Smoked Chicken Wings

Forum questions and assistance
FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Smoked Chicken Wings

Post by FATNECK » May 15th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Trying to see if anyone has a good recipe for smoked chicken wings. I planning on smoking @40lbs this weekend. I was going to take a large ziploc bag and toss the wings with some mayo and rub to coat them. Let them get to know each other for a while. Then I was going to smoke them at 225 for @2 hours. Once done, I will toss them on the grill to get the skin a little crispy and then throw them in some sauce. Thanks in advance.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Smoked Chicken Wings

Post by Pete Mazz » May 16th, 2014, 5:56 am

Haven't done wings but if you can get your smoker up to ~350 you'll have that crispy skin, especially if your rub has salt in it (whose doesn't).

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » May 16th, 2014, 6:29 am

Mix table salt and ground chipotle 50/50 and season the chicken into a ziplock baggie in the fridge TONIGHT then cook them tomorrow. These wings are not offensively hot - just good. But if you don't want a hot wing then use 2 parts salt, 1 part onion powder, 2 parts garlic powder and 1 part cayenne.

Just park some sauce on the table and see how many people actually end up using it….

Something wonderful happens to chicken that's been salted overnight - so season them tonight…..

Keep us posted …. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 16th, 2014, 6:42 am

Overnight would be nice but I won't be able to pick them up until tomorrow morning. A friend of mine works for big food supplier and he's giving me a case for free. I'll probably have about 5 hours of frig time for them. Would you added any oil(mayo) to them or just season them straight up? Thanks

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » May 16th, 2014, 7:03 am

I would just season them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » May 16th, 2014, 7:16 am

No liquids - just season.

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 16th, 2014, 7:22 am

Cool Beans. Straight up is the winner. Thanks again. I'll try to post some pictures this week. Since its raining like cats and dogs, good time to prep 24 racks of ribs. Time to straight pulling that silver skin on them ribs.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » May 16th, 2014, 8:17 am

Late entry here but I'm all for letting the birds sit at least 5 hours. For no other reason except that my dad and uncle always did I toss all my chicken pieces in Cider Vinegar and drain off all the excess so they are just damp. Then I take 3 parts of my Smokehouse Rub and 1 part Sea Salt and coat liberally. Toss em into a large bag give a few twists and into a cooler they go. I will flip the bag about every hour or so just because I over think stuff. Get the smoker to 275 and on go the wings with their armpits down for 2 hrs. At the 2 hour mark I open up the vents and push towards 325F for the final 30 minute cook. If the skin didn't quite get there I lay them on the grill top over my FB to crisp a bit. NOTE: Nothing is more frustrating than to pull out beautiful golden brown wings from the smoker just to have all the skin stick to the grill when you try to finish them so have the grates well seasoned and oiled. Kicking the FB out of frustration will only melt your tennis shoes and not improve the gnarly looking wings you are about to serve. :beer:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Solo, your written words alway draw interesting pictures in my mind. I've had those wings before...just haven't kicked the FB.....YET!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » May 17th, 2014, 5:27 am

Solo I'd like to try your technique but I read that 4 times and don't understand something: Do you leave the bird in cider vinegar for 5 hours? :-B

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 17th, 2014, 6:13 am

I was thinking that you dunk them in the vinegar and place your rub and salt on them. Throw them in a bag and let them get to know one another. I could be wrong.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » May 17th, 2014, 8:57 am

Gizmo wrote: Do you leave the bird in cider vinegar for 5 hours?
Nah, I just splash them down generously and make sure every part gets wet then I pour off all the vinegar and add my seasoning while the wings are still damp. I guess the bonus here is that not only do the spices stick but they beak down fairly quick and seem to soak in better during the 5 hour chillin on the bag.
If you are gonna do a pure Irv's Smokehouse run through on the wings I suggest no sandals :D

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 17th, 2014, 10:05 am

I just soak 10lbs for a hour. About to pull them out and threw some spices on them. Ill chill them for about 5 hours and lets see how they turn out.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » May 17th, 2014, 12:04 pm

FATNECK wrote:I just soak 10lbs for a hour. About to pull them out and threw some spices on them. Ill chill them for about 5 hours and lets see how they turn out.

:kewl:

stuck at work on 12's this weekend ... good Q talk always keeps me energized

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 18th, 2014, 10:48 am

SoloQue- soaking them in apple cider vinegar is awesome. I did it for @1 hour and spice them. No sauce needed. Most people ate them straight off cooker. I can only image if you soak them overnight and then spice them a few hours before you need them.
Gizmo- I try your suggestion as well and they were good too. Didn't use ground chipotle , instead I use some Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning. They were good off the grill but I sauce them up on another grill.
Thanks again for the cooking advice.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » May 18th, 2014, 10:52 am

FATNECK wrote:I can only image if you soak them overnight and then spice them a few hours before you need them.
Stick with your hour soak limit, with vinegar there can be too much of a good thing. You will totally change the texture of your food with a 12 hour soak. Maybe go crazy and try garlic vinegar next time

Glad your cook went well. :beer:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » May 18th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Now I'm hungry.

SO THANKS FOR THAT! :hissy:

Glad your cook went well - I gotta try some of these ideas - good stuff here….. :D

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » May 18th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Wings on the Smoker!!!
Attachments
Wings.jpg

Return to “Questions?”