Seasoning and painting questions

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Seasoning and painting questions

Post by PetesMeat » April 26th, 2014, 1:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I am nearing the exciting moment where im going to light my smoker for the first time. It is currently unpainted, unseasoned virgin steel.

So one question which has been stuck in my mind, and im pretty sure i already know the answer but thought id check. Its a stupid question, get ready for it....

Do you paint the inside of the cooking chamber or firebox.... im guessing no....

The paint im using is spray rustoleum bbq paint. Does anyone have any advice for this, thin layers, build it up thick, cure it with heat, or what?

And when it comes to seasoning, as I understand it, you get the thing hot, spray it with oil and let it sit then spray it out with water and repeat, is this correct? I was also wondering, some woods have more tar etc in than others. Is it a good idea to maybe use a more tarry wood (like pine?) to season with... a build up of the tarry stuff might help prevent rust? Rust is the real thing im worried about here.

Thanks for any advice,

Pete.

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Seasoning and painting questions

Post by DUAYNE B » April 26th, 2014, 1:38 am

Howdy Pete, I use the rustoleum highheat and sprayit out of a gun. If it is warm there then you can spray without thinning, if it is cool then yu will want to thin according..... no paint on the inside anywhere, firebox or cook chamber, if you can have it blasted first, that is best then season. If not, scrub it out real good then rinse it out,,,,,,, I spray the whole inside with Pam or equivalent, then I bring it up to 275 300. Put cheap bacon orpork fat on the grates and bring your temp down to 250 or so. Let it cook the pork fat or bacon, whatever meat you have a good fat count is best... at this time you can play with the intake and stack keeping note of hwere yu have set and find the temps you are looking for. Hope this helps. Cant wait to see how the centerfeed works.....have fun

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 26th, 2014, 6:56 am

:yth:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » April 26th, 2014, 9:50 am

DO NOT SEASON WITH PINE, while you will get a residue that might be protective you will also taste that pine in everything you cook! Give the PAM a try and like they said give it a long slow cook with maybe some heavy smoke. The trick for me is that I never clean the walls so to speak. After the cook crank open the intakes and let the cooker get as hot as it wants as it burns up the last of the wood in the fire box. Now you open her up give everything a quick spray with clean water and close it up tight while it steams. The steam will knock off any chunks on the racks but will not take the "cure" off your cooker walls. Before it cools, brush the racks and drain her dry and the beast will be seasoned and ready for the next cook. Within 3 runs like this your cooker walls will be perfectly protected from rust.

2 cents worth, not a penny less

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 28th, 2014, 1:07 pm

:yth:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination