Angle Grinder - Is there a preferred inexpensive model?

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Angle Grinder - Is there a preferred inexpensive model?

Post by SoloQue » October 24th, 2012, 8:04 am

So I find myself needing to shape and reduce a piece of metal and I've decided I'd rather do it myself for a change. Contrary to most of the folks on this site I do not have much of a tool collection and I will be buying a grinder for this task. Is it even worth purchasing a rock bottom priced grinder like from Harbor Freight or should I pony up some cash and get a preferred manufacturer name? Feedback needed and welcomed. The grinder will probably be used for this one project and might possibly hang for a year, but then who knows what tomorrow holds. As always thanks for the shared knowledge.

Solo

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Angle Grinder - Is there a preferred inexpensive model?

Post by SmokinFF » October 24th, 2012, 9:10 am

I'm a big fan of yellow tools. You spend the $$$ on a dewalt use it and hang it up, it will last a looooong time.
Just my $.02

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 24th, 2012, 9:13 am

SOLO!!!
I was worried about ya! Hope your doing good :beer:
Anyway, for the one time job a cheapo would be fine. the biggest difference you will see is I have noticed more vibration with the cheaper ones. If you use a flap disk say a 60 or 80 grit one you prolly won't notice a bit of difference. I use the DeWalt flap disks currently on a DeWalt Grinder.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » October 24th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Sounds great, some of the DeWalt units are in my range and you went ahead and answered my next question about the disks. Everything is cool here in Bama as long as you take into consideration just how crappy my Tigers are this year. TQ has been most gracious and hasn't sent me a single PM on the subject :D My dad was down for an extended visit from Illinois so I was spending all available time with him ... time gets short as the years slip by. I'll post my mighty grinding project (should probably use the humor thread). I had a heat trivet made for the BP in Pops. The 26x20 plate sits about 1/2 inch above the BP which creates a really good heat sink with the dead air space. Right now it is sitting sideways as I failed to account for the rails being in the way as far as dropping the plate in snugly up against the Firebox end of the CC. I used it length wise and was really happy with the dampening effect when I go for higher temps. :kewl: Now I just have to grind off about 1/4 inch and it will drop in nicely, laying wall to wall and flush with the firebox end wall of the CC.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 24th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Solo I have many grinders as you know if you need to borrow one even for and extended period of time it is yours just holler at me and you can get it no problem

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » October 24th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the offer TQ! This one falls into that grey zone of ...hmmm ... the wife won't really mind if I buy this and then I'll have one just in case for later. :homer:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Sounds good! If you can, post some pics of your set up

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » October 24th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Yellow all the way!
Glad to see ya SOLO! Dont worry bout them tigers, ours S@#$ too! Besides it gives an excuse to drink more, you know wash away the sorrows! :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 24th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Good to hear from you Solo - I own makita and dewalt both and they have both treated me right (for about 25 years on the makita) The DeWalt was $99 and I think it's a great buy at that price - even from the welding supply place which isn't known for being the cheapest place to buy stuff... One thing you might try to borrow from TQ is his oldest welding helmet with a clear shield to wear while you're grinding - safety first ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 24th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Second what Rick said please put on a face shield Tyler had toget steel drilled out of his eye last week. My hood has a flip up lense and I love it. that way i dont flip flop so much

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 24th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Yeah Solo.....your back......and spend the money.....don't be stingy on a item that can cut you up...right TQ?

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » October 25th, 2012, 11:16 am

I hear ya on the face shield ... I have appropriated a shield head set from work. We mainly use them for splash prevention but they are impacted rated Z87 as well. I look like a cross between a storm trooper and the Michelin man when I get all the safety gear on we use at work. Lord help me if there is ever an actual fire ... I'd just have to drop it into granny gear and wade towards an exit. :bigfoot:

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » October 26th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Solo - my first grinder was a $29.00 Ryobi. I kept it around to sharpen mower blades and what-not. When I got serious about building a smoker I ran that thing until it burst into flames in my hand, then went and bought a $100 Bosch which I love. So weight it out, if you aren't going to use it a lot right away maybe spend a little less up front. When it finally dies, reconsider your decision. $30 ain't bad if it performs your small jobs for a couple of years.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 5th, 2012, 1:27 pm

SoloQue wrote:I have appropriated a shield head set from work.
I like this word "appropriated" it makes me giggle when I think of what it usally means. hehe

Dewalt, Milwalkee, Bosch, Makita all are solid and the only thing I would suggest is consider the type of attachments you want to use, (spin on or something else) i like to be able to spin on, so I don't have to keep up with loose parts when using something else. My $.02

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

coma44
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Lets Ride!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Squeal Appeal and the Piglets

Post by coma44 » March 26th, 2013, 12:21 pm

I have a few Milwalkee tools and only killed on angle grinder after 10 years of use in the race shop. It was the 12 amp 4 1/2 inch angle grinder, 10 bucks a year was worth it by far.

The SuperSaw I bought at the same time still runs like a champ.

If it ain't BBQ it ain't food.
In need of more steel and time!

Shadrock
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Prickclique
BBQ Comp Team Name: Nope...

Post by Shadrock » November 29th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I did the Harbor Freight thing for a while, I have one about 3 miles from the shop, so it's convenient to swap them out. Believe it or not, their higher one one, actually is better if you go that route. Once you feel them getting hot, let off and let them cool down. That's when they're about to go....

I bought a Dewalt and a Metabo this year, to be honest they're smoother and last longer, but both of them are about to go. The guy at the hard ware store told me the Metabo would be the last one I ever bought, oh well, it sounded good.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 1st, 2013, 7:31 pm

I keep buying the cheap ones for about $20. They last about a year and your can't ask for more than that for the price. I have Metabo as well, but like one of the cheap ones I have better.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”