new offset build

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: I fix stuff
BBQ Comp Team Name: I burn stuff

Re: new offset build

Post by Daves87gn » March 30th, 2021, 3:37 pm

Tom’s friend does aviation salvage and had these 🤣 20 ton casters, with locking casters and brakes, nice since my backyard had a slight slant to it.
B82DCFB6-2F47-439B-A1A7-54DB688E574B.jpeg

some gas stuff, some pellet stuff, and some stick burner stuff with some car stuff mixed in

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 30th, 2021, 5:39 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 31st, 2021, 10:09 am

Slightly overkill.....I like it!

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 10th, 2021, 7:29 pm

got some more parts on today, got the chimney started, will attach the stack next Saturday, but got the firebox mostly glued on today.
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

some gas stuff, some pellet stuff, and some stick burner stuff with some car stuff mixed in

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 10th, 2021, 7:35 pm

Not sure if I mentioned it but the reason I'm not welding is I have a astigmatism, best way to explain what I see when I try to weld, it's as if someone put white paint/paper over the lens. Fast forward, I got glasses to help with the astigmatism and got to play a little with a flux core mig welder. I've tried to learn and know the principles behind it but just blinded by the light. well.....
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 10th, 2021, 9:53 pm

That is fantastic Dave. Really glad for you. You’re on the road now and I hope you get hooked. Lots of practice to come.

Big T

Post by Big T » April 10th, 2021, 10:01 pm

:yth: That's a huge improvement.

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 11th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Yeah I already want a welder, I have some scrap I brought home to play with, still have my buddies mig until next week.

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 24th, 2021, 7:21 pm

it's almost done, got the doors welded on today, added the internal stops to hinges, got all the racks welded up and added stops so I can't pull them out to far, I have to lift rack in order to remove them. I added bungs for the gauges.
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 24th, 2021, 7:57 pm

:LG:
So close to the finish line

Big T

Post by Big T » April 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm

It's looking great!! Are you going to be able to reach the door handle when the door is fully open ?

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 24th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Big T wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm
It's looking great!! Are you going to be able to reach the door handle when the door is fully open ?
Maybe 🤣

I can lift the door all the way and reach the top of the door to close it, but thinking I might have to build some shorter legs for it because the casters are to tall. I’m a little worried about the tires dry rotting from sitting out side also.

The advantage is that it rolls really nice, and with the casters unlocked it’s easy to move around.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 25th, 2021, 7:47 am

You had better start saving cash now! Looks like 6 thermometer bungs....I made that mistake by drilling 5 holes before I priced out thermometers. My tel-tru dials set me back $50 a piece.

They look good, tho!

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » April 25th, 2021, 10:12 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 7:47 am
You had better start saving cash now! Looks like 6 thermometer bungs....I made that mistake by drilling 5 holes before I priced out thermometers. My tel-tru dials set me back $50 a piece.

They look good, tho!
I ordered them about a month ago, definitely not cheap

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » May 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm

5E9A61EF-65D6-479C-8622-C6B2E5BFB647.jpeg
It’s basically done, just some odds and ends that I’ll probably do at home...it’ll give me a chance to practice with my new welder I picked up yesterday.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » May 1st, 2021, 9:22 pm

Looking great! You got a damper for that FB vent? When’s the first cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » May 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm

dacolson wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:22 pm
Looking great! You got a damper for that FB vent? When’s the first cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, don’t have a damper for the firebox yet, have a few ideas but...I don’t have way to secure door either, have a few ideas too. I want to get it home, Tom has mentioned it take up a lot of room at his little shop 🤣. I have to cut up the flat expanded metal for the racks and a few other things and then season it then some 🐖 butts for first cook.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 2nd, 2021, 2:24 pm

Looking good......one word of advice though...widen those wheels out about a foot...ask me how I know:)

RJB
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by RJB » May 2nd, 2021, 2:34 pm

Daves87gn wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm

It’s basically done, just some odds and ends that I’ll probably do at home...it’ll give me a chance to practice with my new welder I picked up yesterday.
Looks awesome! :beer:

Rick

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » May 2nd, 2021, 3:19 pm

towtruck wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 2:24 pm
Looking good......one word of advice though...widen those wheels out about a foot...ask me how I know:)
We measured twice and cut once just about everything lol, as long as they turn in the same direction they clear each other by an inch, when they turn the opposite direction they fight 😂.

