New build..oil tank question

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Tank style..given the choice

Post by Puff » August 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Welding and cutting equipment is in place...daughters wedding is completed, new puppy pees outside and the log splitter is finished...so I am getting the spot ready to start building the smoker. I don't really plan on doing this twice so I have a few options. Natural gas came down the road and I have a nearly new 275 oil tank given to me by a friend... I also can get a typical 175 to 200 gallon propane tank to build the smoker.

What might the differences in the completed smoker that would dictate one style tank over the other...is there a preference?
My real concerns are for temp regulation and cook quality. Firewood is no problem. Hurricane Sandy solved that
Thanks in advance

Al

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Re: Tank style..given the choice

Post by Blazer » August 12th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Puff, In my opinion go with the propane tank , I have built many out of 275 oil tanks. They are thin. :welder:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » August 12th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Temp regulation will be easier with the propane tank.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » August 12th, 2013, 8:41 pm

propane propane or pipe!!!!! Or rolled plate!!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » August 12th, 2013, 8:45 pm

I have to agree with the others and vote for the propane tank. You will not regret having the thicker metal when it comes to heat control. Are you planning on mounting this on a trailer? You will find tons of different builds on this site. Take a look around and see what features you want to put on your own build. I also would suggest visiting http://www.smokerplans.net and investing in a set of plans for your build. It really takes the guess work out of designing the most important parts of your cooker.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 12th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Actually, now that this had been decided, I'm ordering the plans from the site once I have the tank in the yard ..hopefully in a few days...that was never a question...what I don't know about smokers could fill , well a big smoker.
I don't mind the work, I just insist on quality and performance and at least I'm smart enough to let the experts tell me how to get it done the right way . As for the trailer, yes. It may not travel more and a few hundred feet from the house but not having the option would just be crazy....

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » August 12th, 2013, 9:34 pm

OK Puff, you are officially addicted like the rest of us on this site. Welcome to the club.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 13th, 2013, 1:16 pm

:welcome:

I agree with everything I read. Go for it!!!!!!!!!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » August 13th, 2013, 2:39 pm

:welcome: :yth:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 1st, 2013, 12:46 pm

I have another question....a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

I have been reading like nut and see several questions in the making of this RF smoker. I really will prefer to find a smaller propane tank to use but I have to admit, handling big weight is going to be a problem here at my house...just not really equipped for it. Keep this in mind though....I am mighty #%^& determined.

As mentioned, a friend dropped off a 275 oval oil tank that is in nearly new condition. So new I should replace my 550 with it... However it is here and clean. I understand the need for steady temperatures with little deviation.

Is it at all practical to build using this oil tank but wrapping the shell with another steel layer and insulation in between? I saw the box on the forum made with concrete nail stand offs to keep the batting in place... Any thoughts on this or is it just better to bite the bullet and get the propane tank. I know the extra work involved and the higher build cost in wrapping the oval tank with more steel...is the trade off crazy thinking?

FYI, not afraid of hard work, just getting older trying to do it...one of those things where your 60 year old brain tells your body it thinks its 25....until you actually do it.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » September 1st, 2013, 5:21 pm

I would say its not just a matter of extra work or cost but in then end the propane tank will make you a happier camper and you will get several lifetimes of use out of it... :kewl:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 2nd, 2013, 10:23 am

Got it....Finally, thanks. Going for the propane tank

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 2nd, 2013, 8:37 pm

Good choice Puff

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 6th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Started the topic clearly saying..." I am going to do this only once so I want to get it right". With All of the suggestions to go with the thicker propane tank, my first build is going to be the 275 oil tank that will be given back to the friend who gave it to me originally to use.
The man has become a nice friend,helpful and found me a set of wheels for my monster log splitter. I'll gain the experience and hell get a great smoker not as actively used as it should be, but he'll enjoy the heck out of it...

