Large Pellet Grill (24x48)

AKA- Pellet Poopers
fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Large Pellet Grill (24x48)

Post by fireman_pete » June 7th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I saw some of the pics of your cooker. Do you have any additional picws you can post? What are you doing for a grease tray? Are you using traeger parts?

Would love to know more about your build. My target cooking temp is 275, 300 max.

Thanks!

Pete
lazylabs wrote:I built one that is 3'x6' octagon and run it mostly on 1 burner box. I can get around 300 on the side where the burner is running. I actually have two burners but only run both of them when cooking whole hogs. I usually never cook above 225 so only run one. I guess you would really need to decide what max temp your shooting for. Mine is not insulated but it's 3/16" plate.

lazylabs
beginner
beginner

Post by lazylabs » June 8th, 2013, 10:01 am

I do use traeger pellets, usually apple for the first hour and then mesquite. I can get any pics you want to see. I use a heat diffuser about 2" above the firepot. I then have a full length of 16ga about 6" below the cooking grate that is just angled down to one end and a catch can under it. I would do a LOT of things different if I built another one but this was my first try and the last bit was rushed. I really built all the firepot/auger setup/forced air the day before we cooked a whole hog the first time. Don't recomend that either....LOL

fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by fireman_pete » June 9th, 2013, 10:49 pm

I would love to see some pics of your firepots, auger feed and air blower. Also of your grease pan set-up. Cooking whole hogs, have you ever had an issue with grease fires?

What are the key things you would do different if you did it again?

Thanks!

Pete

lazylabs wrote:I do use traeger pellets, usually apple for the first hour and then mesquite. I can get any pics you want to see. I use a heat diffuser about 2" above the firepot. I then have a full length of 16ga about 6" below the cooking grate that is just angled down to one end and a catch can under it. I would do a LOT of things different if I built another one but this was my first try and the last bit was rushed. I really built all the firepot/auger setup/forced air the day before we cooked a whole hog the first time. Don't recomend that either....LOL

lazylabs
beginner
beginner

Post by lazylabs » June 17th, 2013, 8:56 am

Things I would do different

My firepots are mostly external but I would make a removable side to them for cleaning without removing the grates or grease pan.

I would make the doors with more overlap so they seal better

I would make baffels in the middle so when running one burner your not losing heat to the other side.

I would make the the pellet hopper wider/shallower to help with bridging. I have a tall now hopper with a fairly small opening to the auger and if I stack pellets more than about 8" deep they tend to bridge and it goes out. I think for now I will just install a strip of metal that gets moved a little by the auger to keep everything feeding.

I am going to install a little propane torch for starting instead of the "hot rod" that traeger uses. I completely clean out he auger tubes after I run it and since it takes a couple minutes for the pellets to make it back to the burn pot the traeger controller shuts the ignighter off. I just shut the controller off and turn it back on to reset the cycle.

I have had a problem with ash building up on the top of the hot rod and then the pellets get really hot and smoke like crazy but fail to light. This has caused two flare up incidents. The first one almost got me really burnt......... massive amounts of smoke coming out so I opened the lid and BLAAAAAAAM instant ignition. I am guessing it ran out of oxygen due to such a smoke build up and when I opend the door it had gotten hot enough by then and when the oxygen hit it the fireball started. It got the hair on one arm/side of head and half melted the fleece pullover I had on. I figured with the forced air being pumped in that that kind of problem would not happen.......... wrong. I now light with both doors wide open!!!!!

lazylabs
beginner
beginner

Post by lazylabs » June 17th, 2013, 8:58 am

To answer your question......... no flare ups cooking hogs.