pork loin recipe

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

pork loin recipe

Post by agspecialties » December 2nd, 2013, 11:28 pm

Guys i have looked all over for a good pork loin recipe tonight with no luck. I have looked at so many of them but none sound good. I am wondering if any of you guys have any good rubs or recipes that we can try on a pork loin.
We tried to do a loin this past weekend and it was good. The taste on the outside was great, but once you got to the middle it was a little dry.

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: pork loin recipe

Post by El Gato » December 2nd, 2013, 11:47 pm

i use this and inject it, IT IS AWSUME!!!
http://www.stubbsbbq.com/products/marin ... -marinade/

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 3rd, 2013, 7:24 am

Pork loins can be notoriously dry if even overcooked just a little. Get it off the heat at 140 and let it rest till it gets to 145. Besides that, any old rub will do. I'm a "coat with mustard, season with rub and finish with turbinado or brown sugar" kind of guy.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » December 3rd, 2013, 7:30 am

I like to cover them with a bacon weave and some pork rub like a fatty. The reason they dry so easy is there is no fat. I do take it out like Pete said but remember it is done even if you see pink and you will.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 3rd, 2013, 7:44 am

I split it lengthways.
Lay bacon strips inside the cuts.
Sprinkle rub over the entire inside while it's opened up.
Close it up like a fatty like RC said.
Wrap the outside with a bacon weave to hold everything together - probe and bake.
I don't pull it until the bacon is done and that means around 165 core temp - Seems high compared to the others that just chimed in but I've never had a dry one this way…. fwiw :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » December 3rd, 2013, 8:27 am

When it comes to a pork loin I go with the 24 hr brine in a vac pack bag. After 24 hours I let it sit in cold water and keep changing every 15 minutes until the water stays clear. Give it a quick shake of your favorite dry spices, set the smoker to ~220 and let that beast slow roll to 165. Pull and roll in foil and let rest in a cooler for 45 - 60 minutes. Should find yourself with a very moist well seasoned loin ready for slicing.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

agspecialties
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by agspecialties » December 3rd, 2013, 9:22 am

Thanks guys
This is what we did last Saturday and we ended up with two dry loins. We rub them both and let them sit while we got the smoker going. When the smoker hit 225 we put them on. for the first two hours we kept them on the smoke till 120, then we took them off and wrapped them in foil and put them back on the smoker till 165. Pulled them and let them sit for about 20 minutes. unwrapped them and man they tasted great on the outside of the loin, but man when you got to the middle, holy cow they were dry but still juicy, if that makes any sense???? Going to try again this weekend. Thinking of injecting this time and letting them sit in a sauce for a little bit also. Planning on doing a couple of different things.
Will keep you guys posted.

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » December 3rd, 2013, 9:51 am

Not my recipes, but have done it and its good.

Things you will need:

About a 10" section of pork loin or a tenderloin
1 package of cream cheese
some dried spinach
cotton twine
black pepper
salt
Ranch dressing dry mix
your favorite dry rub (you can find my dry rub recipe in the rubs thread)

1. Get the cream cheese and pork to room temp.
2. Using a fork blend 2 tsp of the ranch dry mix in to the cream cheese.
3. "Flatten" your pork loin. Starting at the top cut it long wise to create a 3/4 flap and continue cutting the 3/4 flap until you have spiral cut that allows you to roll out the loin in to a flat sheet.
4. Using a spatula spread the cream cheese mix over the entire surface of the flattened loin
5. Sprinkle a few tbs (to taste) of the dried spinach over the entire surface.
6. Add fresh ground black pepper.
7. Dust with salt
8. Roll the loin up in a spiral like you might do with a pin wheel and tie it. I start by putting a tight loop on one end, then on the other end, finally one in the middle. Then I take a very long piece and tie a loop on one end and then roll the loin and wrap it with the string abut every 1/2 inch from one side all the way to the other. Keep it taunt. Tie it off using one of the extra bits of string from the first loop you tied on the end.
9. Dust it with dry rub.
10. Cook it at about 300 using an indirect method until you reach an internal temp of 140. When you pull it, wrap it in foil, then in a towel and put it in your oven or in a cooler and let it rest for an hour.
Once the rest is done, use a sharp knife and cut it in to thin pieces and serve. Yellow rice and steamed broccoli might go well along with some grilled mushrooms.
Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 3rd, 2013, 11:06 am

That sounds good grabber.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 3rd, 2013, 4:02 pm

Dang it. Now I'm hungry again.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Return to “FOOD!”