Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Post by Puff » July 4th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Wishing a very pleasant Fourth of July to all. It has different meanings for everyone.

The weather today is... Dark... Cloudy... with frequent periods of rain. So, I decided to have a little fun and ordered Frank's gravity feed smoker plans. Certainly a bit more intricate than a typical reverse flow and firebox combination I wish I had had a bit more experience with this type of smoker. Looking through the plans I have a couple of questions already and with my first pit, Frank has solved every question with a couple of great suggestions along with everyone else here chiming in.

I will follow the plan as printed and use my Wi-Fi , web enabled , ankle bracelet (cell phone ) as the best source of solving problems. Looking forward to this build.

My first question might be with a cursory examination of the plan is... that on this design, the smokestack is just slightly below eye level, on my big tank, it's over 8 feet in the air.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Puff
Expert
Expert

Re: Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Post by Puff » July 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

There was nothing to do today. So after the fourth episode of BBQ Pitmasters, I took Frank’s drawings and tried to calculate the materials I would need to order to complete the entire smoker. And while this is no means an exact measurement, I think it comes close enough for me to go and order my stuff on Monday. This will get it completed except for the shelves and rebar…. I hope

For anyone with the plans who may benefit from this information, it is listed below. Again this is what I came up with and will allow for some small scrap.

50 feet of 2x2 16 gauge
10 feet 1 ¾x 1 3/4 14 gauge
1 4’x4’x ¼” plate
1 ½ sheets of aluminum tread plate 1/16” 4’x8’
20 feet of guide rail material for shelves
1 ¼ sheets of 18 gauge 4’x8’

Feel free to dispute these calculations…despite my sheer genius :headwall: , I did need to take Geometry twice

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » July 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

:LG: Can't wait to watch this build

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 4th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Heck.... Me too!

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 4th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Awesome Puff. Are you going to have it done before the snow fly's?

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 4th, 2014, 9:13 pm

That's a good question CR. I get free time at irregular intervals and there's always something else that needs to get done. I would surely hope to finish before November. Especially that I have a rough idea of the materials I need to have on hand. Monday I am just heading to the steel place and picking up everything on this list, it'll just be in the pile...ready and waiting.

Additionally, the thinner materials makes it so much easier to cut. So this will make a big difference in boredom cutting delays. The biggest problem I had on the oil tank was, with a free hour to work on it, I would be hunched over a sawhorse with a tiny cutter going no where fast. Then get cleaned up ( you know how that mill scale just greases you up) to get back into the real world. "Ok, I'll just not bother doing that today."

But, who knows...the cold does not really bother me. Heat just rips me apart. Easier to warm up then cool down. I'll keep all updates and photos in this thread.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 5th, 2014, 5:39 am

Get the metal pre-cut. It'll save tons of time.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 5th, 2014, 7:25 am

Hey Pete, they only pre cut in Williamstown. In Wall, you get what you see in stock! They have cut some 20 footers for me but only adding " well, you're here a lot...ok". Not inspiring for a complete order. Beside they have only a chop saw. I should call and price it out. Could be worth the trip over.

The plan lists the McMaster-Carr prt numbers so that will be easy to just get those pieces

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 5th, 2014, 7:38 am

Sometimes the exposed edges look so much better from a shear than a zip disc that the time savings isn't the only reason for ordering pre-cuts where possible…. so you burn a day going after it versus an extra week cutting parts…. tough call …. :-B

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 5th, 2014, 9:03 am

My guy delivers but I don't know how far he'll go. I can ask if you want.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 5th, 2014, 6:01 pm

sounds great Puff! I will tell ya the McMaster Carr part numbers are for reference only. There are some other parts you can use to save some money! gimmie a call monday afternoon and I'll help ya figure those out. :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 5th, 2014, 9:11 pm

It's on my calendar ! Thanks

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 7th, 2014, 5:42 pm

So it's July 7.... I went over to the steel store and bought all of the square tubing. 60 feet of 2x2" in 12' lengths and two 1 3/4" square tubes 10' each. Another 10 lbs of 3/32 7018 rod and a box of 4.5" cutting wheels. I think this one is going to be easier with regards to cutting and preparing the metal. It is all so much lighter gauge and weight than the trailer and tank.

If it weren't so hot and steamy out, I'd start tonight but I'll start after work ....maybe. Weather depending. Any one else starting one of these?
image.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 7th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Pretty soon I will be Puff. Why did you ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 7th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I am sure I will either have a few questions or come across something I am NOT very clear on...if you might be zipping along, I have another source of information. It's a bit of a security blanket ? I already seem to find a misunderstanding of the firebox connection and the part that leads to the CC.

EDIT: just had a great telephone conversation with Frank at HQ. He cleared a few points for me, made some simplifying suggestions and saved me several hundred bucks towards the end results ....Great guy to have around :beer:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » July 7th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Can't wait to see your build come together! :beer:

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 8th, 2014, 11:30 am

:beer:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 8th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Hard to keep everything right in one spot but...I will.

Thinking about this on the way home today, do the internal skins need to be seal welded to the framework? I'm kind of assuming they do.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » July 9th, 2014, 7:41 pm

I recommend the entire inside be welded to prevent leaks :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 11th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Sent the cut list for the chute assembly to the supply house today. My quote from the 1/2" thick bottom .....to the door up top including the three flanges and all of the 1/4" plates is about $300.00. There is no way I can reasonably cut the 1/2" stuff and it will be a bit easier to have those flanges nicely cut, clean and SQUARE. Does this seem over the top or...should I just order it Monday?

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 14th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Ordered it anyway.... Will be ready for Friday pickup . I guess it will be nice just aligning it up and welding it together. Should have the chute done Saturday

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » July 14th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Sorry for the late reply bro! Sounds good for labor and all especially for that thick of material!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 14th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Thanks Frank, I would just hate to hear...." What !, I can get the same thing for $200.00 ". Bringing home the sheet metal and decided to go with the aluminum tread plate for the door when I pick up the pre-cut stuff , just to give it some contrast.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 18th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Made progress today. Picked up a 4 x 10 18gauge sheet some more angle iron, flat iron and box tubing... I can only say that I find this style of smoker really nice to build. Cutting the 4 x 10 sheet took less than an hour to get all the pieces I needed for the inside of the cabinet. Cutting it with the grinder moves at about 1 in. per second for the first pass, scoring a line. A second pass through that line cuts the material.

On the quarter inch plate I had used for the firebox on my trailered smoker, it took me almost all of November to get the pieces I needed. My steel for the charcoal chute is ready to be picked up so things will be moving along so much quicker.

Had a few questions for Frank and received really good answers. When he writes messages, you just cannot get him to stop ;) ,his lengthy answer was... "Get the Miller" and " no, strap is always better" . To be fair, I just asked him to pick A or B and my Miller 211 will be here on Tuesday.

I figured it will be much easier to weld the thinner materials with a decent MIG.
GF Supplies.jpg
Cut 18ga.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 18th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Go for it Puff, I'll be watching very close. You will be my guide to building mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Clones”