Horizontal/vertical combo?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
brodie13

Horizontal/vertical combo?

Post by brodie13 » May 2nd, 2014, 11:55 pm

I've been poking around here for a while and am trying to research the Pros and cons to something like the Yoder Durango... http://www.yodersmokers.com/durango20.html . I'm building it myself... and it's not going to be huge....14" x 38" propane cylinders x2 and they're 3/16" thick.....I think. I've got lots of 3/16 plate fir a fire box to.

Reason I'm "set" on this design is the versatility , an all in one of you will, and my lack of space. I'm hoping to use the main cc for ribs, butts, and briskets. Maybe the vertical for chicken and fish.... and definitely sausage, ham, jerkey and smoked salmon. It seems like it would work well for all of those, hot on the main and a little cooler for the vertical.

I've had a uds and a standard offset in the past. Here's my questions. Anyone had any experience with this style and what the benefits are ...or not? Would I benefit from an adjustable baffle or a choke between the 2 chambers? Or am I better off doubling the tanks and making one big vertical. I'm all for trying something new and experimenting.... But don't want to venture into it if it's going ti be an Epic waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Horizontal/vertical combo?

Post by Gizmo » May 3rd, 2014, 5:31 am

When you ask about an adjustable baffle it makes me wonder - are you planning on leaving it a conventional offset or are you going to move the vertical cabinet back to the FB end and make it a reverse flow?

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 3rd, 2014, 5:56 am

If all you have is a 14" cylinder, I'd keep it horizontal. I prefer vertical because of the small footprint but I'd think you'd want at least a 24" diameter to fit whole brisket or full racks of ribs.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

brodie13

Post by brodie13 » May 3rd, 2014, 10:40 am

So here's the tanks I'm using. The original idea I had is because I don't cook for a lot of people, mainly family, and space constraints. I've had big smokers so I'm trying the ideaof an all in one, ahd if it will work or not. At a max there would be 1 or 2 butts and maybe 4 racks of ribs, on a rib rack. The upright would be used mostly for smoked salmon, jerkey, and I want it vertical with hooks up top for hanging sausage.

As for the design, if the pictures work, I'm not sure if the opening between the 2 tanks will allow enough smoke and heat to cook with. As for the reverse flow upright on the fire box idea ,I think that the tank diameter is to small for. that. Also I want the vertical to be a little cooler.

I'm just compiling ideas from different smokers I've seen and store bought junk that is to thin poorly constructed but I want it to work.

Please excuse the poor drawings. Lol. I'm not an artist on paper at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 5th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I understand the type cooker you want to make. I believe what your wanting to do may take a bigger diameter tank. Mine is 26", and it is pretty full with 1 brisket and 3 racks of ribs in the horizontal cc.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Brisket Envy » December 6th, 2014, 9:28 am

I am currently building a 16" diameter version.

I think on my next one, I will keep the chambers separate, (though still attached) and make the bottom 25% of the vertical, it's own Firefox. Seems it would make temp control more efficient, and increase versatility.

what kind of temp differences are you getting on it, assuming it is done?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 6th, 2014, 11:32 am

I can run mine both the same or as much as 100* difference between the two.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » January 15th, 2015, 8:12 am

Brisket Envy wrote:I think on my next one, I will keep the chambers separate, (though still attached) and make the bottom 25% of the vertical, it's own Firefox. Seems it would make temp control more efficient, and increase versatility.
I am in the process of building that exact thing, Brisket Envy. Here are a few rough sketches. Building it from a compressor tank for the horizontal, and sq tube and sheet metal for the vertical. I plan to insulate it completely.

-Mike in Alabama
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2015, 8:42 am

You should start your own thread and keep posting pics so we can follow your build. Welcome to the crew, I hope we can help you along the way.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 15th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Bkndsdl.

If you start a new thread in the building section and give it a name, I will grab your post and moved it to your new build thread.

That way it's easy for other new comers to find pics of your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » January 15th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:You should start your own thread and keep posting pics so we can follow your build. Welcome to the crew, I hope we can help you along the way.
Thanks Rodcrafter, I will!
Pit_Doctor wrote:If you start a new thread in the building section and give it a name, I will grab your post and moved it to your new build thread. That way it's easy for other new comers to find pics of your build.
Thanks Pit_Doctor! I'll start it soon.

-Mike in Alabama
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid