Made an electric smoker

Discussion about Electric Smokers
mechead11
beginner
beginner

Made an electric smoker

Post by mechead11 » October 23rd, 2014, 6:03 pm

SO the current neighborhood is anti-charcoal. I built a barrel smoker last summer. Couldn't bring it. BUMMER. soon enough though. This being said... I went ahead and came up with an idea for an electric smoker. Then I (with a little help from my co-worker) went ahead and threw some metal up on the CNC plasma table, cut out some pieces, and welded them together. I ended up with this super heavy, super insulated, mini fridge looking cabinet.
Now... I have only used it once. It was messy. It was steamy. it was.... delicious. DID however lack that really good smoky flavor and bark and color and smell. BUT it did produce two delicious slabs of ribs in a timely manner... kind of. They may have been a little overdone.... and I will be doing a little more trimming of the fats next time. There really was just to much.

The monstrosity is powered by one whole charcoal starter. It takes roughly an hour to get to about 230 degrees. Which is cool with me. I cant see my element lasting very long though. I dont think that thoses starters are designed to run for periods of time like that. There is a chip tray that sits directly on the element. gets nice and hot, burns chips, and makes smoke. The temp is controlled by a PID temperature controller that I bought off ebay. It was the cheapest I could find... then I had to desolder the relay off the circuit board and add my own solid state relay. piece of cake. so, all that being said... it works good for now. I am already thinking of putting a side fire box on it. or making it a fixture in my next place of residence and building a firebox under it. Who knows?!

okay... the pictures. you can really see how messy this thing is. I need to fashion a drip tray. or cook in pans. :( I hate doing dishes. The vegan girlfriend was not happy about the pork fat on the garage floor. Very happy to be the 5th whole topic started on the electric boards!

ImageImageImage

mechead11
beginner
beginner

Re: Made an electric smoker

Post by mechead11 » October 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm

'scuse the messy garage and girly spoonrest and basting brush!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 23rd, 2014, 8:44 pm

Well I think you did a very creative job. You found a way to get what you wanted and it worked! If that is what it does to the floor, tough.

Pssssst.... Don't show this to your girlfriend. :beer: Or my wife!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 23rd, 2014, 9:12 pm

Looks like you might need the set it in a pan.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mechead11
beginner
beginner

Post by mechead11 » October 23rd, 2014, 9:39 pm

I've got a design for a drip tray that will drip into cans... I think it will be most effective. it'll suspend from the bottom of the cooking racks. I think I will be needing something for sure once I feel like slicing and marinating some beef for some jerky! I cant wait. Winter is coming soon though... I'm curious what this thing will be like in cooler temps. :bigfoot:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 24th, 2014, 6:15 am

:beer: :beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........