Thermometer accuracy

Forum questions and assistance
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Thermometer accuracy

Post by Puff » May 21st, 2014, 7:34 pm

Bought a new Maverick ET733 and it arrived today. Tested the unit and started to get it set up. I immediately noticed a 6 degree difference when I plugged the probes into the jacks. They read 72 and 78.

So while I read that these units were so superior to the average thermometer, it is not instilling any great first impression. Since being a weather nut, I have some really cheap thermometers that all read within 1 degree and these were $10.

In fact, I use one in my cold smoker to read accurate temps below 90.

What do you guys have for your ET 732 or 733 units?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Thermometer accuracy

Post by Big T » May 21st, 2014, 9:48 pm

I personally don't have one Puff so I can't speak from experience but did you try swapping ports with your probes to see if the temps followed the probes ? I have read that some people have problems with the probes right out of the box.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by DUAYNE B » May 21st, 2014, 11:30 pm

I have the 732 and it works pretty good, the probes are sensitive though, had to replace my meat probe already. But I have found them to be accurate. I do always use a second thermometor for final check, thats just me though

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » May 22nd, 2014, 5:32 am

All good advice there. I have two 732 Mavericks for this hobby so swapping probes is pretty easy to do. It's more than likely there. The Maverick people have been great to work with for me anyway. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 22nd, 2014, 5:55 am

Try the probes in boiling water to tell which one is the culprit. I thought all probes were the same until I tried my 732 with older probes from a different model. No joy.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » May 22nd, 2014, 6:32 am

CAUTION: According to Maverick the 732 probe only works on the 732 and the other model probes (ET-73's) don't work (mechanically) on the 732. They changed the gray plastic "snout" around the sub-mini plug. They said they did this because it is supposed to be a better weather seal. I think they just want to sell more probes…..

Hold it in place and you might get a reading (I think they're the same electronically) - but don't leave it unattended - it will spit itself out and then you're GUESSING! …. I can do that for FREE ….

FWIW … :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » May 22nd, 2014, 8:06 am

My older probes (73s) worked but gave drastically different readings on the 732. I bought aftermarket probes made for the 732s with a 6' long wire and they were fine.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 22nd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Thanks for the input my friends. I am just a bit thrown by the 6 degrees only a few seconds out of the box. I'd have thought that they would be closer but I will bring them up against my other thermometers to see if their accuracy improves at higher temps like 212...and 32. The easiest ones to measure. If not. Edison, nj is a stones' throw ( ok, maybe a shotgun shell) away.

EDIT: tested probes in 32 degree ice water, stirring the cubes to keep it at its coldest 32.... Reads 32 on one and 33 on the other. Boiled water , not too deep but had temp read 210 and 211. Brought the probes out last night and my actual reading on the outdoor scientific thermometer was 67.8 and the probes read 65 and 68

Apparently they are more accurate at the higher end of the scale. Which I guess is good enough. Then I found on the maverick web site that there is a 3 to 4 degree deviation allowed in the quality control of their units. So I am afraid it is on target.

While that is pretty good. I think that it's like grading on a scale. If the best grade is 89, that becomes the A+

My friend has a saying. " close enough for government work".

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » May 23rd, 2014, 5:05 am

That's why I only trust my thermapen for food temp accuracy.

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 23rd, 2014, 6:34 am

:yth: :yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » May 25th, 2014, 5:34 pm

a 2% accuracy is pretty much the accepted standard for thermometers at least for any we order and use in the lab. The bad part with that statement is that if one probe is running -2% and the other is averaging +2% then side by side it is going to be frustrating. OK, I'll cut the paper on temperature R&R studies here. :-B

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 25th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Then I'd guess its close enough. Funny though, when you read about smoking meat, it's all about temperature. Words like 201 degrees are Thrown around as though any time a thermometer hits the exact temp...bingo, perfect cook! If I'm seeing 4-6 degree variables i may never see 201 or overshoot it. Too picky?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » May 25th, 2014, 7:58 pm

The last guest at my house for BBQ that said my brisket was off 2 degrees is still trying to pull down his socks to blow his nose - but I'm not bitter …. just sayin" :D

Swass
beginner
beginner

Post by Swass » June 13th, 2014, 1:04 pm

I just got a Maverick TC 733 Right out of the box one probe didn't work. I tried swapping ports and it followed so I knew it was bad. It had LL on the display.

