UDS in cold climate?

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
machinerepairman
beginner
beginner

UDS in cold climate?

Post by machinerepairman » September 10th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Im thinking of building a a UDS and I live in Michigan. My question is, will it hold temp in winter here. Im thinking because of the thin wall thickness, it probably wont work well ( hold temp well ) in the cold winters here. Does anyone else here use them in cold weather with good results?

Thanks,
Tom

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: UDS in cold climate?

Post by Frank_Cox » September 10th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I've used mine all the way down to 10* in the snow and it does just fine. you will need to have the air vents open more than you would in the summer months. it won't burn as long in the colder months as it would in the summer due to the heat loss. most guy's just put a welding blanket over it and it works just fine.

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Post by MattS » September 10th, 2011, 10:04 pm

I agree with frank. I haven't used a UDS in the winter but I have used other smokers with thin walls like them and it just takes a tad bit more heat.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » September 11th, 2011, 9:28 am

I don't have direct UDS experience but I have BBQ'd down to zero a lot here in Nebraska. The packing blanket is a must on a single wall design partly because it reduces heat loss but I believe mostly because it prevents the wind from stripping heat off the same piece of steel you're trying to cook with. Since your draft has to be left exposed I designed an intake cover that seamed to really work for windy days. After the UDS is built and working, try putting a 90 degree intake (ductwork) over the draft that comes out and straight down. Just build it out of scrap tin, sealed against the side of the UDS - maybe attached with magnets. Buy a couple pieces of the extra course scotch-brite pads and cut them with scissors to make a plug and lay a single layer (1/2 inch thick?) of this over the intake. I've experiment with this and you'll be able to keep a birthday candle lit in your firebox in a hurricane. Now your fuel consumption/temp stability/recipe etc all start to work like they did back in July... Hope that helps...

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

machinerepairman
beginner
beginner

Post by machinerepairman » September 11th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I think I'm gonna build one anyway, and if i have problems, I will try a water heater wrap. I really want to build a revers flow smoker, but I haven't found the right material. The UDS will be a fun build, and when I do get the stuff for the offset one, Ill probably donate the UDS to one of my Friends, they love my BBQ :)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » September 11th, 2011, 7:30 pm

that sounds like a good plan! :-bd

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » September 11th, 2011, 9:07 pm

If you have any large friends that work outdoors like I do. Then just ask one of them to donate one of there old blanket lined carhart coats.

Thats what I did. LOL and it works well. He had a 4x blanket lined coat that had seen better days. Stick that coat on her and button it up. Kinda sucks to have to take it off and put it back on but it sure helps with temps.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “UDS Smokers”