Insulation -vs- Rain

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Insulation -vs- Rain

Post by noXcuse » September 15th, 2014, 5:07 pm

This will be a little long-winded, so please bare with me.

I am pretty much finished with the design of my new trailer RFS. My only debate is whether or not to insulate just the firebox/warming cabinet, the cook chamber, both, or nothing.

I don't live in a cold climate (typically 15° coldest part of winter and 105°, 90%+ humidity hottest part of summer), but it does rain here quite a bit, hence the humidity. Sometimes it can be pretty violent rain, just like this past weekend when I was cooking in a backyard style cookoff that I put on annually. I watch the radar pretty close then stuff the firebox right before the rain.

I'm contemplating insulating my new build, and leaning towards doing it. I am using a 250 gallon propane tank for the CC, so it's pretty thick. My plans are to use 1/4" steel for the FB and WC. What are y'alls experiences with 1/4" steel cooling way down during a hard rain?

With my current setup, a 150 gallon cylinder type oil tank center feed, I can lose over 100° quick. I have the idea in my head that insulating at least the FB and WC with mineral wool and a 16ga skin, I should be golden. Should the CC also be insulated? That would be the largest area that would lose heat in a storm. How hard would it be to insulate and skin the tank? I don't have access to a steel roller, so how would I be able to frame around the tank? Just run some 1" strap horizontally?

You're probably thinking, why doesn't he just buy an EZ-UP canopy. Well, when we get our typical summer and fall storms, the winds can get 70+ mph. I've lost quite a few canopies. 2 people lost theirs in my cookoff this past weekend. Flying canopies can be dangerous and do a lot of damage to cars and campers.

onesquin
Expert
Expert

Re: Insulation -vs- Rain

Post by onesquin » September 15th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I had a 500 gal smoker and the cold nor rain really affected it. I am guessing the metal thickness between the 250 lp and oil tank is no comparison.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 15th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I was thinking you should just cover your trailer. And make fold out sides. You could let the side(s) down depending on which way the wind was blowing the rain. I use heavy steel on my smokers, but in a heavy rain depending on how long it goes it messes everything up

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » September 15th, 2014, 6:47 pm

onesquin, you're absolutely right. The metal thicknesses between the oil tank and the LP tank are way different. I'm guessing the oil tank is around 1/16" - 3/32" tops.

Rodcrafter, I gave serious thought to making a permanent roof for it. I know it sounds really picky, but I can't design a roof that looks halfway decent. I'm trying to make it as clean looking as possible. I want it to look as good as it cooks. I even gave thought to making a foldable frame with a canvas top, just like a boat bimini top.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 15th, 2014, 7:04 pm

I live in a very cold climate (MN) and have never insulated any of my CC or FB's and never ever have had a problem. Last winter we cooked at a comp where the air temp was -22 and the wind chill was -40. YES I said -40. We had no problems with temp what so ever. Don't over think it. In my honest opinion there is no need to insulate to retain temps.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

noXcuse
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by noXcuse » September 16th, 2014, 8:54 am

I'm not worried about ambient temps. I'm worried about torrential rain. Which happens a lot here. I can easily lose 100° during a rain, and white smoke will start pouring out of the stacks. That what I'm trying to prevent.

mag1
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by mag1 » September 16th, 2014, 12:38 pm

This was helpful along the lines of insulation on the FB. I was going to do that on mine, I live in E. Central Wis. and was worried about not having it. After reading what you just posted CRS, (we have similar temps) (just south of GreenBay), that makes me feel better about skiping the insulation on mine.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”