Need some help on 45 degree pipe cut

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Need some help on 45 degree pipe cut

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2013, 6:02 pm

My 6" chimney is on top of the tank ready to be sliced on a 45 degree cut for about 12" from the end and then weld it to the rest of the pipe into an "L". It gets welded to the side

My chop saw can't handle it so I guess I'll need to draw a line and use the cutoff wheel to cut it. I have no ideas on how to accurately draw the line around the 6" tube

Any suggestions? Thank you....Al
image.jpg
This shows the upper slide out tray finally fitted!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Need some help on 45 degree pipe cut

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 25th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Have you considered running the stack out the top? This would eliminate the need to cut the 45. If that's not an option, I would use a large speed square and make several dots along the 45 on 2 sides of the pipe. Then use a string to connect the dots and draw a line. It may not be perfect, but close enough that you can fill the gap when you weld it. You also might want to practice first on a smaller piece of scrap pipe before doing it on the 6"

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » September 25th, 2013, 6:59 pm

:yth:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2013, 7:09 pm

CRS, Thanks for the plan....I would do the top but Frank's plans say "side mount"

I have no experience with smokers other than the wish that it performs GREAT... I have modified a few things that add a nice feature here and there, but they have no effect on the intake or exhaust functions, which I believe are the more critical design demands. I don't think that would effect the flow but I have no clue and I have really tried to keep every dimension as written.

I am also planning a corrugated metal roof with the legs screwed into the ports on top of the tank...just enough to keep undesirable weather from cooling the tank down in the event. I can run the stack thru the roof if necessary if it is ok to top vent it. Hate to call Frank and pester him but maybe that's a good idea ;)

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » September 25th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Cut you an elongated hole slip the pipe in it draw around it and cut it... Fits like a glove. Or do as Clover Ridge indicated!!!!
Set up your dividers and draw a circle the diameter of the pipe, then drop down 3/16 off the center mark and draw another circle, do the same thing on the top side and the hole will be elongated!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Thank you again Q !!!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Here's another question. I need 936 cu.in. Of chimney volume. That makes my 6" round tubing 33.5" long.

Does this length mean any shapes the entire length equals or strictly the vertical section. My plan calls for an "L" shape
So is the total parts of the pipe added up to get 33.5 plus the 12" horizontal extension from the side mount

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 26th, 2013, 5:37 am

Possibly an idea? Hold it in a bucket of water at your desired angle. Mark the edge of where it's wet.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » September 26th, 2013, 6:07 am

Lots of good ideas there. Having a dressmaker's tape measure in a shop drawer is invaluable for working curved surfaces. Using that tape you can draw a circle around the pipe at the neck of the angle and another circle the diameter away from it at the tip. Since a 45 degree angle always runs between these 2 lines you can connect the 2 lines center to center with the dressmakers tape and trace the edge with a sharpy on both sides. Perfect 45 degree cut line. I too have a 4-1/4" band saw that won't cut 4 inch pipe at a 45 so I've done this a couple times….

Whichever way you go you might post pics of it - might make a good "sticky" :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 26th, 2013, 4:50 pm

THAT is really another great Idea ! I will surely get one of these plans to work and will post the pictures as my progress updates continue..Thank you Gizmo

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 26th, 2013, 6:21 pm

After I had gotten home from work, I gave a try to a few of these ideas. The easiest one is the water basin from Pete Mazz. But, by the time I. Lay down a 4' long 6" pipe, I need a big water tank that I could not quickly find ..so, that was out

Then I used my wife's ( who as a quilter has a ton of these measures) dress makers tape, measured the correct dimensions and cut the circles into 4 90degree sections and drew out the line at the two intersections as Gizmo suggested. Seems like the right thing to do..

But.... The easiest thing to do quickly is the Tuscaloosa Q technique of the oblong circles. This method seems to be nearly foolproof since every pair of angles equals 180 degrees no matter what

I had no 6" template for a circle so I used the roll of Franks gasket material set to a 6" ring
image.jpg
image.jpg
Draw the line around the template and use your best tools to make the cut. In my case it's that $@/#% 3" cutoff wheel and as steady a hand as I can muster. To make the line more visible, I'm just gonna spray the one side with some white paint and follow the edge :points:

Thanks all !!! For my next trick.....welding 14 gauge tubing without blowing holes through it with a DC stick welder :o

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 26th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Great work puff. You've just experienced why this is one of the greatest sites on the internet. People helping people.
Glad we could help

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 26th, 2013, 9:07 pm

You won't get an argument from me. I have discovered that with my little skill... a bunch of enthusiasm and the help of the guys here, I have started a project that has great promise to do some very cool things. Oops...hot things!

I have friends who can't wait for this to be finished... I can see this thing chugging away, the sweet smell of smoke in the air puffing out of the stack, music playing in the far corner of the yard, a few tables loaded with other foods to compliment the ribs and brisket, pork and a few chickens 20 different conversations going on at the same time and then..coolers lined up on the other end of the barn....the doors on the smoker swing open and the line begins to form! Whew..what a dream

While I'm certainly not finished yet, I do thank you all

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » September 27th, 2013, 5:26 am

Similar to what we do in my cabinet shop, using a large piece of paper, if you drew a 45 degree angle on the paper and then wrapped it around the pipe, would that maintain a straight line on the pipe?

Just thinking out loud....

In reality, I posted before I saw your solution.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 27th, 2013, 8:05 am

Hey Pete, I would think that your idea on paper can work as well . So, you're a woodworker? I am a hobbyist woodworker and have a passion for building acoustic hand built guitars

Since you are this close, were gonna have to go get that sandwich!, Al

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » September 27th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Puff wrote:I have friends who can't wait for this to be finished...
Tell those friends, if they come over to help it would be done quicker, then you could all enjoy that Q. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » September 28th, 2013, 6:27 am

Puff wrote:Hey Pete, I would think that your idea on paper can work as well . So, you're a woodworker? I am a hobbyist woodworker and have a passion for building acoustic hand built guitars

Since you are this close, were gonna have to go get that sandwich!, Al
Never built instruments but sounds interesting. Started out doing restoration work then got into residential custom casework. Did that for years and when that market took one of its dumps went into commercial and institutional. I do mostly health care related work but right now we're doing a new coffee shop in South Jersey. Whatever pays the bills!

For fun I got into speaker building and home theater in general. Here's a set of MTM floor-standers I built for my brother.

http://petemazz.x10.mx/m8n_mtms.htm

Maybe we could check out that bbq joint in the Trenton Farm Market.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 28th, 2013, 7:24 am

Wow...very beautiful work ..I'll bet he is happy... They look very pretty and I'm betting they sound terrific. Did you coat the ply to allow the veneer to stick or can you use alternative adhesives with paperback?

Trenton is only about 30 minutes or so from me. We have gone to the stadium there on occasion

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 28th, 2013, 9:19 am

:hijack:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » September 28th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Sorry for getting derailed....

We spray contact cement.

Return to “Fabrication How to's”