Alright, formalities being over...

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Mmmmm » October 21st, 2013, 1:27 pm

Let's get down to brass tacks. As I said, I'm a complete newb at offsets. Y'all are gonna hafta educate me.

First of all, fuel. We have no hardwoods at all in south Idaho unless sagebrush counts, so it's gonna be charcoal with chunks for smoke. I've heard that reverse flow smokers gobble fuel. If you were in my shoes would you build a traditional offset with baffle plates or would you go reverse flow?

We have a place that has acres of used propane tanks for sale. In my mind a fatter shorter tank would be easier to get even heat distribution but am I missing something? They also have longer skinny tanks as well of various sizes.

If... I got a longer tank, would a center feed be preferable?

I'm thinking I'll start with the smoker and then keep my eyes open for a trailer or axle that fits the finished product.

I'm sure all ask all sorts of other stoopid qvestions.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 21st, 2013, 5:42 pm

Start with a UDS ....that should be a mainstay in your army of cookers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Alright, formalities being over...

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » October 21st, 2013, 7:40 pm

You are correct, off sets do like to use fuel. But with that said, I personally like the food off the offset over some of the other types of smokers out there. To help you make your decision there are a few different things you need to take a look at. Offsets require a babysitter since you have to add fuel every 45 minutes to 1 hour. Other types of cookers like the UDS are almost "set it and forget it" Also you need to think about the amount of meat you want to cook at once. Offsets can be built to almost any size and allow greater flexibility in sizing. You also need to think about fuel. Offset traditionally are always wood fired. If hardwood availability is an issue, offsets are almost out of the question.

There are other styles of smokers that you may find appealing. Gravity feed or pellet may be good options to look at. I guess the good news is there are several options but it really depends on your objectives.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » October 21st, 2013, 7:56 pm

What CRS said. If wood isn't available, I would say an offset pit is about the least desirable type of smoker out there.

Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Mmmmm » October 21st, 2013, 9:09 pm

@ DCman,

Duh! [slaps forehead] I thought a UDS was a given - something to do while building the offset. That goes without saying, thank you! :P

This is interesting. Somewhere I was reading recently and whoever was writing the online blog said he always uses charcoal in his offset. I think he was running a Yoder or similar. Here it is, I found the link. http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_tec ... okers.html

Anyway, objectives:

I am no expert but I do have a small local reputation for decent Q. Occasionally I am asked to cook for large events. For example, recently I did a wedding and cooked 34 butts in a 29 hour marathon using the setup pictured below. I enjoyed it but would like to be able to do large cooks like this on one cooker. I am no stranger to the pellet cookers - I was an independent dealer of both the Traeger and Green Mountain brands for years. However I got bored with the oven simplicity of the pellet cookers. From there I migrated to the Weber kettles for the challenge of controlling fire and smoke. Still enjoy the kettle, but this summer I inherited a Big Green Egg from a great uncle and so I've been playing with that as well. I've also used upright water smokers, etc. My goal is to have a large smoker that I can pull around and cook large quantities of meat in an acceptable amount of time. Image

I do have a UDS in the works as well like I said but that's still shy of what I want for capacity.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 21st, 2013, 9:13 pm

Consider talking to Gizmo about a centerfed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 21st, 2013, 10:20 pm

A charcoal chute would be an awesome addition to the mix.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 22nd, 2013, 5:49 am

Edgar is a centerfed RF that's stingy on fuel, usually run on charcoal with wood chunks added for smoke…. :D

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=377

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 22nd, 2013, 6:22 am

Yep you are getting some good stuff there :BDHorse:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » October 22nd, 2013, 6:29 am

Gizmo, how long would Edgar run before a refuel? Hoping my centre feed does the same as my rf offset which us about six hours....

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 22nd, 2013, 6:40 am

WOW - 6 hours on an RF? Just WOW!

