Stainless Steel Smoker Build

Tell us a little about yourself!
BBQBobby

Stainless Steel Smoker Build

Post by BBQBobby » September 12th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Hey fellas,

Im starting a Stainless Steel Smoker build, out of a Co2 tank from a restaurant. The tank is about 6ft tall and weighs just about 250lbs. Ive searched all over and i cannot seem to find any info from previous stainless steel builds. I want to do a reverse flow with a steel (non stainless) box. My question is what kind of problems do you think I might come across, i have plenty of scrap ss. I also have 3 tanks, and each tank has an inner ss tank that was soldered on with nickle i believe.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Stainless Steel Smoker Build

Post by The Czar » September 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I can't think of any other than having to tig weld everything....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BBQBobby

Post by BBQBobby » September 12th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I did come across some information about welding regular steel (the firebox) to stainless, which the info says you cant do that but doesnt say why. I'll post some pics of the tank and plans/drawings of what I am going to do throughout the build.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » September 12th, 2013, 8:08 pm

You can weld stainless to carbon as long as you use a stainless filler material. Mig ,tig or stick.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » September 13th, 2013, 7:06 am

Yes you can weld stainless to carbon all day long. You can use tig, stick, or mig. The procedure calls for using 309 filler metal but it is not necessary you can use 308 or 316 does not matter. If using the mig process use a tri mix of helium, argon, and co2 it will weld great!!!!!! I would grind the mill scale off the carbon just for the fact it will weld better. Stick is very hard to weld out of position ie anywhere other than flat or horizontial. Using the mig process go flat, horizontial, or vertical down. heli arc ie tig does not matter and any position will do but on thicker material vertical up is better than vertical down!!!! But if you cannot walk the cup with tig it is gonna take a while

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Post by Blazer » September 13th, 2013, 8:55 am

AH walkin the dog, my favorite !!!! :welder:

BBQBobby

Post by BBQBobby » September 13th, 2013, 2:06 pm

TuscaloosaQ wrote:Yes you can weld stainless to carbon all day long. You can use tig, stick, or mig. The procedure calls for using 309 filler metal but it is not necessary you can use 308 or 316 does not matter. If using the mig process use a tri mix of helium, argon, and co2 it will weld great!!!!!! I would grind the mill scale off the carbon just for the fact it will weld better. Stick is very hard to weld out of position ie anywhere other than flat or horizontial. Using the mig process go flat, horizontial, or vertical down. heli arc ie tig does not matter and any position will do but on thicker material vertical up is better than vertical down!!!! But if you cannot walk the cup with tig it is gonna take a while
Thanks for the advice. Im definitely going to keep that in mind. I hope to have pics up shortly.

P.I.G.HOG

Post by P.I.G.HOG » November 14th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Hey BBQBobby, Just got a co2 tank that sounds like yours. I was told it is double walled and I might have to separate the layers. How is yours coming along?