Centre feed smoker, but like a normal offset RF smoker...

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Centre feed smoker, but like a normal offset RF smoker...

Post by PetesMeat » March 3rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Was thinking today about my centre feed smoker. I know usually you have a baffle that has a gap at each end and an exhaust in the middle, but I got thinking, whats to stop you having the baffle open at one end only with the exhaust at the opposite end.... It would be like a normal RF offset but with the heat entering the baffle area in a different place. Would this work? I kinda feel this would be better than a normal RF smoker as the heat would not enter at one end and cause a hotspot at one end. It would obviously cause an area of dead air on the blocked side of the firebox though.

What do you think?

Pete.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Centre feed smoker, but like a normal offset RF smoker..

Post by Gizmo » March 3rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

I think that could work.

I also think that since one end is trapping air and presumably building up heat and the other end is ventilating the hot air out that the 2 ends are going to heat differently.

Which means you're going to want to be able to move location where the FB/throat is to balance the heat distribution so the temp is more even down the length of the grate.

Don't ask me how to move an entire FB/throat to "tune" the rig but I think that could be important.
I wonder if there's a way to calculate where the FB/throat should be….. hmmmmm :-B

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Centre feed smoker, but like a normal offset RF smoker..

Post by Puff » March 3rd, 2014, 10:08 pm

Depending on the location of this calculated spot, it seems like you can conceivably come back to an offset RF! Cool concept, would an adjustable second exhaust have any value in removing the area of buildup?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life