New Member looking to build 250 gal smoker

Tell us a little about yourself!
TiminTX

New Member looking to build 250 gal smoker

Post by TiminTX » July 19th, 2021, 9:24 pm

I currently have an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. It is hell on fuel usage and keeping temperature. Just got a 250gal propane tank. Ready to cut it and start building a smoker for the backyard. Already flushed it a couple of times. What I would like help with to start off is where you got the steel for the FB and then the material to build the platform to move it around in the backyard. Any and all help is appreciated. I want to use 3/8 steel for the firebox but wonder if I should insulate it or not. Live in North Texas!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: New Member looking to build 250 gal smoker

Post by Big T » July 19th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Welcome aboard! I bought all of my steel new from a local supplier for my last build but there may be other options depending on where you live. Some guys have good luck finding useable plate at their local scrapyards and others have bought drops from a local fab shop. I live in lower Alabama so insulating the fire box isn't really necessary in my area but if you like to cook in extreme cold temps, it may be worth it for you.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

kschitoskey
beginner
beginner

Post by kschitoskey » July 20th, 2021, 6:50 am

Welcome! My cook chamber lived on jack stands for the 3 months I was working on it - until I built a trailer. I suppose you could start with the trailer and get it mounted early. That would keep you mobile.

I'm in Decatur - Westex iron in Ft Worth is amazing and very reasonable on pricing.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 20th, 2021, 8:37 am

Search for local steel supply. Put together a shopping list and ask for quotes from a few yards as prices can vary greatly between suppliers. Some yards specialize in certain products but don't carry others so shopping around is good.

Keep in mind a 4x8 sheet of 0.375 plate is going to weigh in at 490 pounds so having it cut to size is a huge help unless you have access to a hoist/forklift.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » July 20th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Search for local steel supply. Put together a shopping list and ask for quotes from a few yards as prices can vary greatly between suppliers. Some yards specialize in certain products but don't carry others so shopping around is good.

Keep in mind a 4x8 sheet of 0.375 plate is going to weigh in at 490 pounds so having it cut to size is a huge help unless you have access to a hoist/forklift.
And even if you have the tools, vm cleaning up torch or plasma cuts on 3/8” is almost as much work as the cuts themselves. If they offer cutting, do it IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » July 21st, 2021, 5:30 am

I realize that you are asking about sourcing materials right now. I didn't see if you were planning on building and offset (stack opposite FB) or an RF smoker (stack same side as FB) with BP. But if you are planning on an offset, Frank is offering free plans for a 250 gallon offset which would likely answer a lot of build questions along the way. Unless you already purchased a set.. Here is teh link. I think you pay shipping on teh plans, which is a super deal.. here is a link to the plans.
https://www.smokerplans.com/order-form- ... term=Email

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344