Firebox Door Seal

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
lostbuckaroo
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Firebox Door Seal

Post by lostbuckaroo » February 22nd, 2013, 12:38 pm

I thought I read on here somewhere that the rope/rtv combo won't work on the fire box door???? (only on the CC door) If this is the case how are you all sealing your FB door??

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Firebox Door Seal

Post by The Czar » February 22nd, 2013, 12:54 pm

I don't know who "seals" the firebox door per say....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lostbuckaroo
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by lostbuckaroo » February 22nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

Ok so "sealing" the firebox door (or a somewhat air tight seal) is not as important on the FB door...Like the CC door would be.. ??

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » February 22nd, 2013, 1:27 pm

I didn't us a "seal". As long as your door fits relatively snug against the flange you should be fine. If you look at the picture of the door latch on Frank's 24x36 patio he just finished you will notice the latch hits a metal ramp inside the fb which will keep the door pulled snug against the flange and seems to work really well.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 22nd, 2013, 1:36 pm

Yes it's not as important ....because your only drawing a small amount off air thru the door .....unlike the cook chamber which your not wanting to loose smoke....

lostbuckaroo
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by lostbuckaroo » February 22nd, 2013, 2:00 pm

Miketheforester wrote:I didn't us a "seal". As long as your door fits relatively snug against the flange you should be fine. If you look at the picture of the door latch on Frank's 24x36 patio he just finished you will notice the latch hits a metal ramp inside the fb which will keep the door pulled snug against the flange and seems to work really well.
Got it! That's exactly what I was planning on doing! Thank you

lostbuckaroo
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by lostbuckaroo » February 22nd, 2013, 2:00 pm

dcman (The Czar) wrote:Yes it's not as important ....because your only drawing a small amount off air thru the door .....unlike the cook chamber which your not wanting to loose smoke....

Thanks for your help!

Hambone
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Firebox Door Seal

Post by Hambone » February 25th, 2013, 1:45 pm

lostbuckaroo wrote:I thought I read on here somewhere that the rope/rtv combo won't work on the fire box door???? (only on the CC door) If this is the case how are you all sealing your FB door??
It works fine on my wood stove. Same idea.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » February 26th, 2013, 6:49 am

I must see the world differently because I have to share some experience here....

The think the seal on the Firebox door is as important if not MORE important than the cook chamber. If you build tight with no warpage problems then you'll probably be fine ... HOWEVER, a leak at that location means you have a minimum draft that has nothing to do with your intentional draft setting. Even closed, your fire is still getting air so you can't throttle it back to a solid idle or choke it - a safety feature for killing a runaway (hope you never have one) also a darn handy feature at comps where you want to kill the fire to clean out and pack up for the trip home in short order.

If I close the FB door and draft and install the shunt cap on Edgar (see snow picture on "A table idea... post") that fire will be out in 45 minutes to an hour - not that you could grab it bare handed, but it will never come back to life on it's own at that point.

A wise man once told me about smoker design; "If you aren't controlling the air then you aren't in charge."

jm2cw :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » February 26th, 2013, 6:51 am

Sorry for the double post but all my designs have fire rope on the CC door and it works fine there - hell it's rated over 2000 degrees and most fire boxes I've seen never got north of 900 ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » February 26th, 2013, 7:39 am

make you a door with a sub frame like this and i will guarantee yoo it will seal and not leak I do it on all doors/// cause it is the right thing to do =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

lostbuckaroo
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by lostbuckaroo » February 27th, 2013, 1:08 am

Rick wrote:Sorry for the double post but all my designs have fire rope on the CC door and it works fine there - hell it's rated over 2000 degrees and most fire boxes I've seen never got north of 900 ... :D
Glad you posted it's not too late for fire rope and I've got plenty!

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » February 27th, 2013, 1:24 pm

The first time I fired up ol Pops he smoked around the FB door so I ran out and bought some braided gasket. I bought too large of a diameter and couldn't even get the door closed once the gasket was in place. At that time I wasn't totally familiar with just how good TQ can weld so I had seriously over compensated. I pulled out all the 3/8 cord and went back in `with 1/4. The door was really stubborn but I got her closed. About 2 weeks later on my 4th cook or so I could no longer get the FB door closed and believe me I have a fair amount of weight to close doors with. I stripped out all but the single bottom line of gasket and the beast hasn't wiffed a puff of smoke since.

All that said, it has been my experience that as the metal heats it will do a bit of expanding and forming to where it can so what lightly smokes today just might not at all after a few cooks.

This has not been a paid advertisement of TQ smokers but it is a dang close facsimile to what folks say of his work daily :kewl:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » February 27th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Thanks Solo, I appreciate the Kudos

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » February 28th, 2013, 8:52 am

I can appreciate what you're sayin there Solo ... when you deal with a world class builder like TQ you have to set the fire rope gasket to the door/frame FIRST ... then compress and weld the hinges/latches etc. to allow for the compressed thickness of the seal ... otherwise that will happen.... :D

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”