I added a #10 can of briquettes every hour to Edgar and the temp never wandered more than 5 or 10 degrees…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » October 22nd, 2013, 7:02 am

Yeh my little new brunfels that I modified, I sealed it all up good and proper, and I had a basket of coconut shell briquettes with a coffee can minion method. Ran for six hours with no attention at all, keeping 250F solid all the way.

My centrefeed that im doing thats very similar to Edgar, I was hoping that would acheive the same. Maybe its the fuel... These coconut shell briquettes are apparently very good for long burning.... Very little ash too.

Pete.

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » October 22nd, 2013, 7:07 am

Also whats a #10 can, can you give it to me in milliliters please. We dont have cans sized by # in the queens country.

:-P

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 22nd, 2013, 7:15 am

It's about 75 Kingsford briquettes…..

Edit: ….. it's about a gallon size can but now i can't remember if the #10 can or my chimney was 75 briquettes….

Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Mmmmm » October 24th, 2013, 5:00 pm

So, to be clear, am I understanding that without cut and split hardwood I should forget getting into the trailer mounted smoker business? Other than the cost of the charcoal, what am I missing? Lump or KBB produce heat all right, and wood chunks produce smoke.

Really want to know why using charcoal would make an offset undesirable. If it is cost of fuel, I would think that on a large cook my cost per pound of meat would still be less than using a half dozen smaller cookers. I would think that a single cooker would be more efficient than so many patio models.

Thoughts?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 24th, 2013, 6:08 pm

I just measured a #10 can. It's 6 inches diameter by 6.75 inches tall. Just a tin can but a darn handy one and always free if you know anyone in the food service business…. :D

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but charcoal does not make an offset undesirable in any way that I'm aware of. Build anything you want and burn almost anything you like.

I don't happen to live where the correct type of hardwoods are easily available and freight will kill your budget shipping it in. So I use charcoal or lump for heat and add a little (hard to get) hardwood to the top of the coals for smoke - WORKS GREAT!

Anyway - build the smoker that's a little bigger than you need and you'll always be glad you did…..

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » October 24th, 2013, 6:38 pm

I agree with Gizmo, I have a couple of small offsets that I fire with lump and use hardwood for flavor. I personally am not a fan of KBB for a couple of reasons. I don't care for the flavor and the amount of ash it creates is ridiculous.

I also have a trailer unit offset and have used a mix of lump and hardwood and have had great results.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » October 24th, 2013, 6:40 pm

:yth: :D

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » October 24th, 2013, 7:07 pm

You should try coconut shell briquettes, barely makes any ash, really surprised. Burns long and slow and hot. Its great.

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » October 24th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Definitely not saying charcoal cannot be ran in an offset, but if I knew charcoal was going to be my fuel I would probably build something that is more tailor made for that fuel, maybe in the UDS family. But I do love an offset and would probably want one too. If you are going with an rf a center feed may be your best bet.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 25th, 2013, 6:49 am

I really like offset, I also like the "tending of the fire" if I have time to pay that much attention to it. I also agree that you can cook a lot in one cooker that way and not be checking so many fires but rather just one. Charcoal is good and then just adding the wood you want for smoke is a good method. After all the meat only takes smoke in up to about 160* then charcoal for heat is all you need. One other nice thing about charcoal is you don't have to worry about over smoking because your wood wasn't burning hot enough. Just adding wood to a charcoal fire you won't ever have that issue.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » October 26th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Where you at in Idaho Mmmm? Beautiful country out there. I can't wait for next October to go back. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: Re: Alright, formalities being over...

Post by Mmmmm » October 26th, 2013, 10:20 pm

SmokinFF wrote:Where you at in Idaho Mmmm? Beautiful country out there. I can't wait for next October to go back. :beer:
I'm near Twin Falls. I've been through Weiser hundreds of times. I used to own a Northwest lumber hauler and I did two trips a week right up Hwy 95 and back.

You really need to check out the White Bird / Grangeville area. I'm told it's the best kept secret in hunting.

I don't hunt myself, so what do I know.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”