Wick's first build; 80 gallon RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Wick's first build; 80 gallon RF

Post by Rodcrafter » July 17th, 2013, 7:32 am

I know it would be easier to do some of the things you mentioned. But it looks like it is fairly easy to move around now, adding more weight that doesn't need to be there just for counter weight, I wouldn't. You are going to add the shelf under it, and maybe a shelf on the front, these are things that serve a purpose. I would start there and if I needed to do anything
else maybe a counterweight for the CC. All of these things will help. You may even want a handle on the end to pull it around with. This is weight that does things for you.

jmtcw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » July 17th, 2013, 10:13 pm

I'm with Rodcrafter on this one.

timsatx

Post by timsatx » July 18th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I am looking at building one too. How much did that bottle weigh? When I do mine I will have to figure out how to lift it.

Wicked4x4
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: 80 gallon RF
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...soon I hope!

Post by Wicked4x4 » July 19th, 2013, 10:14 am

timsatx wrote:I am looking at building one too. How much did that bottle weigh? When I do mine I will have to figure out how to lift it.
i have no idea what the tank weighed with no motor on it, but i'd guess around 200+ Lbs. the firebox is a bit over 160 Lbs.the RF BP is about 50 Lbs...so that is already 400 Lbs. then add the legs, the wheels, the racks, the stack, my 11Lb spool of mig wire, FB basket, etc. should be a fair amount over 500 Lbs. this actually surprises me, i'd have guessed an end result over 600 Lbs, but maybe it's not that much?

as far as lifting it. i'm not a big guy, but i could muscle one end of tank up on sawhorse, then the other, without it dropping and crushing me. i stepped on my own ass lifting that FB up and down onto my weld table, but managed. but really, without borrowing that cherry picker, i don't know how i would have welded the FB to the CC, or the legs/wheels to it. may have needed to drive an hour out to have my dad lift/hold with his tractor.

Pork Butt TOMORROW!!!

Wicked4x4
Title: 80 gallon RF
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...soon I hope!

Post by Wicked4x4 » July 25th, 2013, 9:51 am

so i smoked a pork butt in this thing last weekend, along with a dozen chicken thighs. it all came out amazing!!!
....but, there are no pics so i guess it didn't really happen.

i was able to regulate the temp much better this time. i actually had to cover the stack about 3/4 or more and nearly close my FB intakes completely. i was able to maintain my temps around 230-250 fairly easily when i got that dialed in. didn't seem quite right that i needed to do that, but i guess hot air just pulls through there really quick.

also, i was playing with the pit calculator; i started with an 80 gallon tank, but i also cut into the end bell and inserted the FB in it, which i guess takes out some of the volume of the tank (not sure how much, 5 gal maybe?). and my FB was already a bit on the oversized side (better bigger than smaller i read). below are my calculations:
@ 80 gallon tank, FB is 20x20x18 = 117%
@ ~75 gallon tank, FB is 20x20x18 = 125%
so maybe my FB is well oversized on this tank, and reason i need to dampen it all down so much? i don't really want to complain here, i'd rather have a smaller fire in it and know i can crank temps up real quick if i need to, better than being undersized, right?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 25th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Absolutely! You never know when you're gonna want to cook some pizza at 400 and it sounds like that's a reachable temp for that rig… :D

Remember to sneak up on your fire first and take notes … then you'll know how it behaves and how to anticipate it….

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 28th, 2013, 9:41 am

:yth:

I really like the term "sneak up on it" I know what Rick is saying when he says that because that is what I've done too. It is MUCH easier to get the desired temp and hold that temp adding a small amount of wood as often as needed after the initial fire has burned down to coals or began with coals. You are among the fortunate when your FB is a bit larger than it needs to be. It is hard to work from the too small FB.

It is like learning anything, we need to make small adjustments until we get good at it.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........