New guy, 1st smoker build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
THEFERMANATOR
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

New guy, 1st smoker build

Post by THEFERMANATOR » November 22nd, 2014, 1:32 am

Joined here last week and started doing some reading for a smoker build I'm working on. Growing up my dad had an old 120 gallon barrel smoker that was pretty basic, just split in half with cooking grates put in the middle, and you built your fire in the bottom on the right side. No frills, no chills, just basic, but man did we cook alot of food on it through the years. Needless to say it rotted out from the fire being right against it. Last week I embarked on my own smoker build involving a 120 gallon tank just like his was. Spent a full day on it and had it built up fairly nice, then I started doing some reading, and decided to ditch it. It was an old 120 gallon galvanized water tank, just like my dads old smoker was, but I decided the chances of getting somebody sick from zinc poisoning just wasn't worth it, and ditched it.

My build didn't stop there though, found me an old 80 gallon air compressor tank from a 2 stage compressor, so it is made of .210 thick steel and is one heavy SOB. Got it cleaned out as best I could, and embarked on building it up. I'm going for a reverse flow build with a slight twist, I'm building it with the firebox underneath the smoker, directing the smoke out through a chamber of the right side of the firebox, upwards where it makes another 90 to the reverse flow baffle and into the smoker. I've seen a few builds like this, and they all said they used a bit less wood since you weren't losing your heat out the top of the firebox to the air, but instead it rises up into the smoker. That and I wanted to keep it compact because it will go on skids, and be sat on out back porch.

So onto my actual build. The tank is .210 thick steel so being thicker than 3/16" should hold it's heat in well. I'm building my firebox and all associated parts feeding into the smoker out of 1/4" steel, used an old piece of 16 gauge for my reverse flow baffle, have some 12 gauge I'm goign to build my water pan/drip pan out of and run a 1/2" pipe out the bottom for draining, a 4" chimney stack made of thick wall steel pipe, and a sheet of stainless mesh for the cooking surface.

This is my first build, so I'm sure it will have room for improvement, but the calculator says I'm pretty close with all my measurements. I know theres a calculator here, but this one includes firebox to chamber volume in it, as well as being linkable with all of my measurements at the link. Link to BBQ Pit Calculator My firebox will be 18 tall, 18 wide, and 20 deep. My firebox will have 2 3.5" vents for the intake, and a 18.5X3 exhaust for 55 cu in. My cooker opening is 58 cu in with a reccomended opening of 51.79, so al ittle oversized there, but I'm not to concerned considering the smoke will do a 180 coming out of the firebox into the cooker. I will probably go a little tall with the chimney simply because I have the longer piece of pipe, and will be recessing it down about midway to the cooking grate.

Some pics of my build. My tank after cutting off the accesories and welding up the bungs in it.

And where I'm at now. The firebox with 3 sides on it welded on.

A shot of the reverse flow chamber, and where the smoke will do the 180.

And the opening

Heres the grating material I have. It is stainless from an old juice bottling plant, so it should work out nicely for a cooking grate. If not, it is easy enough to swap it out later on for regular diamond opening steel.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New guy, 1st smoker build

Post by Rodcrafter » November 22nd, 2014, 9:28 am

First I'd like to welcome you and hope you have a great time building your cooker. I'm just a bit confused about what you have the FB doing to get the heat/smoke in the CC. The BP being only 16ga may have some problems, 1. there is a lot of radiant heat that comes from that plate which after the whole thing is up to temp evens out the temps across the whole CC. Being thin as 16ga there will be an very hot spot in the first 1' from the FB opening and no evening out across the CC.

jm2cw

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » November 22nd, 2014, 10:43 am

I haven't made the cutout yet, but there will be a 18.5" X 3" opening cut in the end of the smoke box here to let the smoke into an end chamber where it does a u-turn back into the smoker.

As to the 16 gauge plate, there will be a 12 gauge drip/water pan that goes in over it. I just used the 16 gauge to get my channel set. I didn't want the direct heat hitting the water pan, so I stayed thinner with it to help let more heat up onto the water/drip pan while channeling the smoke away from the water/drip pan. I'm sure there are things I should have done differently, but I'm mostly building this out of scrap I had on hand or freebie stuff I got. All I had to buy was angle iron, and a used sheet of 1/4" plate. The rest was either free or on hand in my shop. So far I'm into it for less than $350, and will have most of the materials left to build another one minus a tank(and I found a 120 gallon propane tank locally I'm eyeing as well as a perfect sized small trailer).

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 22nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

You have a very different sort of build going there. Keep us in the loop as you progress I look forward to seeing it.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » November 23rd, 2014, 12:02 am

You can see here in this pic how I'm routing the smoke. The eliptical opening is to the smoke chamber, and the rectangular opening is to the smoke box. I'm building a chamber around it to make the smoke do a 180. This way I don't lose all the heat out of the smoke box through the top of it, but I'm still cooking by indirect heat is my thinking.

And a shot of the front showing the layout.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 23rd, 2014, 9:10 am

Yep, now I can get it. You are right you will gain some of radiant heat from the top of the FB. That 180 will become one hot rascal though be careful around that part. I have found the lost heat on an offset is the cost of having a nice fire burning in my FB and the correct temp in my CC. I think you are going to get the same thing with an lower burning fire.

Making memories.

bairboy
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Young apprentice

Post by bairboy » November 23rd, 2014, 9:45 am

Neat build it will be cool to see your first cook!!

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 23rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

:LG:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » November 24th, 2014, 12:32 am

Got a bit furthur along today, I sure hope I can get it done by Tuesday so I can burn it in and season it for Thursday. Got the firebox all welded on, sealed up, and the door on it(still have to build a latch for it). Got it upright, so it is looking like a smoker now.

