Help Please!

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
breches
beginner
beginner
Title: Newb
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Help Please!

Post by breches » January 23rd, 2012, 6:42 pm

I have purchased an electrical cabinet that is 87" tall by 29.5" deep and wide. I might cut the height down some but have not totally decided on that yet. My plan is to make a stumps clone and would like some input from someone who knows what they are doing on how big to make the firebox, how big should the charcoal chute be, and where the chimney should be as well as how big it should be...or is any of this that important. My plan is to insulate this as well and I think while digging around a bit, I have found some ideas on what to use but would also like to know if anyone has preferences. I am very new to this and want it to work when I finish. Any advice, help, or suggestions for the idiot (aka...me) would be very much appreciated. I will post some pics when I get started on this thing provided I don't get to discouraged and give up. Thanks very much in advance for you help and insight.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Help Please!

Post by The Czar » January 23rd, 2012, 8:15 pm

http://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=12

If you decide to get some plans, the Plans purchases help keep this site on the air.

I hope this helps....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

breches
beginner
beginner

Post by breches » January 24th, 2012, 7:38 am

Nevermind, guess I misunderstood. Thanks!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 24th, 2012, 8:32 am

There is a calculator out there but it is very general....I am only suggesting plans as it is very customize to your needs and you get technical support and very clear cut directions..... :welder:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » January 24th, 2012, 8:43 am

Breches you can get lots of good info here! Everybody can give you ideas and suggestions. If you are afraid of getting frustrated, a set of plans makes it less frustrating. less figuring or waiting for an answer. you have it all spelled out for you.

The guys here are great and will help you all they can! Don't hesitiate to post questions.

FYI: I am new also, and have learned alot from these guys!

Just my .02.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

breches
beginner
beginner

Post by breches » January 24th, 2012, 9:18 am

Just didn't understand how the custom plans worked. I had already dug through and considered some of the other builds but have some money in this cabinet so I wanted to stick with using it. I was just going to do what I usually do and start building and hope for the best, but rarely do the things I fabricate work quite like I had hoped. Sounds like a great plan and thanks for the help and advice. My wife has been trying to help me understand that most of my big ideas rarely turn out well without some extra help. I am for the most part a big dreamer with a lack of finishing power. Thanks again!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 24th, 2012, 11:46 am

Like the guy's said... We will try to help in any way! also here is a thread that you might have already seen of a stumps clone start to finish.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=404
SaltCreek did a fantastic job on this smoker!
The pit calc will not be of any help since it is for reverse flow and offset style smokers.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » May 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm

I dont have timme to comment at the moment but ill bump this one and catch it tonight.

Return to “Smoker Clones”