The plans were downloaded only a few minutes ago and I'm ready to start drawing on the tank tomorrow. Steel shop will be happy to see me on Monday. Any thought before diving in? Please just say so.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 6th, 2013, 11:43 pm

In the 25 minutes I am reading the plans, I can see the dimensional stuff is pretty easy but I am finding a good chance, I'll be a bit confused on assembly having never seen one before. Might there be a source of an oil tank oval smoker photograph with some of the details revealed? My next best guess is to call Frank!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » September 7th, 2013, 7:58 am

Yep, call Frank!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » September 7th, 2013, 5:44 pm

He does have plans for that tank....but there are some threads on here ....it's just a matter of finding them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » September 8th, 2013, 2:38 pm

The following thread was built using that set of plans
Click here : Oil Tank smoker/rotisserie aka FRANKENSWINE
here is another one not built using the plans
Click here : 275 Gal. Fuel Oil Tank Offset Smoker

Hope this helps!!! :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 8th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Hi Frank,
Bought your plans and placed the tank on its back to measure and cut. I have a few questions on the door details and while I will gladly call, I hate to bother you and be a pest. The door cut was very fast. Used a sawzall with metal blade and it took maybe 25 minutes to go around the entire perimeter. Turns out,my friend left the tank with about 15 gallons of oil still in it. After I drain and mop it up, is a good burn the best way to clear it out or should it be "washed" or glass beaded, etc?

If your prefer that I call , I will but here is a brief preview of my questions

1. Is it a good idea to tack a 1" flat stock to all of the edges of the doors with an overlap like the center seam? Seal or cosmetics?
2. The door lock assembly is something I just cannot visualize in my mind. Do they slide left to right or drop in up and down?
3. Regarding the fire box... Am I creating a slide adjustment for the damper or am I not understanding the print out?
4. The fire box door detail is messing with me also...is the angle iron making the door have a lip on it that goes into the fire box opening when the door is closed?
5. This particular oil tank has formed sides, it is not flat...you can see a little view in the top photo below. I assume it is acceptable to weld a 1" angle iron to the top edge of the throat on the firebox/tank radius cut to act as a support for assembly when getting it ready to weld and likely remain a permanent part of the smoker?
6. What is the purpose of the baffle plate cut outs? Is it to fire the rotisserie? I am thinking I would rather just weld a plate in from the right end firebox side to the other end with the right amount a space at the left side ??? After all it will just simply rest on the curvature of the tank as I see it? That would be an easy fit and weld , unless there is some great reason to keep the baffle cut outs In the design? What is the baffle plate length with the right side welded over the top of the fire box throat to the open left side? By the way,I don't think I am using a rotisserie. Using the oil tank wasn't my first choice so I figured I'll build this and give it back to the friend who gave me the tank, he gets a free smoker and I gain a boatload of knowledge for my propane tank smoker next in line. The rotisserie is still not decided on....but to guess I need to plan either way
7. I don't see the racks for the interior of the smoker in the print. I assume I can weld in a set of sliding tracks and a center support to make a set of 4 slide out shelves for the inside or just two full length ones? Of course I only assume. After looking at so many pictures on the site, this was my thinking
8. What material is best to use for the 6" id smoke stack nearly 3' tall?
Thanks for all of the help.....Al
Last edited by Puff on September 8th, 2013, 11:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nuttin' special yet! Just a cut out

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Sorry but the last one showed up first and the first one is at the bottom

Puff
Expert
Expert

New 1st smoker..first time build with updates included

Post by Puff » September 10th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Here are the new developments on my 1st smoker build. I have asked 20 other questions all over the forum and bought my plans a few days ago. I had a friend drop off a 275 oil tank that was only a few years old knowing I was planning to build a smoker. He told me since it was in near new condition, he could not just cut it up as trash. So...

My plan was to go with the propane tank. Bt he was great to think of me and since I am new at this, I will follow Franks plans and make a smoker....to my friends surprise, next year when I get the propane tank finished, he will get this one back...ready to enjoy after I use it a bit ;)

I will continually update you all here with a few pictures. These are just the first cuts but tomorrow is my first visit to the steel store.
image.jpg
Oil tank on its side
image.jpg
image.jpg

Puff
Expert
Expert

Re: New 1st smoker..first time build with updates included

Post by Puff » September 10th, 2013, 8:22 pm

The last picture IS upside down...no idea how that happens. There was also about 19 gallons of oil left in the tank but it was loaded with sludge so I won't be pouring it in my tank

Adding a trailer to this thing... Even with the cut out parts, it weighs too much to move without any kind of equipment. For me, it's either a tractor with no loader or pto or my pickup and a chain!

Puff
Expert
Expert

New build..oil tank question

Post by Puff » September 10th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Where in this design,will be the best place to monitor temperature from? Where will the thermometer go?

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert

Re: New build..oil tank question

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 11th, 2013, 6:34 am

I'm not overly familiar with this design, but you want to take your temp close to where your meat is setting.