So it begins

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

So it begins

Post by RodgeA » September 30th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I started building my smoker today went to the steel yard got 1/4 steel for my firebox its going to be 12x12x15 first thing I did was cut the propane tank just enough to cover my fb to cc opening which is 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 square plus an half inch to stop any grease making its way into the fb I can't decide where the best place to put my fb door and intake would be on the front like my cc door or on the side if I put the door on the front I could have the air intake on the side inline with the cc opening if that matters at all but I like the looks of the door on the side I made a picture to help explain also im going to put my fire grate four inches above the bottom of my fb floor for air flow found an old smoker that someone got rid of with a good hourglass style damper 10 inches long 6 1/2 inches wide should be lots of air flow im going to center it as close to my grate as possible for air flow above and below my fire tell me what you guys think.
Attachments
smoker.png
smoker.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 460 times
IMAG0020.JPG
IMAG0021.JPG
IMAG0022.JPG

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: So it begins

Post by Big T » September 30th, 2014, 10:03 pm

I put my door on the end of the fb and make my intake into the door. I have also built them like your drawing and not had any problems but I prefer the door and intake on the end

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2014, 10:52 pm

The intakes on my 275 are on the sides of the fire box. They were probably best there because their dimensions would not have fit them well on the door. It is particularly helpful to have the air flow from the intakes approach the fire grate from slightly below the grate.

While my intakes are 3x10 on each side, when actually at temp and cooking, they are only open about 1" on each side with 3 - 18" long splits on the fire grate and a small fire. That gets me a smoking temp of about 235-250 and very thin , nearly clear but not totally clear smoke. My wood is very dry, cut two yrs ago and covered outdoors. When adding a new piece to the FB, I do nothing with the intakes... It catches fire right away and smokes only a little bit initially and stabilizes in 4-6 minutes

More than you wanted to know?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 1st, 2014, 6:49 pm

I got my intake vent cut out today with an angle grinder was not easy lol now just need to cut out the fb door and I can weld the fb together since im using 1/4 inch steel do I still need to put braces on the fb door if so what would be a good way to do it also what would be the best way to seal up the gap in the fb door after I cut it?
Attachments
IMAG0024.JPG

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 1st, 2014, 7:37 pm

RodgeA,

What disc are you using on the angle grinder? It really is a pain, my door has a bit of an advantage in two places. I am using an "X" brace on the door itself and a solid front on the fire basket inside to help shield the door from direct flame exposure

The x is made of 2" flat bar 1/4" thick
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 1st, 2014, 7:45 pm

i'm using the thin cut off disc they cut much easier than a sawzall but hard to cut out shapes like the air intake.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 1st, 2014, 7:47 pm

Hate to say that I've had a ton of practice... Got it down to clean 6" circles ! Hate having to say that...

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 1st, 2014, 9:18 pm

on your fire box door I see you stood your braces up would it make any difference if I layed my flat bar braces flat? if I don't it will be hitting my fire grate.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 1st, 2014, 9:25 pm

The rigidity of the steel in this position is significantly better this way

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 2nd, 2014, 7:05 am

Your right Puff it is much stronger the way you did yours, but he doesn't have near the space you did in yours. You are going to make a square door right? If so using angle iron around the door plate will stiffen it and give you a place to install fire rope to seal her up if you want not that you need to but I did on my last one and I really like it.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 2nd, 2014, 3:53 pm

I considered that when I wrote this , but obviously not well enough. You're right, my fire box is almost 30" deep. I think your idea is the way to go, then it will have a nice place to secure a gasket if wanted.

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 2nd, 2014, 8:42 pm

I got my firebox door cut out today going to cut our the door braces and door tabs tomorrow but I need some help I want to put the door tabs on the outside of the firebox door to keep the heat in and cover up the ugly looking but marks but can't figure out how to do it and still be able to open the door here is a pic of my door and another picture to show what im talking about.
Attachments
door.JPG
door 2.jpg

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 2nd, 2014, 9:15 pm

image.jpg
I used 2" x 1/4" flat stock. Mitered the corners and ground the welds. The flat is welded on the inner edge to maximize cosmetics. I did have to make a little larger cut to the inside edge to make some room for the welds. A flap disc will make a much easier job of making some extra space and....you only need to do that to two of the perpendicular sides!

I don't know if you're seeing this photo sideways but when I click on it, it displays properly! Also, when it was finished, it's all painted black. That shiny look was only because I had sanded it for the picture at the time. Turns out, it may have helped

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 6th, 2014, 7:57 pm

well I have my firebox almost done just one more side to weld on.
Attachments
IMAG0026.JPG
IMAG0027.JPG

Big T

Post by Big T » October 6th, 2014, 9:14 pm

:LG:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 7th, 2014, 6:00 am

Nice

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 18th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Alright guys I have the stand built and tank mounted and the firebox welded to the tank just need to cut the cc door now question I know how long I want to make the door but how high should I make it someone said it should be a quarter of the circumference of the tank I have a 14 inch diameter tank so 43 inch circumference so 4 divided by 43 comes out to a 10 3⁄4in high door someone with more experience want to help me out? I know I could use it lol I will have more pics coming soon.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 18th, 2014, 7:46 pm

I like to cut mine 1" above top dead center and 1" below center of horizontal. I do the one past center at the top so the rain won't be able to get in. The one on the horizontal center I go 1" below so that when I installed the bottom rack that one will be on the center on the surface of the rack. This also gives me room for a top rack in most cases

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 18th, 2014, 8:35 pm

That's seems like a very good plan. I'm writing that one down too!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 18th, 2014, 9:27 pm

lol

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 19th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Well guys here's the pics I promised I still need to weld up the last side of the firebox and weld the tank in then its on to cutting the door only thing I think I might have a problem with is the gap around the firebox door you can see it in one of the pics but it might not be too bad I hope lol.
Attachments
IMAG0028.JPG
IMAG0029.JPG
IMAG0031.JPG
IMAG0032.JPG
IMAG0033.JPG

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » October 19th, 2014, 6:19 pm

:LG: :LG:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Big T

Post by Big T » October 19th, 2014, 9:37 pm

looking good! :kewl:

RodgeA
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by RodgeA » October 24th, 2014, 11:47 am

Alright I have my firebox done and tank mounted and door cut out now I need to burn the tank out what would be the best way to do it build a fire in the firebox or build one in the tank itself?

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » October 24th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I'd do both.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”