Smoker Trailer Build Help Needed..

Haul in here to talk trailers.
dbear
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Smoker Trailer Build Help Needed..

Post by dbear » March 28th, 2013, 11:14 am

hey guys, I am planning to build a smoker trailer. I am gonna use one of two propane tanks, one is a 24x62 and the other is a 24x68. I am going the reverse flow route with a square firebox on the rear. For trailer size, I am considering a 5x10, with a 4 foot tongue length. 3500 lb axle. A-frame coupler. The frame with be probably 4 inch channel, and the crossmembers being 3 inch channel. 1/8 in diamond plate for deck.

The trailer axle formula says to put the axle at about 48" from rear of the trailer frame....but it also starts talking about tongue weight and such. With the smoker closer to the rear, should I move the axle back more than the standard 60/40 rule?

I also thought of doing the trailer a bit smaller ( deck size ) to 4x8, just so the material cost would go down....which would be some but not much.

Any thoughts on which tank to use....one is about 6 inches bigger, so I really don't see any benefit, but I am new at this and not sure what the best route is.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Re: Smoker Trailer Build Help Needed..

Post by alleyrat58 » March 28th, 2013, 12:43 pm

As far as axle placement, I like TQ's method of notching out the trailer and moving the smoker forwards or backwards until he gets the tongue weight where he wants it. I would definitely go more on tongue weight than on measurements.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » March 28th, 2013, 2:33 pm

:yth:

As for the tank, I would say if you cut off the end bells, use the bigger one. If you don't cut em off, flip a coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » March 28th, 2013, 7:11 pm

I would also use the bigger one. and the TQ method is awesome!
On another note if you want to save money use some 2x3 angle for cross members and do them on 3 foot centers. 3" channel is a bit much unless you are getting a good deal on it

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » March 28th, 2013, 7:59 pm

My thoughts are this....4" channell way overkill I would personally use 2x3x14gauge tubing It will be light and very strong... You can use 11 gauge on the main frame and tongue but i would use 14 gauge all the way. I am fixing to post a trailer that is 38" wide and has a 2000# axel ( a 2000# would be plenty for your build) I use 3500# on all my 250 builds but I get a tremendous deal on trailer supplies) The cooker I am going to post tomorrow night is 24 O.D. by 54 with a big warmer and cabinent style doors. It is one of my favorite builds in a long time because it is so versitile. It is compact with a removeable tongue that if you had a big patio it would fit and when you wanted to roll you could throw the tongue and go. I am trying a new paint out today i sprayed the inorganict zinc primer today and am going to top coat in the morning. I aint bragging yet But..... I think it is going to be the Truth as Tyler says. These are my thoughts and only mine but i think it is sound at least by opinion anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

dbear

Post by dbear » March 28th, 2013, 9:33 pm

I was gonna use the 4 inch channel because I already have it and got it on the cheap. I also have 2 sticks of 3 inch channel as well, which I would use as the centers....believe me, I would much rather use the rect. 3x2, because for one it looks so much better in my opinion.

I am gonna go with the larger tank, with that said....question for TQ.....How big would you go on the trailer? I was gonna use a 3500 lb axle because I get trailer supplies cheap as well....I can get a 3500 lb idler axle for about 85.00. Not sure how cheap that Is, but it seems pretty good though. With the size tank I am using, would you suggest going 5x10 or 4x8?? I guess with the larger deck surface I can add more goodies. But the smaller deck surface, the trailer would be easier to store. Can I position the tank closer to the side of the trailer, or does it need to be centered???? Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » March 28th, 2013, 9:55 pm

I would go 4x8 with that size tank you will have plenty of room and the trailer will not overpower the rig ie look bad!!! I can understand using the channell if you have it I did not know that. If you look at some of my builds I step my cooker into the trailer frame for 2 reasons it gives me som play on tongue weight and it also gets the firebox recessed some I think it looks good, tight and compact. I am sure you will do AN excellent job!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Simpleaim
beginner
beginner

Post by Simpleaim » April 4th, 2014, 9:04 am

TuscaloosaQ - I know this is an old post but exactly what do you mean by "I step my cooker into the trailer frame"? I read another post where you mention this but I didn't understand that.

Thank you.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 4th, 2014, 11:55 am

It you look at pics of TQ's builds you will see he ties the trailer frame right into the FB.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Simpleaim
beginner
beginner

Post by Simpleaim » April 4th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Thank you!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 5th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Following TQ's advice has provided me a great mobile rig with a solid trailer. The trailer came out so well, I should really build another one just to use as a.....trailer. The 2x3 box tubing has a very nice look to it but I thought I was supposed to use 11 gauge all over so it is a little heavy but , it will last a very very long time. With a 275 oil tank and a 30" long FB the trailer is just under 8' long...4' wide and uses a remove able tongue for elimination of black and blue knees with a notch for the FB. So while I'm at it....THANKS AGAiN, TQ!

By the way, my axle is about 16" from the the end of the trailer but the FB overhangs the end about 10" for a total of 26".

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life