55 gal rf

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
fartbox333
beginner
beginner

55 gal rf

Post by fartbox333 » July 9th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Hi all. I have a 55 gal drum that I want to make into a rf smoker. I know the thin metal doesn't make an ideal cc but it's what I have. Ran my #s through the calc. Anyone done a horizontal one before? Any info appreciated.

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 55 gal rf

Post by SmokinFF » July 9th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Have you given the thought of a UDS? Much quicker and easier to build. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 9th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Dang SFF, that's what I was going to ask.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » July 9th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Us young guys are just a little quicker. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

fartbox333
beginner
beginner

Post by fartbox333 » July 9th, 2014, 7:52 pm

I'd rather do the side fb rf setup. I have some stock and have built a stand and burned up a food grade barrel. This will be my learning build. Next one will be a trailer mount. I have a little 2 level barrel type now and hate shuffling the racks and feeding the fire. I know it's not ideal but I'm looking to learn and have some good back yard bbq. Anyone try this?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 9th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I have not but I know many who have. Biggest source of frustration will be the doors. Other than that you should be fine :beer:

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » July 10th, 2014, 11:02 am

My old man used to grill some killer pork steaks on his barrel pit. The only problem I see may be the thin metal on the end of the barrel holding the FB. Supported the right way, it may just work. As Frank stated, sealing the door may be an issue as well. :beer:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 10th, 2014, 6:06 pm

First find another barrel. It will be a lot easier with 2.

Cut enough of the ends off of one barrel so you can weld them back together to make the FB
Take the leftover center section over to the other CC barrel and cut door openings in it that are slightly smaller than the center section. Make your doors out of the center section so they have a nice overlapping flange around the edge for some fire rope.

If you want larger doors then grab a 3rd barrel to cut the doors from. Or you could cut and weld on flanges only from the leftover center section to the door plug you cut out of the CC barrel - the curve is already there for you. Lots of combinations are possible.

Either way that should be a pretty serviceable unit. Just be sure to provide good support to both the FB and CC so the connection between them doesn't have to carry a load.

Remember that cookers made from barrels are not a multi-generation device like many shown on this forum. The metal is too thin - but the price is right and there's no reason you can't make world-class "Q" in one once you get to know it.

Or I could be completely wrong ….. I was one other time …. very depressing …. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert

Post by DUAYNE B » July 10th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Good thinken there Rick, almost like you have done this a few times :beer:

fartbox333
beginner
beginner

Post by fartbox333 » July 11th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I do have two barrels. Is a 55 gal drum too thin for a fb? It would definatly be a lot easier. If I use one for the fb and other parts what should I use for my rf plate?

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 11th, 2014, 6:51 pm

I hate to tell you this, but yes the 55 gal drum is too thin for a FB. You will see most of us make ours out of 1/4 plate. I would suggest making a UDS out of the barrels and if $$$ is concerning and you want a RF, get something like a Brinkman and get the mod upgrades for it. Here is a great site to check out. http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 11th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I agree with CRS on it being too thin but check this one out, I think it's what you're looking for.viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2535

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

fartbox333
beginner
beginner

Post by fartbox333 » July 12th, 2014, 9:21 am

That's pretty much the idea I was going for t. What's the worst thin that could happen with a thin fb and cc? Not hold heat in cold weather? What about making a fb and rf plate out of 3/16 or something in the middle of 1/4 in and drum thickness?its my first build and I want the experience and ability to cook more meat than my brinkman bullet. My next build will be bigger and thicker when I get more time and money.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 12th, 2014, 12:05 pm

1) I think temp changes will be the biggest problem, every thin cooker that I've ever used has been tough to control temp even on a windy day. 2) I'm not sure how long your fb will last due to the thickness of the metal. 3) You will not be the 1st person to build one from a drum and you will not be the last guy to build one either. If you decide to build one let us know how it works out. :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

fartbox333
beginner
beginner

Post by fartbox333 » July 13th, 2014, 8:53 am

I agree t. Looks like I'm gonna go through with it anyway but with a few compromises. I'm thinking on using a 3/16 plate for my rf plate and extend it into the fb as the top of the fb. Might help even out the heat better and should hold on to it better too. I'll update as I go and will take any help I can get on the way. Thanks all.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”