Heres the smoke chamber before I closed it up.

And here it is all closed up.

The legs are all welded on, and supports welded in.

Got it upright, firebox door on, and the wooden skids for it to sit on bolted on.

Still have to decide how I want to build my latch for the firebox door, and decide which chimney to use. I have a piece of 3.25" ID, and a section of 4" ID. I'm thinking of going with the 3.25" because the 4" is 1/4" wall tube and is HEAVY(bit tough to hold it and weld it in place is my concern, as well as that much weight welded to the tank).

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » November 24th, 2014, 2:48 pm

:LG: :LG:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 24th, 2014, 3:40 pm

:beer: :LG:

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » November 26th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Well I fought the smoker, and the smoker won. I was hoping to be done with it for a turkey day break in, but I didn't make it. This friggen lid has fought me tooth and nail trying to get it to line up, and has whooped me plum proper. I cut it out with a plasma cutter in stages to avoid heating it, and it was pretty dang straight after cutting. I guess I didn't lay it down flat enough after cutting to let it cool, and it twisted on me a good bit. I layed it up there and it only matched up in 3 spots, and the top right corner was hitting hard, and the bottom left was out past the cutout. I bet I have spent close to 8 hours trying to straighten it out, and have it with an 1/8" of an inch now. Put it up there and tacked the hing plate on and it pulled out about a 1/4" of an inch on me again, so I had to start over straightening it.

But heres how far I got.
Heres how I had to straighten/pull the lid back into place, along with a 60 ton press, a 3 pound hammer, and a lot of different wood blocks to hammer against.

My water/drip pan I made for it. Has a 3/4" black iron pipe drain running out underneath. Still debating on adding a filling pipe to it.

My firebox basket I built. Still need to add 1 bar across the front of it to stiffen it up across the front.

The firebox air intakes, and you can see the water/drip pan drain above.

And the chimney is installed with cover on the top.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 26th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Making good progress, don't let the twist get you down. Try using a chain in the place of that come along and put a bottle jack under it.
Jm2cw

Making memories.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » December 4th, 2014, 10:58 am

I can't wait to read your review on how it works and temp difference across the grate. I bought a store-bought smoker to replace my worn out one because I needed something NOW and all my extra money and time are going into my tow-behind...but I'd like to build a patio model next. I love the design compactness of this one if it works.

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » December 4th, 2014, 11:11 am

I can't wait to try it out either. Unfortunately I got the flu Thanksgiving day, and am still knocked down a week later. Me and my son both came down sick at the same time, and I think we keep passing it back and forth because we feel better, then get sick again. I'm beyond ready to get back to work on this one.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 4th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Oh man, chain up that door and get the gator out and park the left front wheel on the door. That should fix it.

Sorry Brother I couldnt resist.

The door warp can be a rough road. Sometimes they go south, sometimes they are a walk in the park.

This is a long shot but I may try to leave it welded up and try to tack down the high corner then reach inside with a bottle jack and apply pressure to the low side pushing out.

May have room, may not.

The other thing you can do is leave it welded up and take a short chain like you show the cable hoist in the pic but on the outside of the door. weld the chain with enough slack to put the jack under it.

Once its straight you can use a cut off wheel to remove the chain.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » December 6th, 2014, 9:04 pm

After 10 days of being sick, I felt ALMOST human today(ALMOST, but not quite yet) and did a little more work on it. Got the firebox all finished up, and ready for a fire to be lit.

Heres the firebox basket finished up and my fandangled rod I made for pulling the fire tray out.

The firebox door all finished up with my own latch design.

And the air intake for the firebox is all done as well. Installed some grating to help prevent any chunks from falling out that may stray out of the tray.

Still gotta get the friggen door straightened out and laying down semi straight, then it's pretty much done.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 6th, 2014, 9:40 pm

:kewl: you'll be smokin' in no time.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 6th, 2014, 9:41 pm

You're doing great don't cut corners as the excitement builds. That is why it is hard to stay the course.

Making memories.

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » December 6th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:You're doing great don't cut corners as the excitement builds. That is why it is hard to stay the course.

Making memories.
Yep, thats the part thats killing me. My neighbor came over tonight and looked at the lid fitment and said what was the problem, I just told him I want it at least semi right before I call it good. Within a 1/4" won't cut it for me, I want it to be within at least a 1/16" before I tack the stripping down on the door. Pretty happy with how the firebox came out, so I want to keep it up.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 7th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Good job

Making memories.

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » December 13th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Haven't gotten much time to work on the smoker lately, but I have gotten an hour or two here and there to work on it. It's starting to look like a smoker, and getting close.
The cooking grates. They come out in 2 pieces for cleaning. Decided to go with conventional grating instead of the stainless for the cooking grates.
The grate on the outlet side goes all the way over, and you can see how far in I made the stack protrude in.
Got the door on, hinges welded on, and the handle mounted up.
Starting to look like a smoker.
You can see the water fill pipe I added for filling the water tray(had an extra piece of 1/2" pipe, figured what the heck).
Still have to decide if I want to leave the door as is, or add a counter balance to it so I don't have to open it so far to keep it open. Also need to add on end racks, and build my 2nd rack to go inside the cooking chamber. Hoping to maybe light a fire in it tommorrow to get some smoke in it.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 13th, 2014, 10:57 pm

It looks great, I'm curious about how it'll perform as I've never seen a design quite like this. Keep up the good work :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 14th, 2014, 6:26 am

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 14th, 2014, 8:39 am

BBQ is just smoke and beers!