Why this way ?

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
JH1973
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Why this way ?

Post by JH1973 » July 8th, 2022, 11:36 am

Just watched HDM Smokers new video on sprung doors.In it uses a porta power to adjust the tank between door openings.Just curious as to way use this method opposed to adjusting the door itself. Not criticizing in any way .It worked.Just new to this and like to know the reasoning behind it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Why this way ?

Post by ThinBlue » July 8th, 2022, 12:30 pm

I think Frank Cox is the one that got the ball rolling on this method so perhaps he'll chime in on it.

I believe this comes from the realization that sometimes it's not the door that has moved or warped on you, but the tank itself. Using the porta power allows you to fix the actual problem rather than bending a door to match the problem.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

JH1973
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JH1973 » July 8th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Insight from the originator is definitely welcome.But your explanation does make sense.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm

JH1973 wrote:Insight from the originator is definitely welcome.But your explanation does make sense.

Glad to explain!
So where this came from was we had a door one time that was twisted about an inch and a half out. It was such that the top left in the bottom right corner were touching but the opposite corners were an inch and a half off.

We had bought several ways to pull the twist out of the door and then I realized the tank literally twisted a little bit and the top line of the tank had several dips and peaks in it.

So we use the Porta power to straighten out the dips and peaks and That actually fix the problem.

It was super easy and quick to fix that way.
It just depends on how much meat you cut out of the heads of the tank and also if you cut all the bangs out or not.

I actually showed Paul from HDM how to do that.
Really glad he done a video about it!

JH1973
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by JH1973 » July 9th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Haven’t cut anything yet on my build.I found two 250s with hemispherical ends .Was planning on leaving them .Thank you for the explanation.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 10th, 2022, 11:42 am

I think another important thing to remember here is that it is just another tool that can be used to straighten a door. Metal has a funny memory and each tank will react differently to being cut. It is then necessary to use a little detective work and some measuring to see where the warping is in order to determine the best tool to fix it.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”