Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Re: Lookin for a few good men

Post by Smokeone » December 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Lets see how the return trip goes. Pkg headed your way Solo!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » December 20th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Looks like SmokinFF, CarolinaQue and Mac are the ones still in transit, if they get there tomorrow or Saturday I'll be satisfied.

Rick you're most welcome, hopefully you'll still be thinking that after a few trials :D

That works for me S1 - anytime just drop me a note

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » December 21st, 2012, 7:52 am

Sorry Solo. I got mine, just been busy. I'm workin on a return to sender package. Thanks.

gatewood iron
Expert
Expert
Title: Savant of some sort

Post by gatewood iron » December 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm

The big day is Monday. I'm cooking a butt and ham and your sauce is the main focus for the butt. Any advice?

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm

gatewood iron wrote:Any advice?
My 2 original sauces have a fair amount of honey and brown sugar in them so I seldom add them to ribs or chicken any sooner than the last 30 minutes. You will end up with a deep glaze on the piecess coming straight off the grate, it will just soak in as they sit. For butts, I usually mix in about a 1/3 cup for every butt when I shred the meat. Any more and it might go mushy with the level of vinegar there. That will give you some nice undertone flavor, this sauce makes for a good final garnish before serving. As for the Mustard I have only tried it served warm over some pulled pork as I was plating it up or used to dip some breast strips into. I hope this helps and thanks again for adding the sauces to the menu.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

painer
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ Rookie

Post by painer » December 22nd, 2012, 6:49 pm

I got mine from Solo today and had my spice fanatics do finger tests on the spicy and the fire alarm. Both were HUGE hits. The fire alarm is one of those rare hot sauces that actually packs tons of flavor as well as heat. I even enjoyed it a bit and I hate spicy stuff lol. Going to try the mustard based and the regular sauce on the boston butts in the next 2 days

New to the more competitive style of barbecue but have been a fan for ages.
Located in central Alabama.

SMOKIN JAY
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: always hungry

Post by SMOKIN JAY » December 22nd, 2012, 7:08 pm

puttin the mustard on my baby backs sunday giong to be awesome thanks solo :grillin:

WARNING!!!
My rubs and sauces have been tested on animals!!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 22nd, 2012, 8:16 pm

Overall judgement of the group of 11 that just left was that the spicy was their favorite and they wanted to get back to me on the mustard one. Keep in mind these folks have never had a Carolina anything sauce so be patient. Personally I preferred the mustard one but the other two were certainly above average - you got some keepers there. I'm not a sauce person in the first place so it takes a lot to get my attention... Stay tuned cause i got some more "Q" coming up over the holidays .... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber

Post by maccas66 » December 22nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

hey some turtle named Dude just came to the door with this soggy airmail box, I wonder what it is!! :beer: , Thanks heaps SQ!

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 25th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Tried out the sauces on some ribs yesterday. Gotta say the mustard is the schnit! :points: :points: :points: :points:
Had two testers besides me and all of us kept reaching for the mustard based. It would make a great dipping sauce, and I want to give it a go on a salad. :-o
We did try the other two. Both of which were good sauces. I was the only taker on the hot. I liked it, and think it would go great on some smoked chicken wings.

As usual Solo your products are great! I am glad I make the test dummy list! :D

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 25th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Gonna use the spicy and the original on the TriTips today. I think I will do some wings and ribs later tonight and use the mustard. Might even breakout the fire alarm for the wings and try that!

painer
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ Rookie

Post by painer » December 27th, 2012, 4:29 pm

I finally got my butts done this morning after an all night smoke out. I tried both the regular and the mustard base. I'll be honest - I have weird taste buds - sometimes I go for sweet/tangy sauce and sometimes a more traditional flavor. Today I was in a traditional mood and the mustard sauce was amazing for me. The regular was good, I just wasn't in a sweet mood, I do think though that the regular will be the sauce I have been looking for on my baby backs. Something about sweeter sauces like that I have really good results on baby backs. I really appreciate it again!

