Help me decide on plans!

Tell us a little about yourself!
jnelas
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Help me decide on plans!

Post by jnelas » January 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Hi Everyone, I am new to the website and would like to introduce myself. I personally have no experience building smokers, welding, or anything close to it. What I do have is a phenonal Father-in-law (Rick) who is a professional welder who has some experience building smokers in the past and has offered to build me any kind of smoker I want!! My experience smoking meats is pretty limited as I have been an apartment dweller up until a few weeks from now and have just used whatever grill and smoking facilities are available at the apartment or at some friends. I have been dying for the opportunity to get a real smoker and really pick up the hobby of smoking all sorts of meat and things, especially the wild hogs which are very abundant here in TX. Rick isn't the computer type so I will be the main point of contact for all questions and updates on progress. I am really excited I found this website!

So, the first order of business is deciding on the right build for me. I have some ideas (and dreams) about what I would like in the perfect smoker but I definitely have some questions that I will need help with. Right now I am thinking reverse flow, 48-60 inches (large enough for a whole hog), warmer box, on a trailer. The Lang 48 deluxe is a good example and is the first thing I showed to Rick as far as an example of what I was thinking.

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang48/lang48_deluxe.html

He assured me he could build something similar for a lot less money. =) Anyway, since looking around this website and the plans available at the smokerplans.net it looks like there are some pretty similar plans out there. A couple questions I have for now:

1. I noticed the heat and smoke for the warmer box on most smokerplans.net plans comes from dampeners on the top of the fire box vs the Lang which has a dampener from the main cooking chamber. Any pro's or cons for doing it one way vs the other?

2. I saw the Hybrid reverse flow plans designed for Jason in TX. Very cool! It got me thinking about the advantages/disadvantages of both kinds of smokers and when you would want to cook with a reverse flow vs traditional offset. I have read that reverse flow is best for more even cooking temperatures throughout the entire cooking chamber, while traditional will vary significantly from one side to the next. I assume there are some cooking situations in which it is best to have one vs the other like simultaneously cooking things that require a diffenent temp. Can someone give me a quick overview of when you would want one vs the other? Just trying to see if it would make sense for us to try to build something like the hybrid so I could basically do it all or if just a reverse flow is fine, or if a traditional is best! Also, in general has that hybrid model been successful in both operating methods? Can anyone comment on it from experience using it?

I'll let the conversation get started with that. =) If any of this is answered at length in other posts feel free to just refer me to them rather than re-writing.

Thanks everyone!
James

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Help me decide on plans!

Post by Blazer » January 12th, 2012, 10:09 pm

you are in the right place Jnelas Frank will steer you right. ;)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

:welcome: :welcome:
Glad you found us! it sounds like you have been doing some serious research! The hybrid you mention was designed for Jason to be used for his competition BBQ Team. It is also the same rig that I am building except mine is only 48" long instead of 60" long. It is by far the most versatile design in my opinion. the thing about tuning plates is you can move the plates around and get different results as you want. with a Reverse Flow they are more consistent for sure but they aren't able to be changed as much. one advantage a reverseflow has is the Baffle Plate is welded in place and will catch the drippings and cleaning is a little easier. with the tuners the plates are not liquid tight and will leak liquids... although cleaning is still not that big of a deal. The Hybrid plans also have a damper between the firebox and cook chamber as well as the dampers for the warming cabinet.
I have not finished building mine yet so I havent got to use it yet and I have not heard back from Jason yet. From my experience I think I am going to be VERY Happy with the hybrid design.
If you want to call me, you can at anytime! the number is on the SmokerPlans.net site. We will also design a custom set to your specs! :kewl:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Blazer wrote:you are in the right place Jnelas Frank will steer you right. ;)
Thanks Blazer!

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » January 12th, 2012, 10:36 pm

No problemo frank, sounds like a good build in the works! :welder:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » January 13th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Jnelas :welcome: ! I am currently designing my smoker, and i have to say i am getting alot of good info from these fellers. Frank will definitely be a great resource to help you. As will many of the other members here.
Just my 2 cents i think i would go hybrid, it may take a little more work to clean, but it is very versatile. Good luck and I look forward to watching your build and seeing :grillin:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 13th, 2012, 3:08 pm

:BDHorse: ..... I agree....go big or go home..... :yth: \m/

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 14th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Welcome James, you found the right place for cool ideas and such.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

jnelas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by jnelas » January 18th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! We will probably go with the hybrid. The design just seems to neat to pass up. My father-in-law is working on securing some 24" diameter 1/4"thick pipe and scrap steel to get us started. I'm going to be on the lookout for a used trailer in the mean time. Hopefully we will be able to get started soon!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”