I called up Maverick and told them what happened. They apologized and asked for my address. They sent me a new probe free of charge no hassle in 2 days.

Unfortunately the one they sent was the wrong type. I called again and again they apologized. They sent me a new probe with the extended cable 6' length at no charge for the inconvenience.

I tested them and they are very accurate.

Good company to deal with.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 13th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 14th, 2014, 6:17 am

Has anyone tried their 732 probes with the 733? It'd be nice if they were interchangeable.

EDIT: I got a quick response from the BBQ Equipment Store and they confirmed they will work.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 14th, 2014, 3:15 pm

They must work....while I specifically ordered the 6 footers for the 733, the sleeve that came with the new thermometer and it's 3 foot probes has 732 printed on the plastic bags....how do you like them apples?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 14th, 2014, 3:53 pm

I was hoping the 733 had a greater range but all it offers over the 732 is some programming bells and whistles and a different screen configuration. It would be nice to be able to program your own "food is done" temps and just pull them up tho. If I didn't already have the 732 I'd be jumping on one.
how do you like them apples?
Depends. What temp were they when you took them out? :bigfoot:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 14th, 2014, 8:58 pm

This is my first thermometer for cooking so to speak, aside from a few my wife has for pork loin or turkey. Frankly, after everything I've read about this phenomenal tool, I am a bit disappointed. It is quite similar to a few weather thermometers I have that sets hi and lo points except for the CC and a meat probe. I know it's like complaining too much but I have had more sophisticated devices for the same money and with electronics as they are today, I'll have to agree with you. Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Android and iOS these must be on the horizon. I would believe the hi temp limits are in the probe.

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » June 14th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Puff wrote:This is my first thermometer for cooking so to speak, aside from a few my wife has for pork loin or turkey. Frankly, after everything I've read about this phenomenal tool, I am a bit disappointed. It is quite similar to a few weather thermometers I have that sets hi and lo points except for the CC and a meat probe. I know it's like complaining too much but I have had more sophisticated devices for the same money and with electronics as they are today, I'll have to agree with you. Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Android and iOS these must be on the horizon. I would believe the hi temp limits are in the probe.
The iGrill and iGrill2 is an iOS and Android BBQ thermometer with 4 probe slots. Uses an app that you sync via Bluetooth. I would buy it, but it's not weatherproof. It would be totally worth the $99 if they just put $0.99 o-ring in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Swass
beginner
beginner

Post by Swass » June 15th, 2014, 12:31 am

noXcuse wrote:
Puff wrote:This is my first thermometer for cooking so to speak, aside from a few my wife has for pork loin or turkey. Frankly, after everything I've read about this phenomenal tool, I am a bit disappointed. It is quite similar to a few weather thermometers I have that sets hi and lo points except for the CC and a meat probe. I know it's like complaining too much but I have had more sophisticated devices for the same money and with electronics as they are today, I'll have to agree with you. Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Android and iOS these must be on the horizon. I would believe the hi temp limits are in the probe.
The iGrill and iGrill2 is an iOS and Android BBQ thermometer with 4 probe slots. Uses an app that you sync via Bluetooth. I would buy it, but it's not weatherproof. It would be totally worth the $99 if they just put $0.99 o-ring in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
X2

Not sure why they would not invest in such a simple yet much needed feature.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » June 15th, 2014, 6:24 am

I bought the iGrill single probe model for $39 just to monitor the pit when I'm at comps.
The app was free and comes right through my iPhone - even plots where the temp has been.
Just slip a baggie over it if the weather looks threatening….. :D

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 15th, 2014, 6:38 am

But it's supposedly only got half the range (150') of the Maverick.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » June 16th, 2014, 7:02 am

Actually it's more like "line of sight" - bluetooth….. 30 feet?

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 16th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Seems like the more advanced things are supposed to be, the worse they perform. My fios is pure garbage at times. Then once in a while, it is lightening. Rare, but lightening.

Return to “Questions?”