New to the more competitive style of barbecue but have been a fan for ages.
Located in central Alabama.

gatewood iron
Expert
Expert
Title: Savant of some sort

Post by gatewood iron » December 28th, 2012, 5:32 am

2 bottles down and a half one to go. The butt and the ham were siezed immediatley along with the sauces right before my unbelieving eyes. You'd think these people hadn't eaten in weeks. So I'm down to a half bottle of original. :kewl:

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 28th, 2012, 7:14 pm

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of y'all that stepped up to the Mustard Sauce taste test. I ended up with 12 members of SmokerBuilder.com sampling the Mustard as well as the other bottles I tributed to the cause. :D So far I have received some form of feedback from 11 of the 12 folks so that's a pretty darn good response rate. From everything I have heard no-one had anything really negative about the sauces and more than a few just flat out gave the Mustard 2 thumbs up. With those results in mind I am locking the recipe and adding it to my available list. Again thanks for all the compliments, I'll probably hit some of y'all up for quote permission some day although I'm not sure about claiming to be "The #1 sauce Down Under" but maybe I'll just make Mac a distributor! If you still have some mustard left, try it on a brisket sandwich. I carried a platter to work and the crew drained almost 2 bottles on about 24 sandwiches. Yeah, I bribe my co-workers with food :kewl: Thanks again to everyone for sharing your opinions, its still just my hobby but its always good to hear when folks enjoy what I come up with and that's another step in the right direction.

SMOKIN JAY
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: always hungry

Post by SMOKIN JAY » December 28th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Yeah lock them down cause them good :-bd

WARNING!!!
My rubs and sauces have been tested on animals!!

CarolinaQue
beginner
beginner

Post by CarolinaQue » December 30th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Sorry I haven't responded yet, but I received the package just a short time before I left for NC and I just returned oday. Haven't had time to try them yet on 'que and try not to form an opinion off of the first taste test. I'll get back to you as soon as I get the time to do a fair analysis.

wsiddoway
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: new member

Post by wsiddoway » January 1st, 2013, 1:10 pm

Solo I took your sauce to a New Year's Eve party and it was well liked. I would say that it is a keeper thanks for letting me try it

CarolinaQue
beginner
beginner

Post by CarolinaQue » January 2nd, 2013, 5:51 pm

Alright...I had a chance to spend some time with the sauces and give it the proper time to fairly test it.

Overall, they were pretty decent with my favorite being the mustard style. I can definately see using it on all things pork and chicken...especially wings. Heck, I bet it would be good on burgers and brisket sandwhiches.

As far as the other sauces (the standard and spicy sauces), I thought that they were good. Not great...but good. In my opinion, they had to heavy of a molasses or liquid smoke after taste and were a little thick in the tomato taste and texture for my liking. But, I could see others liking them. Keep in mind that I rarely like heavy/thick sauces merely because I like thinner sauces because that's what I grew up on.

I do want to say thank you to Solo for offering up his sauces for an honest critique. I know that making your own is a labor of love and a matter of pride. I make my own also. I hope that this helps in some way!

Tim

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » January 2nd, 2013, 7:31 pm

Again, I find myself happily surprised that the Mustard doesn't seem to need a tweek and I appreciate all the comments. I probably give away 2 bottles for every 3 I sell so you are right it really just comes down to pride and enjoying the hobby.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 2nd, 2013, 9:09 pm

My son was over and he said almost the same thing.

That he thought he could taste liquid smoke, then he said well maybe not, thought about it and he said maybe it was more of a vinegar taste. He couldnt decide

I guess my sniffer and taster must not be all it used to be, I have probably consumed to much IRON in the form of grinder dust. Since I am one heck of a professional grinder. !!!

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university

Post by El Gato » January 31st, 2013, 12:54 pm

is this still going on?? samples??