Funny story, we welded the hinges for the firebox door, discussed welding them with the grease fittings down so the grease will pool in the hinges. Everything is welded and “moment of truth” swing door open and door starts to fall 😟. So we figured we welded hinges upside down, cut them off and turn them upside down and re-weld them and “moment of truth #2”, start to open door and we both noticed the door is ready to fall down again. We look at each other dumbfounded, Tom looks at me and says “what the hell”. We sit there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and then light 💡 moment, bottom part of hinge needs to be welded to box not door 🤣, so we cut them off again and welded them a 3rd time.

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » May 2nd, 2021, 3:19 pm

RJB wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 2:34 pm
Daves87gn wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm

Looks awesome! :beer:

Rick
Thank you

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 2nd, 2021, 4:33 pm

Daves87gn wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 3:19 pm
towtruck wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 2:24 pm
We measured twice and cut once just about everything lol, as long as they turn in the same direction they clear each other by an inch, when they turn the opposite direction they fight 😂.

Funny story, we welded the hinges for the firebox door, discussed welding them with the grease fittings down so the grease will pool in the hinges. Everything is welded and “moment of truth” swing door open and door starts to fall 😟. So we figured we welded hinges upside down, cut them off and turn them upside down and re-weld them and “moment of truth #2”, start to open door and we both noticed the door is ready to fall down again. We look at each other dumbfounded, Tom looks at me and says “what the hell”. We sit there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and then light 💡 moment, bottom part of hinge needs to be welded to box not door 🤣, so we cut them off again and welded them a 3rd time.
It's not the clearance between the wheels that will bite you.....it's the fact that with the wheel turned 90* the axle is really close to the center line of the smoker making it super easy to tip the whole thing over. Imagine pushing it sideways and hitting a pebble...being top heavy it will go over before you realize what is happening. You'll want the center of the axle, when turned under the smoker at a 90*, to be wider than the smoker itself. That way the smoker has to overcome its own weight and raise up to tip over. With the axle center under the smoker it will tip over with zero resistance like taking a leg off the kitchen table. With all four casters being able to swivel, and those axles way under the smoker, you are going to have it go over on someone. Remember, it's not where the swivel attaches, but where the axle of the wheel is when turned 90*....they need to be wider than the smoker.

I'm not the smartest guy in the room but I have learned a few things in 55 years about weight and weight transfer.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 19th, 2021, 10:26 pm

Any progress on this one? I worried about you since you have not posted in a while.....

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 20th, 2021, 11:03 am

It sure how I missed this post but just got caught up but welding both legs of the hinge to the door is classic. Thanks for sharing that as it re-assures that I am not the only one that does goofy things like that.

Daves87gn
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Daves87gn » May 27th, 2021, 12:31 am

towtruck wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 10:26 pm
Any progress on this one? I worried about you since you have not posted in a while.....
sorry, life got in the way the last few weeks, and progress has been slow, but it's about to pick up again. She is home now and I'm ready to finish up the last few things and have to fix a few issues...I have OCD about some stuff and have to make them perfect :-w

I ran into a issue with the hinges, the holes weren't round and one door dropped or drooped after the hinge was welded, I drilled the holes round and got bigger hardware but it didn't really fix the problem so they are getting cut off and rewelded. I noticed some of the bungs for the gauges aren't square, so they will have to be adjusted. I also want to contour the sharp edges inside the cooking chamber were it meets the chimney and firebox. I have to add the expanded metal to the racks and finish the firebox and then burn time.

on a side note, I am grateful for the wheels, I live on a slight hill and it was a breeze to get it up a slight hill, and up a step to get the smoker in the backyard. Having casters that lock and have brakes made it a lot easier than everyone expected, even on uneven surfaces while being turned and rolling it was pretty stable.
IMG_0632.jpg
Last edited by Daves87gn on May 27th, 2021, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.