First build + vlog

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Re: First build + vlog

Post by Brewmaster » March 11th, 2022, 5:30 pm

LOL =)) On the bright side, you won't have to worry about buying anymore of that any time soon!

Iwishicouldcook41
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

First build + vlog

Post by Iwishicouldcook41 » March 12th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Just watched franks happy hour video with Bobby of titus smokers. Bobby has been one of the few pit builders that have been extremely nice to me. Answering any questions I’ve had. He’s put out some pretty high gloss pits in custom colors that have been run pretty hot and has had success with IMRON paints. The exact paint is listed in the comment section of that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: none of the other builders I’ve messaged have been rude. They’ve just vaguely answered questions as to not give away any of their trade secrets that they’ve worked hard for. Which is completely understandable. Bobby has been more than generous and taken the time to answer plenty of my questions. Even sent me links and more photos and explanations on how he does things. Good dude

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ThinBlue » March 24th, 2022, 10:49 am

I wanted to pick some brains if I could for a moment. What is everyone's thought on reinforcing the firebox door against warping with pieces of strapping or plate steel in an X pattern? I've seen some people do it and others don't. I've seen guys with 3/8" doors do it while thin metal OK Joe does not. Is it necessary? Is it only necessary on a larger pit building bigger fires?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 25th, 2022, 10:13 am

I'm not sure it is absolutely necessary but it is a good idea. I like the idea of a solid door so that I never have to worry about it warping or getting bent. You could probably get away without it depending on how close your fire will be located to the door.

And let's face it, OKJoe doesn't put one on because it is less expensive to put on a stamped single piece door vs a multiple piece welded one. Their target buyer is not concerned with a long lasting pit like we are.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » March 25th, 2022, 12:47 pm

Dirtytires wrote:I'm not sure it is absolutely necessary but it is a good idea. I like the idea of a solid door so that I never have to worry about it warping or getting bent. You could probably get away without it depending on how close your fire will be located to the door.

And let's face it, OKJoe doesn't put one on because it is less expensive to put on a stamped single piece door vs a multiple piece welded one. Their target buyer is not concerned with a long lasting pit like we are.
Cool. So what is a good rule of thumb for that then? Anything is better than nothing? Do at least x/x" thick? Full weld or stitch weld? Does it matter if you put that bracing on the inside of the door or the outside? I've seen a lot of different methods around the web. I guess I'm wondering if there is a general best practice kind of like 1/4" is the best practice minimum for a firebox.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 26th, 2022, 11:01 am

Mine is overkill so not really a good example. It is insulated and consists of an inner and outer plate of 0.25 separated with a boarder and 'X' with 0.25x1" strap. It is just as flat now as it was new and seals perfect without need of a gasket.

With that said, I would brace anything less than 0.125 thick and be more inclined to want to brace a bigger door vs a smaller one. Most doors in the 0.25 range should be fine as is. Another concern is if the fire is close to the door and how big of fire do you plan-- I once had a buddy that used his offset as a high heat grill and shoved as much wood in his firebox as possible to cook steaks. Obviously, he warped everything!

Inside vs outside is up to you and what style or look you are going for. A word of caution is to make sure your logs/basket still fit if you decide on inner bracing.

A simple 'X' with 1" strap is fine. Another consideration is to make a frame with 0.75-1" angle and inset the door panel if you like a more finished look. Whatever you do, remember the goal is to prevent warping so be careful how much heat you introduce in welding it. A stitch pattern is probably fine for both strength and heat buildup.

Don't overthink it. You own a welder and will always have steel laying around. If it warps sometime in the future just study why it failed, then cut it off and make a new one.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » March 26th, 2022, 11:03 pm

I won't quote that response because it was quite lengthy but I appreciate all that, DT. I'll have to dig around the scrap yard and see what I've got that will fit the bill.

My curious side wants to see if it will be fine without any bracing but my lazy side says that I don't want to make another door just because I didn't take a few minutes to do something about it the first time.

Also, we started putting the door flanges on today. I've seen you guys talk about never using 1/4" strapping ever again. I get it. It's not the easiest to work with without a bender and it's way overkill. Lesson learned. Hahahaha

Also, to any newbie reading this, steel toe shoes are worth the purchase price even if you are only building one pit. THEY ARE NECESSARY PPE. It's as important as a grinding hood. It only takes one accident to cause permanent damage. Luckily we can laugh about it and no one was hurt today but it was a close call.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 27th, 2022, 10:37 am

Good safety minute.

:rulz: :rulz: :rulz:

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » June 27th, 2022, 4:21 pm

It's been a minute since I've been around. We are probably just a couple more Sundays out from finishing her up. Additionally, I'm just getting around to editing some of the footage I captured. Here is the latest video, although it's still a little behind the times because I have about 3 other vids that will follow this one to really catch everything up. Enjoy... or not. It's entirely up to you. :)
Here's for the folks who can't seen the embedded link: https://youtu.be/xeN8pYhKumI

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » July 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm

COVID got me good this week but I still managed to finish up editing another video. Hopefully this coming week shapes up so I can get this girl finished.

https://youtu.be/2Wb7-4wFHMM

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 4th, 2022, 10:12 pm

It's coming together nicely!! There was a guy on the forum a few years ago that used hood hinges from a Chevy S-10 on his door and he said they worked really well.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » July 5th, 2022, 6:07 pm

Thanks Big T.

Not sure how I missed that on this forum. I did find a guy on a different forum that made a bracket and did 2 hood springs on either side of the door. I could probably have done that on this door if I wanted it to be more on the lightweight side but as is I can lift it with one arm provided I give it a good jerk.

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » July 7th, 2022, 4:46 am

She's looking good in the last couple vids, looking forward to seeing some cooks on the finished beast!!

