I need help choosing my first welder.

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Patricio13
beginner
beginner
Title: Beginner
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

I need help choosing my first welder.

Post by Patricio13 » July 9th, 2013, 2:01 am

Hello I'm planning on building my first smoker out of a 250 gallon propane tank. I have no welding experience but I'm a fast learner. I been doing some research and I think I should get a mig welder. Is there a welder for around $300 that will do the job? If not what is the least expensive welder that will. I don't have a shop so I will need it to run on house outlet. I found a few for a decent price on Craigslist but not sure if there any good. Thanks for your help.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: I need help choosing my first welder.

Post by The Czar » July 9th, 2013, 5:00 am

Welcome aboard....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 9th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Thanks. I found a Chicago electric mig 170 for $125. Will that do the job?

Radcon
beginner
beginner
Title: Member

Post by Radcon » July 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Welcome! From one newby to another.

You should be able find a used Miller or Lincoln Electric brand 110v welder in your $300 range. One of those would last much longer, and there's far more support for them. The Chicago would probably work, but I don't think they are near the quality of the above two.

Good luck with the search.

Josh

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 9th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I would agree with Radcon. The Chicago types just don't perform like the name brand ones. Jump on Craigslist and do a search.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 10th, 2013, 12:04 pm

In my opinion, I know everyone has one. It is so much easier to weld with a better machine than something that will just barely do the job. It takes someone that is pretty good at welding to weld with a less than adequate welding machine. I know you don't want to spend a ton of money, but wait and look for used machines. Most machines up to 200 amp will run off of your dryer plug at home. If you are like the rest of us this will not be the last smoker you build and the machine will last a very long time.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 10th, 2013, 5:44 pm

I found a few welders on craigslist. Is a hobart handler mig good for $300. Its a older model but if its good I will get it. The guy said its comparable to a handler 135. Also if anyone would like to look at Craigslist in my area in Santa Fe New Mexico and see if you see some good deals. Thank you guy for your help I can't wait to get started on my smoker.

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » July 10th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Hobart is definitely a decent name in welding, but I don't know the specifics on that machine. I'm sure one of our welder-junky brethren can fill in the blanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » July 13th, 2013, 7:28 am

Patricio, If I where you as a beginner I would go for a lincoln AC/DC stick welder ( tombstone style because of the shape ). It will weld anything you will need. Most used ones can be had for well under 300$. There are several on C.R. in your area. :welder:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 13th, 2013, 9:58 am

Blazer, I looked in his area on CL and the only thing close to what your describing was 1 ac tombstone looking Lincoln. :huh: I've used those and they are terrible to work with. :headwall: If it won't weld dc it isn't any good as far as I'm concerned. :help: As for the welder that Patricio is looking at the Hobart, I don't have any experience with that one, but if it works it I "think" it would do the job.

jmtcw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » July 13th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Rodcrafter, I agree a AC buzzbox is nothing to weld with. But I'm pretty sure that I did at least one or two AC/DC machine's on there. Myself I wouldn't weld 1/4 with a 110 welder. jmtcw. ;)

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 14th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Thank you guys for your help. I few 220v AC/DC arc welders but they look like older models. Should I go with a older model and is a 110v really that bad to weld 1/4 with. I got a buddy with a generator if I need he said I can borrow but I would rather be able to run off my 110v so I can use when I want.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » July 15th, 2013, 6:49 am

welding 1/4" with a small welder is going to be very slow. You must realize if you have a 20% duty cycle you can only weld continuously 2 minutes out of 10. Also if you do not grind all the mill scale off it is going to be a big challenge. I have several welders and I do have a Lincoln 140 mig that runs off 110 it is used mainly to tack with if I am in a bind or weld thin tubing. If you are going to build a cooker save your money you can get a good used welder if you look hard enough.
Been a master welder for over 30 years small migs are not made for 1/4" plate

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 15th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Ok thanks what do you think about older models I found a few used older arc and mig welders on CL.

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 15th, 2013, 6:25 pm

One of the welders I found is a Older Hobart Beta Mig 200 That needs a gun for $300. Is that a good deal? And how much do guns run? Thanks.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 15th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I would have to say that I would want to buy a machine that was complete, so I could make sure it works.

I say test drive that rascal.

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 17th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Hi everyone I'm still looking for a welder. I found this one and a few similar to it. This one is a Lincoln 220v AC/DC arc welder that comes with various welding rods for $200. It looks pretty old but if its worth it I don't mind.
Attachments
00c0c_45nx3ghuTsj_600x450.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 17th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I had the 250 like that it was powered with single phase 240 volts. It worked great I had it for 20 years before it was stolen and I never had a bit of trouble out of it. Did a lot of very heavy work for many years.

So my vote is go for it. I would say it isn't much money anyway and it would get you building sooner.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 17th, 2013, 9:48 pm

I bought one of these about 25 years ago and I still have it and works great. For the money you really can't go wrong.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » July 17th, 2013, 10:36 pm

When you are talking about Lincoln buzz boxes like that, age is irrelevant. I have literally used one that was probably 40 years old and 1/2 buried in the dirt floor of a shop. It actually had so much dirt inside the casing that the internal fan couldn't run anymore.

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » July 18th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Patricio13 , that is one of the machines that I saw on CR in your area. The term buzzbox normally refered to the machines that were only Ac, DC+ is much better. That machine would do you fine in my opinion. But I would put 150 under there nose and see what happens. :welder:

Patricio13
beginner
beginner

Post by Patricio13 » July 25th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Hello everyone I'm still looking for a welder. I decided not to get the AC/DC welder and hold off for a bit to see what I find. I Think I'm going to stick with a MIG welder because I hear its better to learn on. Also I don't have a shop so I will be welding outside someone told me its better to weld with flux core outdoors. Is that true? Here is a welder I found that seems like a good deal but I never heard of the brand.
00X0X_7nMKkAs6d3v_600x450.jpg
00X0X_gdG2eNJrN8X_600x450.jpg
00202_9JSm7SxIR7H_600x450.jpg
00808_7RGqwQI0LtH_600x450.jpg
Here is what the description said
I have a 200 amp body shop quality welder in GREAT condition. It comes as pics show with an 11 lb spool of .023 welding wire, and a small spool of .035 flux coated weld wire. This is a dual voltage welder with all the bells and whistles and is in perfect working order and ready for your home or start up body shop! Compare with any other machine with the same features for thousands more. Does not come with gas regulator or bottle. Has 25' power cord and 12' leads. Asking $395.00 OBO

timsatx

Post by timsatx » July 31st, 2013, 11:09 pm

Dude, check out the Northern Tool Mig 140i. I have read some super good reviews along with comparisons to Lincoln. It is also ready for a spool gun and sells for $349.

coma44
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Lets Ride!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Squeal Appeal and the Piglets

Post by coma44 » August 7th, 2013, 11:50 am

I just got this one from Eastwood. It is a 220 volt welds to 5/16 with flux core wire has provisions for shielding gas and comes with everything you need. I had not ever welded with flux core until this weekend. I like it and I like this welder better than the 1800 $$ MILLER we use at the race shop.

I bought it with the plasma cutter for 1099 delivered. Have not tried the plasma yet but if it is any bit close to the welder it will be like gold !

http://www.eastwood.com/versa-cut-60-an ... o-kit.html
Attachments
IMG-20130806-00105.jpg

If it ain't BBQ it ain't food.
In need of more steel and time!

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”