Baffles and Franklins New Pit

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Baffles and Franklins New Pit

Post by EverydayDiesel » August 23rd, 2021, 1:26 pm

I recently had the opportunity to eat some que cooked on a franklin pit (back yard version) and I have to say I was quite impressed.

I wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar to the baffle in the picture below. It can be used as a warming pan for my tallow as well as a place to keep water for moisture (when needed)

There is a bunch of smart guys on this forum. I just wanted to see what your thoughts on this design is?

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Baffles and Franklins New Pit

Post by JKalchik » August 23rd, 2021, 7:40 pm

TBH..... your small hotel/steamer pan would be just fine sitting on the grate, although you might want to have it on the other end without that big baffle. Even disposable tin foil pans work just fine on grates.

I'd like to see what other benefit that sort of baffle has on heat circulation.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2021, 5:12 pm

I can't say whether or not the baffle works but my first thought was, wow that thing takes up a good bit of cooking space!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 25th, 2021, 10:49 am

My thought exactly. Rack space is a premium in most pits and I would hate the idea of loosing that much.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof

Post by ThinBlue » October 12th, 2021, 7:26 am

I'm wondering if reason for this design was that they knew that space would be especially hot compared to the rest of the grate so they decided to essentially make it unusable for cooking instead seeing bad reviews showing uneven cooking.

Devin&Bobbi
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Devin&Bobbi » October 12th, 2021, 8:49 am

EverydayDiesel wrote:
August 23rd, 2021, 1:26 pm
I recently had the opportunity to eat some que cooked on a franklin pit (back yard version) and I have to say I was quite impressed.

I wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar to the baffle in the picture below. It can be used as a warming pan for my tallow as well as a place to keep water for moisture (when needed)

There is a bunch of smart guys on this forum. I just wanted to see what your thoughts on this design is?
Imo, and anyone here can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that is indeed a waste of space. On the 250 we built if I put anything directly in front of the throat like that it causes a hot spot further down the grate. Basically, I think what's happening is if I put a water pan there or a split to preheat it something it's causing the heat and smoke to be forced down and rise later in the chamber instead of rising immediately as it exits the firebox. As soon as I move whatever is in front of the throat the temps even out. You'll see this same thing playing out in Jeremy Yoder's biscuit test video on his Franklin pit. The biscuits next to the "water pan shelf" are burned because I think it's simply moving that hotspot forward a bit.
Obviously, Aaron Franklin has been building pits and making bbq far longer than we have so take what I've said with a grain of salt. It's just what I've noticed on our pit and observations I've made by looking at others pits.
Last edited by Devin&Bobbi on February 14th, 2022, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Post by hogaboomer » October 12th, 2021, 9:01 am

That why I invented the Hogaboom Flap. :D

I live on Hogaboom Road.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 12th, 2021, 9:51 am

I've got a 120 gallon tank in the garage for an upcoming build. Might have to do some testing. Build this little shelf thing in this one and compare it to the throat baffle design I have going on my 130 gallon pit. Should be a pretty close comparison. I won't be fully welding out the shelf though ... I just don't have confidence it will work as well as my throat baffle design or Boomer's Hogaboomer Flap™
(Boomer - you gotta trademark that!)

D . Jur
BBQ Comp Team Name: BRISKET BOYS

Post by D . Jur » October 12th, 2021, 3:54 pm

this place is usually not used anyway, therefore,
I think so, they made a shelf there. It also serves as a damper.
The mile scale has the same thing, only at 500 gal.
Here:
Screenshot_20211013-005300.png

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 12th, 2021, 3:57 pm

They are big builders and sell a ton of pits. There’s got to be something to it. Worth testing.

D . Jur
BBQ Comp Team Name: BRISKET BOYS

Post by D . Jur » October 12th, 2021, 4:05 pm

dacolson wrote:
October 12th, 2021, 3:57 pm
They are big builders and sell a ton of pits. There’s got to be something to it. Worth testing.
Agree. judging by the video, by the way, not much space is lost there ...
Just next week, I'll be back from the big catering and want to try it.
I will replace this
IMG_20211009_150017626.jpg
IMG_20211009_150037250.jpg
and do like mill scale.

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » December 26th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Hey all, I just noticed this topic; chiming in to recount my experience—I did fabricate a "Franklin baffle" for my tiny backyard offset, here's a picture:
FB487EBC-5A81-43D7-BDBB-D6A0C5E6DAD9.jpeg
You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/wCGwfvNFpFE?t=42

My smoker is a 16x36 CC with a 16x22 FB, and ø 4.5"x30" stack 3" above grate level, a Cactus-Jack 16" Longhorn ProSmoke edition; think classic OKJ with an oversized stack. It comes from the factory with an angled baffle just below grate level, and it used to give me a considerable hot spot in the middle of the CC, where a brisket point would sit. The factory baffle also obstructed the top third of the exchange (football shaped, two overlapping circles).

I thought I'd give the Franklin-style baffle a try and fabricated one—temps are now much more even across the grate, except right in front of the baffle itself which of course goes nuclear. Using this baffle also opened the throat completely going up to 74 sq in, which is slightly more than double the recommended amount (about 34). I'll realistically weld some rebar on the top lip because it tends to bend and deform slightly under the intense heat (though this might be a good thing and add to the turbulence, who knows)

I'm a tinkerer, so I gave the Workhorse-style exchange a try as well: the top half of the throat gets covered by a half-moon plate, and a short, detached lip extends 45 degrees downwards into the cooking chamber—this gave me very, very equalized temperatures across almost 7/8 of the cooking grate but I could see the heat waves coming off the stack with less energy

If you've got questions I'm happy to try and provide an answer

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » December 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Sandro, I can't let my wife watch your videos. You make bbq sound way too sexy.

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » December 28th, 2021, 1:52 am

ThinBlue wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Sandro, I can't let my wife watch your videos. You make bbq sound way too sexy.
That gave me a honest chuckle

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » December 30th, 2021, 8:48 am

Sandro, just for clarification, are you using the Workhorse style baffle in conjunction with the Franklin baffle above the grate or did you remove the Franklin baffle when you switched to the Workhorse style one?

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » December 30th, 2021, 9:20 am

ThinBlue wrote:
December 30th, 2021, 8:48 am
Sandro, just for clarification, are you using the Workhorse style baffle in conjunction with the Franklin baffle above the grate or did you remove the Franklin baffle when you switched to the Workhorse style one?
Either one or the other, never ran them together—as far as I was able to observe the Workhorse baffle pushes the hot gases a few spans down the cooking grate, and they'd essentially miss the Franklin shelf entirely

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » January 30th, 2022, 12:35 pm

While I was editing yesterday's brisket video (which hopefully will go up tonight or tomorrow on YouTube) I happened to catch this while I was moving the coals around and some sparks flew off. It was a fast burning fire, I reckon 300f or higher in the chamber had I kept the lid closed, and you can see how the heat and smoke travel thanks to the baffle, and where the hot spot is (up top, smack center) when draw is really strong

When running a calmer fire during a normal cook instead, air is rising earlier and hitting a few inches to the right. Pretty neat! I bet on a 20 or 24" pipe it makes for some awesome airflow

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Post by hogaboomer » January 30th, 2022, 12:51 pm

Convecting like a mofo!

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Return to “Standard Offsets”