Counter weight

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Counter weight

Post by swamperjmb » October 9th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I need to know how to set up the counter weight on the door of my smoker. Any ideas or tricks?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Counter weight

Post by Rodcrafter » October 9th, 2013, 3:18 pm

What seems to work the easiest for me is to use about 2 in. square tube, cut one end at a 30* angle the other square, cut 18 in. long to use as a standoff and then an 4 in square tube almost as long as your door, welded to it in the center to create a T. Tack weld the angled end to the door about 8 inches from the hinge's edge. Check to see if the door opens enough to give you the proper access, if not change the angle a bit at a time until it does, if so then the next step is begin filling the 4 inch tube with whatever steel you have. The cheaper the better, some folks use re-bar, add until you feel you have enough weight to serve your purpose. Remember if you make it too easy to open, it may cause it to leak then also you may need to add latches to keep it closed when in transport.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 9th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Everything RC said is correct. (annoying isn't it?)

I like to add lock lugs that are small tabs with holes welded down in the corner of the door/tank that you can lock a padlock into for traveling. Both CC and FB. I usually carry stuff inside the cooker so I don't want the door bouncing open. Plus going into eat somewhere keeps prying passer-bys out of there while it's in the parking lot. Surprising how much of a crowd will form to "study" a cooker when they think no one is around….. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Counter weight

Post by The Czar » October 9th, 2013, 11:08 pm

I hate to admit it but RC is on the point...and Rick too...dang you guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

swamperjmb
beginner
beginner

Post by swamperjmb » October 10th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Thanks. I did something unorthodox and it works well and looks very similar to what you guys stated.. This project will not be finished until spring or when I get more cash on hand. I all I have left is the FB and the CC to deal with. I bought a trailer and got the tank for free and had most of the other metal just laying around.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » October 10th, 2013, 7:14 pm

The pros have spoken

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”