Learning to weld

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
smokeyjoe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Learning to weld

Post by smokeyjoe » October 4th, 2014, 8:55 am

Hey guys, I acquired a Lincoln Pro Mig 175 and want to learn to weld. First of all, what are the capabilities of this machine? How hard is it to learn to weld with one of these? I've read some good things about them online. I realize I'm probably not going to be able to weld 1/4" plate with it but would like to so some small smoker builds.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Learning to weld

Post by Puff » October 4th, 2014, 9:34 am

I'm am no welder myself and there are folks here INFINITELY more qualified to answer your question but.....

I have come up through the ranks from a 30 year old stick Miller welder that was brand new rarely used in my own garage last August 2013. Since then it has gone through over 70 lbs of rod and been the recipient of a related brother Miller auto set 211. This is my 3rd 8 lb spool of wire and going on my 3rd tank of gas. In the 14 month since Aug, I have built 2 big smokers, one with a 3500lb trailer.

You will easily weld 1/4" with that machine. The beauty of of mig is that the gas keeps the weld practically slag free. That's the black crispy junk that build around the stick weld when you are not the best at it..haha.

There are several videos out there that will provide the visual guidance and I would watch a few of them. For a GREAT. Intro, check out Frank's daily video tips on the smokerbuilder site. You will really enjoy the presentation and then. Start to practice. Follow the rules for safety and clean operation. You will come to know the obvious mistakes....some just from the sound if the machine. Good luck and come back often. This is the home of true pros and serious smokers. Your other post show that you have some experience so use that to build on and common sense. You'll win the game

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

smokeyjoe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by smokeyjoe » October 4th, 2014, 10:23 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm not looking to build a big smoker or anything right now. If I did want one build I have plenty GOOD welders that I'd get to do it. We'll see what happens. I just hate to have the machine and not know how to use it at least for simple jobs.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 4th, 2014, 10:30 am

Well just go and do it. Once you get started it will keep getting better. If you have ever seen " the agony and the ecstasy " with Charlton Heston about the painting of the Sistine Chapel....it's kinda similar. You just can't wait to finish it but then when it's done, you wish you could still keep working on it!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

smokeyjoe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by smokeyjoe » October 4th, 2014, 11:32 am

I kinda look at it like I did when I was learning to BBQ........start a fire throw some meat on and see what happens LOL. I'm gonna do it. If everybody else can learn I can too. Thanks for the input guys.

mortimersnerd
beginner
beginner

Post by mortimersnerd » October 4th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com for some good instructional videos. That's a great machine that is mostly maxed out with 1/4", but will weld it fine for what you're doing. Mig is easy to learn. Get s bunch of scrap and practice.

smokeyjoe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by smokeyjoe » October 6th, 2014, 9:26 am

Yeah, I'm wouldn't weld anything that thick anyway unless I had a lot of experience. I'm wanting to do some lighter stuff. My ultimate goal is to build something like a Backwoods clone so I don't that would require anything that my machine isn't capable of.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 6th, 2014, 11:06 am

Frankly, you will be surprised what you can do when you start doing it. The reason I say this ...My very first serious welding was my 275 gallon trailer mounted smoker. I asked along the way a bunch of questions but the quality of the work was really whatever I could do.

The day it was on its way to a BIG cookout party nearly 10 months later ( YEP...it took that long for me) As it was dragged out of my house and 25 miles away. I wondered WHEN the call might come that the entire thing had pulled apart somewhere on the highway. Well..it made it back and has been out on the road several times since. It runs GREAT as a smoker...darn near PERFECT...It runs great as a trailer ...tracks very well. AND ...NOTHING pulled apart or broke

THAT alone impressed the heck out of me. Grab the torch and just start trying it. What you see happening in front of you will teach LOADs more on top of what you read.

GOOD LUCK with the backwoods. To my un-educated eyes, that seems to be a bit more complex than the one I just finished. My second one is a gravity feed and nearly done ready to light up. The firebox on it is 1/2" thick and my machine is running max at 3/8 short duty. Came out fine

mortimersnerd
beginner
beginner

Post by mortimersnerd » October 6th, 2014, 9:54 pm

smokeyjoe wrote:Yeah, I'm wouldn't weld anything that thick anyway unless I had a lot of experience. I'm wanting to do some lighter stuff. My ultimate goal is to build something like a Backwoods clone so I don't that would require anything that my machine isn't capable of.
You'll be surprised. It took me less than a year to outgrow my first welder. Once you learn you'll likely find 1000 unanticipated uses.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 6th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Mortimersnerd ...you are so right. In between smokers I made a trash can carrier for my pickup. The can is 96 gallons and I can't just hoist it up onto the tailgate anymore. I was looking for stuff to make Sparks on...simply tilt it back and glide it in place then a quick bungee to keep the pail in place on the way to the main road
image.jpg

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 7th, 2014, 5:22 am

weldingtipsandtricks.com is a neat site. This rookie welder learned a few new things. Thanks!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”