kcd2016 » March 30th, 2021, 10:52 am

I don't have the experience to answer your questions but I will say that I've just about convinced myself that I'm going to make a grilling insert that goes right above the firebox throat within the cook chamber.

Here's where I got the idea. They claim to get temps up to 700F of a normal sized smoking fire. Call it a grill, flat iron, griddle, wood oven, whatever... I'm excited about this idea! https://outlawbbqsmokers.com/hot-box-insert

I'll probably combine that idea with a baking steel: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the ... teelg.html (I drool over the steak pics on that post)

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 30th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I don't have a grate in my FB but I have a WC above the FB with a 5'' X 5'' damper between them. I have used it several times to dump some excess heat into the WC instead of overheating my CC. I don't see why it wouldn't work as just a vent out the top of the FB.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » March 31st, 2021, 12:07 am

Well, great! Now I just have to design something and execute it. That big smoker I just reworked is a lot easier to cook on than the smaller ones, but it can get hot, too.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » March 31st, 2021, 8:38 am

IRT averting over heating It just occurred to me to mention my firebasket hangs on pullout slides. If I need to I can just pull the part of the fire or the whole fire outside of the firebox.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 31st, 2021, 10:07 am

Kcd2016 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 8:38 am
IRT averting over heating It just occurred to me to mention my firebasket hangs on pullout slides. If I need to I can just pull the part of the fire or the whole fire outside of the firebox.
Pulling your fire basket will definitely drop your heat but you are then introducing an infinite amount of oxygen to your fire which will increase its heat output and cause an even bigger overheating problem when you close the door again. Definitely better to keep your door closed and dump the heat thru the cook chamber or warmer box as it won't cause your fire to roar out of control.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » March 31st, 2021, 10:20 am

Easy enough to pull out some coals if needed. I wont argue against the convenience of having a warmer box!

jeeperjkjeeper
beginner
beginner

Post by jeeperjkjeeper » April 11th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Check out the signature firebox design by Lone Star Grillz. Love this concept!

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/24- ... set-smoker

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 12th, 2021, 7:19 am

I keep thinking about that top rack option in the FB. Would be fun to slide a pizza stone in there...