Jabes09
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jabes09 » July 21st, 2022, 1:42 am

I’ve been following every video you post and it basically made me jump into just saying screw it and start cutting my old country cooker up. Idk if trying to rebuild mine made anything easier. It seems maybe starting from scratch would of been a better idea. Oh well to far invested now.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » July 21st, 2022, 3:53 pm

Jabes09 wrote:I’ve been following every video you post and it basically made me jump into just saying screw it and start cutting my old country cooker up. Idk if trying to rebuild mine made anything easier. It seems maybe starting from scratch would of been a better idea. Oh well to far invested now.
That's awesome. I'm glad I could inspire you to try to make something more of your Old Country.

After I had my little pellet smoker fire incident I ended up finding videos from Frank and KansasCitySmoked and those are what inspired me to go for it.

Fair warning though... It's addictive. I've already got plans to make other types of live fire cookers. Might have to save those for Oct/Nov though because I'm going end up dieing in this heat.

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn

Post by Barrion2018 » July 21st, 2022, 5:01 pm

ThinBlue wrote:
July 21st, 2022, 3:53 pm
Jabes09 wrote:I’ve been following every video you post and it basically made me jump into just saying screw it and start cutting my old country cooker up. Idk if trying to rebuild mine made anything easier. It seems maybe starting from scratch would of been a better idea. Oh well to far invested now.
That's awesome. I'm glad I could inspire you to try to make something more of your Old Country.

After I had my little pellet smoker fire incident I ended up finding videos from Frank and KansasCitySmoked and those are what inspired me to go for it.

Fair warning though... It's addictive. I've already got plans to make other types of live fire cookers. Might have to save those for Oct/Nov though because I'm going end up dieing in this heat.

10-4 about "dieing in this heat"! #:-s

Me and my daughter have been working on smoker number two for her. She's been doing all the welding so far, and is loving every minute, except for the heat.

We where planing on working on it somemore tonight, but it's 100 degrees outside right now, so it'll have to wait.

I don't have a shop, which means we have to build it out in the sun, and it's to HOT for that.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » July 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm

Wowza. I'm not sure I'd make it doing it directly in the sun. I've got a vehicle canopy that I'm working under with fans blowing through it most of the time and it's not enough.

Jabes09
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jabes09 » July 23rd, 2022, 1:57 am

I don’t have a shop either and it’s been 100+ by noon and I work 2nd shift so there’s not way I can really do anything before 3pm when I have to work. So I have to use my off days and start around 7 just to get anything done

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 23rd, 2022, 9:19 am

Things would be easier if metal-work didn't require the heavy boots, pants, long sleeves and gloves, lol. Be careful in the heat!

SeenRed
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Post by SeenRed » July 23rd, 2022, 2:40 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 23rd, 2022, 9:19 am
Things would be easier if metal-work didn't require the heavy boots, pants, long sleeves and gloves, lol. Be careful in the heat!
:yth: 100%.

My shop is uninsulated - sheet-metal-skinned. Only method of "cooling" it is a big shop fan (can't even run that when I'm mig welding). We've had about 2 weeks worth of consecutive triple-digit days with heat indexes of 110*-115*, with no end in sight. Pretty hard to get motivated to go out there and put on welding shirt, welding gloves, hood, boots and jeans, etc., when the temp in the shop must be over 100*, even with the overhead door up and the shop fan running on high.
:exp:

If I was made of money the first thing I'd build is an insulated, centrally heated and cooled shop.

Red

SeenRed
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by SeenRed » July 23rd, 2022, 2:44 pm

ThinBlue wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm
COVID got me good this week but I still managed to finish up editing another video. Hopefully this coming week shapes up so I can get this girl finished.

https://youtu.be/2Wb7-4wFHMM

I too have been following the vids - very entertaining and have enjoyed watching your progress. :LG:

Red

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 24th, 2022, 1:07 pm

Yes....a dedicated workspace with climate control is a game changer. It is amazing how much more you can get done when you are not constantly fighting the wind, weather and inconsistent lighting of the driveway/garage. And add sound-proofing so you can head out with a beer in the evening and not worry about upsetting the neighbors if your work session runs till midnight!

SeenRed
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by SeenRed » July 24th, 2022, 2:09 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 1:07 pm
Yes....a dedicated workspace with climate control is a game changer. It is amazing how much more you can get done when you are not constantly fighting the wind, weather and inconsistent lighting of the driveway/garage. And add sound-proofing so you can head out with a beer in the evening and not worry about upsetting the neighbors if your work session runs till midnight!
No doubt! And to clarify, I do have a dedicated shop. Nothing elaborate - just a 20x20 steel framed building with a sheet metal skin. I had to build it on a tight budget, so it's neither insulated nor centrally heated and cooled. Just a shop fan when it's hot, and an electric space heater to knock some of the chill off in winter.

I can imagine that in your AZ desert heat, an insulated and a/c cooled shop would be a must! Here in NE Okla, we get both extremes depending on the time of year - frigid cold and oppressive heat. One of these days I'll manage to save enough $$ to insulate - I really like the convenience of the spray-on foam insulation...but it's pretty spendy.

Red

Jabes09
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jabes09 » July 29th, 2022, 1:55 am

Just wanted to shout out you’re buddy who’s helping with your build. I see he’s always wearing a smart union tee shirt and I’m part of smart as well. Railroad side.

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn

Post by Barrion2018 » July 29th, 2022, 10:32 am

ThinBlue wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm
COVID got me good this week

Sorry for not asking sooner, but how are you doing since having COVID?

I got it back in Sept. 2020, it had me down for months, the fatigue was the worst.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying your videos and watching your progress, can't wait to see the next one.

But more importantly, I hope your doing well. COVID is no joke.