Changing Springs and Pit Placement

Haul in here to talk trailers.
J.R.'s Butt Hutt
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Changing Springs and Pit Placement

Post by J.R.'s Butt Hutt » January 9th, 2014, 11:50 am

Hey Yall,
I salvaged two eight lug 6000lb axels with brakes from a 39' travel trailer. They are double eye springs. Can they be changed to another type of spring, slipper maybe or something else? I think I am going to need my trailer to be as low as possible because of my warming cabinet height. Also, should I build the pit first and then place it on the trailer before determining where the axels go? The trailer frame is complete with the floor and it's old axels have to be removed and the salvaged ones reattached. It is going to be a climb on rig.

Rodcrafter

Re: Changing Springs and Pit Placement

Post by Rodcrafter » January 9th, 2014, 1:26 pm

#1. Yes, you can change them out for another sort of spring. But I would say first look at the attempt to flip the axle over and allow the spring to come from under the axle, then use shackles on one end of the springs to allow them to move. I've done this many times it works great, you should still have a couple of inches between the frame and the axle for spring flexing.

#2. Yes, I would build the pit first, then place it on the trailer and adjust according to the real weight so it is in the right spot.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

J.R.'s Butt Hutt
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by J.R.'s Butt Hutt » January 9th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks Rodcrafter,
You looked at my drawing back in June. It was under Reverse Flow titled "last chance to tell me what you think"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 11th, 2014, 11:46 am

Go for it! You will be glad you did.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Trailer Fabrication”