Gravity feed- My build so far...

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Nagaburns
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Serious Lee BBQ

KCBS : CBJ

Re: Gravity feed- My build so far...

Post by Nagaburns » August 8th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Nice hinges and latch, I was going to add all the bling at a later date but it's one of those things that never happened and won't now until something breaks.

I like the idea of flush fitting doors, I think it'll look really good but the rain could cause you problems if you're going to cook in all weathers. You could just leave the chute flange as it is and just make the door bigger to fit over the box section but add some plate to the cooker frame the width of the box to just raise the height of the chute entry above the top of the cooker.

The length of the chute on mine holds more fuel than I burn in a cook and this has lead me to think about the design of that side of the cooker because a lot of it is unnecessary weight. I'm not that keen on the stripped down look of the 'Superior' but it has the advantage of less weight due to less materials being used. There is a happy medium for me between the bare bones and the extra chunky incorporating a chute door that would minimise the chance of rain water ingress. If I had any skills for cad I would post some ideas up but alas I'm not even on the first rung of the autocad ladder :(

All the best

Lee

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » August 8th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Hey Lee,
I know for a fact that if I don't do all of the things I would try later, they would never happen also. As for the hinges and latch...they were the cheapest part of the build so far. I'm thinking that the door frame will just extend above the top with the same frame tubing. That elevation should be more than adequate. I would be using in winter more than rain but it's' still the same issue and soggy coals or muddy ash is still muck.

That coal chute above the FB must weigh 45 lbs by itself and my transfer tube has to be another 25. The 8" wheels came today and I hope that I can move things indoors instead by just rolling it. I'll keep in touch and show you the finished product

Thank you again for the reply.....

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » August 8th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Hi Lee,

Just noticed a short nipple on the top left front of your smoker, what is the purpose of it? Then, I'm wondering how to attach the ball valve. I see you have it threaded on but how is the other end of the pipe attached to the interior door skin?

Thanks....

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life