Egor

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Egor

Post by SmokinFF » December 20th, 2013, 5:53 am

It's great that you have Eli standing by and watching his little brother come to life. He'll keep an eye on his firebox while you build the CC. Excellent work Gizmo!! :LG: :beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Egor

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 6:17 am

Thanks for the kind words guys! :D

BigT I'll be building the CC from 3/16 sheet metal. In fact the whole rig is 3/16 except the BP and FB door - they're 1/4.

Puff that handle actually acts as a strong-back to help stiffen the door at the free end too - sort of designed itself. I like a fairly fat handle on the FB cause I'm usually running it with big gloves on.

SmokinFF Eli is leaving Saturday with his new owner so I better get busy.

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 20th, 2013, 9:29 am

Nice work Gizmo, I'm thinking of a similar plan for my FB, basket and ash pan. Nice work!

:LG:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

vizion
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by vizion » December 20th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Nice work Gizmo, I wish my shop looked as nice as yours does...

I'm the only one with a vizion... everyone else wears biphocals...

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Thanks RC - Vizion ! :D

Vizion - that's the 8th shop I've built in my lifetime - I learn something every time I build one so they keep getting better over the years…. sort of like cookers….

RC what I'm building right here is the result of a lot of trial and error over several builds …. just about every part has a reason for being the way it is ….

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 20th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Perfection as always Gizmo

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 20th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Nice advance planning on that handle. When you think about it...it makes more than perfect sense. I've had to pull my welding gloves off too many times to take hold of something that could have easily had more space around it by design. Great to have that experience behind you.

I have one shop started 33 years ago. I've moved things around 800 times. It's still not good. I could use a nice 30 x 40 pole barn. I could also use a big lottery win

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Thanks CRS and Puff! :D
Puff if you hit the lotery don't forget your old buddies here at smokerbuilder.com …. :ymhug:

I finished the FB tonight.

Open

Closed

I didn't think to take a picture of the back - too boring …. just a 4 inch horizontal slot along the top to weld up to the CC.
:D

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 20th, 2013, 9:59 pm

What is the thickness of the FB... Is it 1/4" ?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Only the door is 1/4". The rest is 3/6".

bstory
Expert
Expert

Post by bstory » December 20th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Are you going to insulate any of this cooker or is the 3/16 good with the 1/4 fire box door and 1/4 baffle plate? That looks awesome by the way.

bstory
Expert
Expert

Post by bstory » December 20th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Also do you like those latches. I bought some for the cooker I made for my father inlaw but didn't end up using them. I have 2 pair.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 20th, 2013, 10:15 pm

:LG:
do you install temp gauges on all of your FB's ?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 21st, 2013, 6:27 am

Thanks for the kind words bstory and BigT! :D

@ bstory - Short answer: No insulation is needed. I hope I like those latches - this is my first design with them and as RC says - "it's just steel" so if they don't work I'll just cut them off and redesign. THeoretically they should be the best latch method of all for any cooker door short of gravity.

Long answer: My very first cooker was back in 2009 was a $59 Chargriller offset end-fed made of 13 gauge chinese steel and it darn near worked. I figured out later that it was wrong on the calc numbers (throat size etc.) - not the metal thickness - a suspicion that led me to this forum in the first place. After some research I found out that the rest of the world was converting these to propane to fix the problem so I did too. Since it wasn't legal for KCBS comps a buddy of mine bought it from me with the conversion and his son-in-law is still cooking with it.

The benefit of a 1/4 inch BP adding some mass/temperature stability is, for me, worth the added weight and expense. The benefit of having a more warp-resistant 1/4 inch door (from heat and rough use) is also worth it to me. I'm also going to enjoy seeing the look on the guys face that rear-ends me in traffic and discovers Egor is fine and he's the one heading for the body shop with his "crumple-zone" front end on his plastic/tin vehicle.

Besides, if CRS can run 1/4 inch walls on his cookers in Minnesota at -800F below zero then I can surely get by with 3/16 in Nebraska with typical temps running a little warmer.

@ BigT - Short answer: I think a gauge has it's place on an RF firebox door.

Long answer: I learned way back on my charcoal box experiments in 2009-10 that the gauge on the FB door on an RF tells me what is going to happen to my CC temp in about 20 - 25 minutes - pretty handy once you get on to how to read them. I found with Edgar that I could watch the FB gauge and set my FB temp by adjusting my fire size and airflow with much quicker feedback to the point where my CC never moved. Don't get me wrong - hitting and holding temps on an RF while cooking "Q", complaining about the government and doing 12 oz curls is a lot like herding cats. But it's a lot more fun if you have the right equipment. The extra $20 gauge fits in that category. My hat's off to the old-timers that can hold their hand over the FB for a few seconds and say; "that's about right" and get by just fine. Pays to know your equipment but historically-speaking I'll probably sell Egor before I really know him.

:D

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » December 21st, 2013, 6:34 am

Pretty impressive Gizmo. Nice design on your fire box. :kewl:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 21st, 2013, 7:09 am

Nice Gizmo! I'm glad your mind never sleeps, makes life easier for the rest of us! :beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 21st, 2013, 8:33 am

Nice work, Gizmo I like the idea of the t-gauge in the FB. I never have tried that, but it does make since. What is the high end of the temp on you gauge of choice about 1200?

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 21st, 2013, 8:44 am

Thanks Smurf! :D

RC I would love to have 1200F but the highest temp I can find is 800F and I usually cook with a FB temp around 600 - 625F. So you have to stay on top of it. You also have to make sure it's behind a shadow plate - in my case it's the solid (14 ga.) end panel of the basket.

If anybody sees a 1200F with only a 2.25 inch stem let me know! :-B

dwwantasmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Redneck in training

Post by dwwantasmoker » December 21st, 2013, 12:38 pm

Gizmo, I like your idea of this temp gauge on the firebox do you mind if I use it on my build and what distance do you have from your basket plate and the temp probe ?

By the way :LG: and all you guys on this site have been great help. Thanks again.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 21st, 2013, 1:37 pm

I've only got about a 1'4 inch between the tip of the stem and the end panel of the basket. The actual temp is not as critical as the repeatability - you'll get used to it as you cook with it and you'll know what different FB temps will mean to the CC.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 21st, 2013, 4:12 pm

Hey Gizmo,

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on the idea of putting a long stem T-Gauge just inside the throat opening below the BP inside the CC? I say that for anyone who may not have room inside the FB for the stem and shadow plate. :-B

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 21st, 2013, 5:25 pm

RC I think that would be scary close to the FB temp.
Should work fine.
Are you planning on putting the gauge stem through the main tank/CC so you can read it? :-B

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 21st, 2013, 5:37 pm

Gizmo, you mention a shadow plate in the FB. Is this the solid front on your fire basket? Or, is the something else in there to kill a hot spot? I may have a place for your 1200 thermometer... The people up the road are ceramics artists and have kilns in their basement....I'll go ask this week

EDIT: looked up analog pyrometers ....perfect for your needs and they go up to 2000 - 2300 degrees.... Cheap too...lowest price I found was about $85.00. Sorry, nice idea....digitals use ceramic thermocouples... Accurate and repeatable but too pricey

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 21st, 2013, 6:30 pm

The end panel of the basket is the shadow plate on Egor.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 21st, 2013, 8:11 pm

Gizmo wrote:Are you planning on putting the gauge stem through the main tank/CC so you can read it?
I think I will and we can use it for the sake of testing. :ympray:

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”