Suggested flat rate?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Suggested flat rate?

Post by Gizmo » April 16th, 2013, 7:09 am

Fellows I need to know how things are priced in your neck of the woods ....

I've been asked to cook some butts and briskets by several people for graduations/weddings that are coming up and I would really like to hear if there is a flat rate per cut that I could use to be fair to them and me. The procedure I've used that worked best was that I would cook & pull it and put it in a foil pan in the fridge and they pick it up and take it home then reheat in their oven at their gathering a day or 2 later.

In the past I just passed through the price of the meat and I wanted to add this flat rate to each butt or brisket that I cook to keep things simple. These are friends and I want the "local good-guy co-worker" discount price so everyone wins....

A 12-thigh tray of Chicken would probably be the highest due to all the prep needed but is there any such thing for boston butts - brisket flats - rib racks ?

Let me hear from you.... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Suggested flat rate?

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 16th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I really don't do big events but I do plenty of cooking at the campgrounds we frequent. For the most part I do ribs and charge a flat rate of $8 a slab and the customer provides the meat. The $8 covers my prep along with rubs and sauces.

Not sure if this is a good price or not, but no one has ever questioned my pricing.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

wsiddoway
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: new member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by wsiddoway » April 16th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Good rule of thumb that resterants go by. expenses times three

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » April 18th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Clover Ridge Smokers wrote:For the most part I do ribs and charge a flat rate of $8 a slab and the customer provides the meat. The $8 covers my prep along with rubs and sauces
I'm thinking $8 per is a fair good neighbor price for slabs and chicken when you take in the fact you are consuming spices, sauces, foil, container and prep time as well as finish time for butts (Butts and Brisket might go $10 because of labor before and after the cook). Somewhere in there is the pure fact that you are sharing your skills at a modest cost as well so there's my 2cw.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 18th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Thanks guys! :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » April 24th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Meat cost times 1.3. 60% of the time it works every time.

I also worked up a fixed cost rate to run my smoker of $75 if I cook for more than one person they each pay a share of the fixed cost.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » April 25th, 2013, 4:25 am

Thanks AR!

Return to “General Discussion”