Starting # 3 80 gallon RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Starting # 3 80 gallon RF

Post by Puff » November 9th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Finally a smaller smoker.had a lull in activity so while I'm waiting, I'm starting on this gross looking, greasy, dirty 80 gallon tank. Cut the legs and power deck off and ground down those cuts
image.jpg
image.jpg
In the shadow of #2

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Starting # 3 80 gallon RF

Post by Rodcrafter » November 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm

You go Puff

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 9th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Hey RC.

I looked at the GF, look at the trailer and the cold smoker whiskey barrel and said, " Gee, I need to weld something"

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 9th, 2014, 11:23 pm

That should make a fine one Puff. I've been looking for a tank about that size for a while now.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » November 10th, 2014, 12:05 am

the one on my trailer is an 80 gallon, just the right size for what i use, and your hooked now Puff!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 10th, 2014, 5:34 am

Gee, I need to weld something
Hey, I've got some stuff you can weld if you get too bored. :beer:

You're on #3 and I haven't finished 1 yet.....

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 10th, 2014, 11:13 am

Puff wrote:Hey RC.

I looked at the GF, look at the trailer and the cold smoker whiskey barrel and said, " Gee, I need to weld something"
I'm with Pete on this one Puff. I've got some stuff for you to weld on if it gets too cold up there for you. This trailer rig is been a lot of fun though.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 10th, 2014, 11:51 am

See, I went and picked up that Miller 212 and I just cant let it sit . The Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC I had was in my garage over 20 years since it was turned on and that did my entire 1st smoker. This is SO much better and easier AND the finished welds are nice looking and clean.

62 degrees today and 66 tomorrow and then ALL downhill from there so I am really trying to accomodate all outdoor needs after work. With the clocks changeed 1 hour, it screws up my light. Seems like i cant take the cold as easily as when I lived in Vermont and cant take the heat like when I lived in Miami. It better not be AGE !

PS: For you guys, I would GLADLY do it ! Your help has been a reason I have enjoyed the beginner success I have and there are a group of you guys out there.... \:D/

cancerboyuofa
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by cancerboyuofa » November 10th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Is this where I mention it will likely be 75 here all week?

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Make sure you put some square doors on that round can Puff.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 17th, 2014, 8:01 pm

In the sequence of assembly, is it better to weld the firebox on first or the legs onto the tank first?

Big T

Post by Big T » November 17th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I like to weld the FB on first so the legs aren't in the way.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 17th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Yep what Big T said.

Making memories.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 17th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Ok, I'll do it that way. This one is getting 4" casters from my steel supply house. They have them in steel and rubber. My son gets this one and my son in law might wind up with the gravity feed. Still a few variables on that decision. My daughter needs to tell me she is very happy first. If not, he could wind up inside it!

My building process is starting to get more refined. I have a few things left over from the other cookers like 1/4" plate, 2" sq tube, angle iron, flat bar. It is nice to just reach in and get something that's there against the wall. I have a 4x8' sheet of 1/2" expanded flat ....do you think the holes in it are too small? I could use it for the wood storage box or under the smoker shelves but I was hoping it's not too small for the cooking grates

I've seen some baffle plates that look like the have a v groove directing the dripping directly to the bottomed drain. Is there a thought on this type of drain path. My other tank has a level baffle plate and a dam at the end. Being trailer mounted, I just lower the nose... Most of the meat drops just vaporize at the baffle plate however when I washed the cooker out with a cold water hose last two weeks ago, the sludge was pretty gloppy looking for the first 5 gallon splash but ran clear by the 10 gallon mark

Big T

Post by Big T » November 17th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Puff I used 1/2'' expanded metal on my last one because it was free and I haven't had any regrets. I think it was Duane that built a small patio RF and he used the jack and chain method to put a slight concave in his BP on the end near the drain. I think that would be a lot less work than the groove down the middle and should work fine. On my trailer rig I try to throw a few extra splits on when I'm done cooking and jack the temp up real high and then I take the hose and spray a fine mist of water in the CC and let it steam out. I do that a couple of times and then open the drain and empty it out. There's usually not much left in there after that.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 18th, 2014, 6:18 am

I use a 4" puffy knife to scrape the biggest stuff off. Then do the same with water. But my BP is in pieces so my drain is only on the bottom of the tank. I have a dam at the FB so no grease can get in, and I can thoroughly clean my whole CC. I don't ever clean it so much that I would have to re-season it though.

Making memories.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 18th, 2014, 7:04 pm

You guys bring up a good point...but, do you need to re season the CC after the water spray. The steam when I did it was impressive. And prior I did scrape it down with a 8" putty knife also. I could see and smell the difference and as I mentioned. It was gloppy and like a blackened slurry initially but cleared out.

I did not re season the tank but did recently do the turkey for about 3 1/2 hours. Doing ribs likely Wednesday if weather cooperates. Like ....not being too cold or windy

Big T

Post by Big T » November 18th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I haven't had to re season my pit, like RC said I don't flood the CC, just give it a good misting of water once or twice and that usually does the trick.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 18th, 2014, 7:46 pm

I may need to re season...I flooded the tank and watched the clearer water pour out of the 2" drain.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 21st, 2014, 10:01 pm

These legs are cut ready to go on after the FB is put on but I'm questioning the height of these legs. I had a 12' 2x2 tube left from the gf so I cut it into 4. 36" pieces, I know it's preference but it seems like they might be too tall. Has anyone got a opinion on the height ? The tank is 24" in diameter. This will have wheels added spit will rise about 2-3" more.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Big T

Post by Big T » November 21st, 2014, 10:54 pm

I would agree that it will be a little too tall. I would have my bottom rack in the 36''-40'' range with the wheels mounted but like you said it's personal preference.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 22nd, 2014, 6:48 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 22nd, 2014, 7:48 am

Yeah....thought maybe it was too high... It just looks it but when other sets of eyes agree, you can't get better then that

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 17th, 2014, 9:21 pm

As Christmas gets closer I am trying like crazy to finish this smoker but you guys have me cutting more and more stuff. Today I had to cut my tank throat opening twice... The firebox cutout was too low under the tank to be completely enclosed. Had it upside down and trying to square the firebox. Now that it's attached it was monsterous trying to flip it over and set up in the wheels. Happy to have had a 10' 1" square tube on hand....great leverage

I'm using 5" casters on the swivels and 10" on the firebox end. I have a few tweeks to do. Mounted the door and hinges on the FB and had to cut it off. The plate or in the recess had no wiggle room to open more tha 1". Gotta go read MACK again to see where I went wrong.

Cutting the baffle into halves and the building the stack and or stack elbow. Sand blasted the inside and about 2/3 of the outside. That has always and will always be a crappy dirty job! Yuck!
Gotta get it painted by Wednesday. I may need to stay up late ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 17th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Big T...took your advice and welded that line on the FB face where the 1/4" plate meets the angle... Ground down those welds and it looks like the firebox plate edge is near 1/2" thick.... A lot of extra time but I'm happy the way it came out...after a little more polishing, it will be nice and clean, thanks
image.jpg