Stack...

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Stack...

Post by swamperjmb » October 5th, 2013, 7:07 pm

How far down do you guys run your stacks into the CC? Are they flush or do they run down to the the lowest grate..

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Re: Stack...

Post by Rev.Mike » October 5th, 2013, 7:51 pm

this has been a debate for some time, IMHO i ran mine just inside enough to get a good bead on it, ive read threads where some have doe it both ways and cant tell a difference,except for a jambo build, only thing i could think of to run it to grate level is for looks, JM2C. im sure someone else will chime in on it

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 5th, 2013, 8:57 pm

:welcome:

I put mine flush and not over the food if it is going to be a long pipe. I say that so build up in the stack doesn't drip on the food as the cook happens.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 6th, 2013, 7:10 am

:yth:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » October 6th, 2013, 7:30 am

I had mine placed just over the lower grate so the elbows are positioned over the FB rather than coming down from the top, I agree with avoiding the "drip". I've always operated with the thought that I didnt want a straight line exit of the rising smoke in the CC but rather I wanted the heated smoke to "roll" a bit as it was pulled back down before exiting the CC and hopefully encircle or flow over and around whatever I am smoking. jmtcw

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Post by swamperjmb » October 6th, 2013, 7:11 pm

OK thanks for your inputs. I am building a reverse flow with a 125 gallon D tank and was curious. I have done smaller ones before but not reverse flow. I have kicked around the center fed Idea for some time but already cut the whole on the end for the fire box... If knew how to upload a pic I would..

swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Post by swamperjmb » October 6th, 2013, 7:12 pm

*I*

countyworker
beginner
beginner
Title: ISMELLBACON

Post by countyworker » October 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

So if the calculator calls for a 30" length that includes whats in the chamber if he wanted to put it down to the lower grate.The 30" just using as an example.

countyworker
beginner
beginner

Post by countyworker » October 7th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I have been debating on my stack placement at the top or lower of my reverse flow, alot of different opinions my tank is 37.5 x 91" calls for a 8 inch stack 31" long. Thinking of putting at the top sticking down a couple inches to make a removable extension to test. What ya think and sorry for jumpin on the post.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » October 7th, 2013, 2:16 pm

I think the pipe extention for purposes of a test is a great idea. I would really like to see temp numbers compared with and without the extension of say something like 4 zones (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). To my knowledge no one has ever posted this type of data on this site. Maybe none of us own 4 therms to use as one time :D

my set up is hard piped out the end at the bottom or else my curiosity would have had this experiment completed a long time ago. :kewl:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

countyworker
beginner
beginner

Post by countyworker » October 7th, 2013, 2:54 pm

My build won't be completed for a couple months, I have the firebox completed and put it to the side, pulling the boat out and getting ready for winter storage and bow season is in. When completed will do the test and post.

swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Post by swamperjmb » October 7th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Great Idea Solo. I wish that would work for my application but it wont. I thought about adding a warmer but have the smoke almost go full circle from the CC through the warmer. I don't know at this point, I'm still in the first stages so anything goes from this point on :D

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”