Calculator Question about Vertical Offset Build

Forum questions and assistance
GlennInDFW
beginner
beginner

Calculator Question about Vertical Offset Build

Post by GlennInDFW » February 25th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I am designing and building a vertical offset. The smoke chamber will be 1/4" plate and the firebox will be 1/2" plate. I am using the calculator to determine the correct size of the cook chamber, firebox, chimney and intake. Section (B) will contain a deflector plate and tuning plates.

My question is this.

Based on the diagram below, when entering the dimensions of the cook chamber, should I include the overall size of the container (A and B) which would be 40" X 32" X 24" or should I only include the portion used for cooking (A) which is 30" X 32" X 24" ?

I assume it is the entire chamber, but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Calculator Question about Vertical Offset Build

Post by Rodcrafter » February 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Yes A and B are the CC dims. So you are going to have a deflector plate and Tuning plates? So you will have to block the bottom of the FB opening so as to not allow grease back into it right?

Welcome to the fun.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

GlennInDFW
beginner
beginner

Post by GlennInDFW » February 25th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Thanks for confirming the CC dim for me. Yes, the plan is to place the FB intake about 2 inches above the bottom of the CC. I plan to place a ball valve at the bottom of the CC for grease drainage and cleanup. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want a fixed water pan above the tuning plates. If I do, I will use a ball valve for drainage/cleanup. If not I'll have either a removable pan or simply place large foil pans the bottom rack to provide moisture in the CC.

GlennInDFW
beginner
beginner

Post by GlennInDFW » February 25th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I'll post a drawing to illustrate the concepts/features I am thinking of incorporating into the design. I will post it in a more appropriate forum and provide a link here.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 26th, 2014, 7:03 am

Cool looking forward to seeing it.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rob_Sic

Post by Rob_Sic » February 21st, 2017, 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am planning a build of an offset vertical smoke also. I see your posts are from over 3 years ago so I'm guessing you're finished. What hints can you give me when planning my smoker build? Also, you mentioned a calculator. Where or how can I access the calculator? I am trying to calculate the size of my FB. I am anticipating a CC of 72H x 42W x 32 D though I may go a little smaller. Still not certain.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 21st, 2017, 6:05 pm

Rob,
If you are using a phone to visit this site, you can't see the calculator tab on each page at the top. But you can go to the tab called Forums and then you will see the tab for calculators. I don't use the calculators on my phone it drives me crazy. Which really isn't a drive.

Making memories!