build questions

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
nightperson
beginner
beginner

build questions

Post by nightperson » November 28th, 2014, 10:08 am

Im looking to possibly build a smoker with minimal investment(mostly scrap i have). I bought the plans for the vertical feed smoker and its huge. If i were to build a smaller smoker as a test build can the burn box be smaller or will it choke the fire out? whats the smallest cook box do you think can be built and still maintain a low temp? Lastly 1/2" for the fire box seems like a pretty hefty thickness when a weber is maybe 18 gauge. I know it may not last as long but how do you think 1/4" would fare? I have plenty of that laying around.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: build questions

Post by Rodcrafter » November 28th, 2014, 10:59 am

Welcome to the crew, as for the plans you paid for. You also paid for access to the OB1 of this forum Frank Cox. As for the most economical to build and operate is the UDS smoker. They can operate on very little fuel and they are cheap to make. As for the FB on the GF plans you paid for, it is 1/2" because it is sometimes operated by an air controller. Which causes a lot of heat so the plans take that in consideration so the FB doesn't get distorted.

jm2cw

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

nightperson
beginner
beginner

Post by nightperson » November 28th, 2014, 12:18 pm

makes sense- id like to build a larger smoker later on i just have a lot of 1/4" scrap. I figured it was a warping issue.

Has anyone does a detached FB like on the assassin or superior smokers? I read that the cook box stays much more consistent with the temps.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 28th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Those GF smokers all seem to have about the same type of FB. Those who have that smoker from the plans love it.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 28th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Rodcrafter is right on with my own gf build. I really do love it and, for my needs, it is freakin huge. On the other hand....with using sheets of high end insulation, my IR gun measured outer skin temps 2 inches above the FB door at approx 185 F. They fell off quickly 12" above and even to 55 half way up. I'm sure that glowing 1/2" was nearer 900 degrees. That kind of mass has stable maintenance properties though. Since those are relatively small pieces, could you not weld two together in a way that would be somewhat equal to the 1/2" ? (Meaning not only thickness properties)

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

nightperson
beginner
beginner

Post by nightperson » November 30th, 2014, 12:32 am

anyone ever used this stuff or something like it? seems like it would make for a lot less welding

http://www.aremco.com/news-item/pyro-pu ... al-sealer/

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 30th, 2014, 6:53 am

At $100 a pint it's not something I'd use everyday.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 30th, 2014, 10:16 am

For what it's worth, my brother used this stuff on his sons auto exhaust. It has worked extremely well and it close to a year now. Just not sure what food uses may yield. Always pays to take note.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

nightperson
beginner
beginner

Post by nightperson » December 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm

when you save movement do you mean warping from a cook?

I found some 1/2" i had laying around that is 10" wide so im good on that. The 1/4" is what im short on now but thats not a big deal.

In the plans it looks like it calls for 1/4" for the entire chimney except the bottom where it calls for 1/2"

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 5th, 2014, 1:52 am

Yup. you are correct.

And yes by movement I had problems with expansion and troubles sealing the top of the chute.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!