NEW GUY From St. louis,Mo

Tell us a little about yourself!
314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

NEW GUY From St. louis,Mo

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 26th, 2012, 1:56 pm

hey Every one, My names Joe & im new here. I've loved barbecu my entire life & in the past 5 yrs. its seemed to become an addiction. My mom owned a barbecue restaurant when i was younger but back then i was to busy looking for other things to get into other than cooking. Now that im older,she no longer has it due to health issues & lack of help from trustworthy people & i really regret it. Anyway i've owned several oil drum, smokers,webers, charbroil,etc. & im @ the point that im tired of replacing them every few yrs & not to mention getting use to a new the way every cooker is different. I'm in the process of locating parts for my build. i dont need a monster smoker @ this point,just something that'll last & give me consistent cooking. i have an old 60 gallon compressor tank that plan to use as a cook chamber & i plan to fabricate a box from 1/4 in plate. Thats my plan @ least so far. any suggestions from experience builder like you all will be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics as soon as i figure somethings out. thanks

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: NEW GUY From St. louis,Mo

Post by Frank_Cox » August 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Welcome to the site!
Several of us are from right down the road from you! I am from Rolla. We would be glad to help! Check out the calculator on the main page. Ask lots of questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » August 26th, 2012, 2:19 pm

:welcome:
Glad you joined us. As frank said ask away, we will help all we can.
Can't wait to watch your build.
By the way I am one of those just down the road. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 26th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Thanks, glad to know I have help close by, lol. I've been looking @ the calculator to figure out the size of my fire box, intak & stack length & I'm glad I did. I see there's more to it than just picking random sizes, which I probably would've ended up doing until I joined this forum. This will be a good excuse to ask my wife for more tools lol. I have a Lincoln Handy mig which works great on my car restoration but I'm gonna have to take the thicker parts to work & weld them up.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Welcome to the site. A build without questions is no fun.

I'm bout 4 hours to the west of ya.

If ur up to a weekend road trip.....we are having a get togather in 2 weeks here in KC.

Glad to have ya on board.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » August 26th, 2012, 9:13 pm

If you have questions I'm gonna say these guys will have an answer for ya, Frank even has quite a few plans stashed somewhere if you want to go tried and true. Looking forward to watching the build regardless.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

314 Smoking Joe
beginner
beginner

Post by 314 Smoking Joe » August 27th, 2012, 6:11 am

I would love to hit the highway & meet some of you all, but my job is hectic right now & getting more than one day off is out of the question. I drive a ready mix truck & the company I work for is doing the Mississippi River Bridge Project. We've been working 12 hour days, 6 days a week & Sunday is the only day we have off. Hopefully weather will slow us down this winter. Lol. As far as questions go, I've been browsing all the old post on the site & there's some great builds on here. It kinda makes me wonder if my 50 gal compressor tank is big enough for what I want,but like most guys we see someone huge build & want one similar to it lol. I plan on this one just being for my patio & family cookouts so I'm thinking it should be big enough. I do plan on building a trailer rig this spring for tailgating Rams games & possibly setting up a bar b q stand @ my buddies bar on weekends but I'm still do research on certain things & my space is limited. My garage has a 67 Chevelle frame off build occupying it so of I build now then it would have to be parked outside all the time. Thanks for all the welcomes btw. :)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 27th, 2012, 7:04 am

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 28th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Welcome Joe!
I'm another 6 hours NW of SmokerTom and looking forward to your patio build - that's prolly one of my next ones too!

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by smokendink71 » August 29th, 2012, 11:53 am

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by maccas66 » September 2nd, 2012, 2:04 am

:welcome: aboard Joe!, I think the 50 gal tank would be perfect for a patio cooker, unless you have a very big family!

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Return to “Introduce yourself!”