water and smokers?

Forum questions and assistance
smokinwelder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

water and smokers?

Post by smokinwelder » July 18th, 2013, 9:50 pm

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said my smoker would be better if I had a water something? I have no idea. Maybe a pan, tray, or mister? Does this ring a bell to your guys? :beer:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: water and smokers?

Post by Pete Mazz » July 19th, 2013, 7:06 am

I prefer beer and smokers!

I always use a water pan but I go vertical.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 19th, 2013, 8:32 am

Yep....beer and smokers.....that should be dipped in gold....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 19th, 2013, 10:20 am

I've used a water pan for a while, but I don't anymore, I'm convinced at this point that meat being a muscle doesn't absorb moisture from the smoking environment. It is made known by this fact the meat "dries out" while cooking is evident that the moisture is coming out of it not going into the meat. I've also noticed that the water pan causes the temp to go up and down according to how much water is left in the pan. Also that the water pan becomes a "heat sink" requiring as much fuel to heat it as is needed to cook the meat. So I don't use one any more, I may spray something on the surface of the meat if it appears the surface is going to dry out too much, but I know it is not getting inside it.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » July 19th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Yeah scrap the water pan unless it serves a functional purpose as a heat sink like in backwoods or in WSM. Even on those models many users fill their water pans with sand or some other substrate instead of water. When Frank reads this he will have a bunch of math and atmospheric pressures and BTUs and such to prove that water pans are useless, but I'm not going there.

In my RF I spray the meat with water more for the purpose of helping the rub dissolve, not to add moisture. In my Chuterdoo I use no spray because that thing makes its own water and the rub dissolves nicely on its own. If your meat needs moisture more than likely you need to foil it part way through the cook and allow an appropriate amount of rest. Rest is crucial to keep meat moist after cooking.

I can't say water cookers are all bogus since guys like Myron Mixon use them with immense success, but I will say that I personally don't find them useful.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 20th, 2013, 7:25 pm

:yth:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.