Chicken Advice

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
tractor guy
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Chicken Advice

Post by tractor guy » March 20th, 2014, 2:14 pm

I've been lurking here for a while, and as the weather starts to turn warmer my desire to build a RFS is beginning to grow. How does this fit into the Poultry forum you may ask. Well let me tell you.

The Women's Club at church used to host an annual chicken BBQ dinner as kind of the unofficial start to the 4th of July festivities in my little town. It was always on the Saturday before the 4th, and it was the only event on that night. Several years ago they began enlisting help from the Knights of Columbus to help with the man power cooking and serving. More recently a couple of other groups have started holding dinners on that night drawing off some of "our" crowd. The ladies weren't making any money, and they were losing interest in doing it any more so the chicken BBQ is no more.

As a member of the Knights I have discussed bring it back a KofC function. If it happens we will cook the chicken on site. The women were using some big cement block pits that were a 20 minute drive away. All of the chicken was cooked early in the day and then served in the evening. It was bland, rubbery, and cold by the time most people got theirs.

Now for the questions. How big of a cooker would I need (sq. feet of grate approx.) to cook lets say 200 chicken halves? What is the approximate cook time (I've never smoke halves)? Is anyone willing to share a recipe that will be a hit?

thanks
Joe
Certified story stretcher (I can make almost any short story long)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Re: Chicken Advice

Post by SoloQue » March 20th, 2014, 3:08 pm

A 250 with 3 pull out racks should handle a 100 halves although that's probably gonna be some tightly packed bird.
Everybody has their own chicken process but for me its right around 275F for 3.0 - 3.5 hours for quarters but I like my bird done to the bone. Halves shouldn't be all that different time wise. I'm sure other folks will toss in some suggestions.

As for a recipe, brush them well in EVOO and sprinkle heavily with your favorite seasonings, they will brown up nicely.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

coma44
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Lets Ride!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Squeal Appeal and the Piglets

Post by coma44 » June 19th, 2014, 10:50 am

As Solo said a "250" with three pull out racks will hold about 100 halves. One thing you can do is cook them in batches. Get the first set done about 2.5 to 3 hours early. Place the just cooked halves in coolers that are clean and have been warmed up with hot water then drained.

Load the next batch and once the first 100 are served you should have the second ready to serve right out of the smoker.

Here is my smoker with 16 racks of full spare ribs and 30 splits from last weeks cooks.
RIBS AND CHICKEN small.jpg
I only have two racks right now going to build another one this summer just for ribs and chicken cooks.

If it ain't BBQ it ain't food.
In need of more steel and time!

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 19th, 2014, 12:10 pm

:LG:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 21st, 2014, 8:30 am

Yep, nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

dnoneck

Post by dnoneck » February 4th, 2015, 10:55 am

is it just me or does cooking a big load of chicken take a lot longer then you would think. I'm guessing that amout of cold meat takes a longtime to start heating up

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 4th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Twss

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Return to “FOOD!”