Never TIG Welded Before

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Never TIG Welded Before

Post by Puff » September 19th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Need some advice. I am about to order either a new MIG welder..small compact Hobart 190 ....Have read a few TIG posts and question how much of the comparison is better for TIG ? A friend bought an Eastwood TIG 200 and never used it. He tells me he would save me a few bucks ....how much I am not sure yet.

I have never used one... I have an old Miller Thunderbolt Stick unit I have had for 20 years and an old Lincoln MIG. Both work but the MIG has really seen better days. Any suggestions or guidance ?

thanks , AL

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Re: Never TIG Welded Before

Post by Blazer » September 19th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Puff, I take it that thunderbolt is a AC/DC machine. If you want to scratch start tig weld you can with that machine. You will need an air cooled tig rig , which consist of a regulator or flowmeter, a gas hose from the regulator to a powerblock on which you will connect your electrode holder too. The powerblock is what your tig torch screws into. You need to use strait argon gas and dc negative polarity. Your electrode will be on the negative. I wouldn't weld for long periods of time with that machine without letting her cool down. :welder:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 19th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Thank you Blazer, that surely adds more details to the decision. I tend to think I may be better off updating my mig equipment. At least with a decent 160 -200 amp machine, I can start welding and keep welding. I've started this first smoker with the Thunderbolt on DC and 7013 rods. It works fine, I used it three hours of pretty steady use with no problems. The cosmetics of the welds are ....acceptable for a non-welder. Where it really shows... I've got a grinder! I can just load it up and smooth it out.... ;)

By the way, any ideas about how much you think those additions to this Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC machine might cost?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » September 20th, 2013, 8:39 am

Puff, I would say you are looking at 300 for all new stuff plus whatever argon cost in your area. There are a lot of used torches on ebay. That thunderbolt should stick weld pretty good , get some 3/32 7018 :welder:

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 20th, 2013, 2:02 pm

You can't beat 7018. Love that stuff

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » September 20th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Those rods will make a bad welder look good

Puff
Expert
Expert

Re: Never TIG Welded Before : UPDATE

Post by Puff » September 20th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Oh... Thanks...going to the gas supplier tomorrow and I'll pick up those rods

Went out to the barn to look at the welder, a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225. Grabbed the tube of welding rod and as I rolled it to look at the printing on the flux, it reads 7018 not 7013

I thought I was doing a good job as a novice...turns out , it's the rod. x_x

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » September 22nd, 2013, 3:30 pm

U could score a cheap tig torch on ebay made in china. Search for

WP-17V-12-2 TIG welding torch Valve air cooled CK10-25mm 5/8"-18RH 2pins 150Amps

And u will find a shop called 3shop river. They have everything u will need for cheap. Just let them make a combo deal for a valved torch and a consumable package with some lanthanated tungsten.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 22nd, 2013, 8:07 pm

Big vin, thanks for the information. You could not have spelled it out any clearer, I'll check this out. I do think I might be better off going for a good quality new MIG. Since I started this first smoker, I am really enjoying the welding. Thin tubing is still a slight problem as you all know. Despite its age, that Miller box does work great.

Having used a mig before I know those welds would look better also and I have never used a rig before so I would not even know if it was set up properly. Despite my Ridiculously populated NJ location, I have no one around here that can help to get things going...UNLESS of course, it is a simple setup thing.

Update: geez, could that be only $45.00 for the torch? Is it worth experimenting with or will it breakdown quickly? Seems like there is a lot more to know about TIG then just striking the arc or squeezing the trigger. That web site shows tons of stuff on it though

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » September 23rd, 2013, 1:00 am

It really is just 45 bucks for the toch, complete it with a consumable set, a regulator and some tunsten and you have everthing you need for under 100 bucks. Only thing you need to buy local is your gas bottle. I have tried some of their stuff and for the price you pay it is really good.

I really like tig, and find it easier than mig welding for thin materials. Only drawback is that it is quite slow compared to mig welding.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 23rd, 2013, 7:04 pm

Well, I'm in! It makes my stick welder have greater versatility and I can still buy the plasma cutter and new mig...thanks again Big vin. I'll let you know how it turns out
This free oil tank will wind up costing me about $2000.00 to smoke a rib or two :o

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » September 24th, 2013, 12:56 am

:beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 28th, 2013, 10:24 am

FYI. Placed my order yesterday. Who knows, if it turns out to be something I can do with and regularity, I may need to upgrade. This. Is a nice way to try it

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » September 28th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Keep us updated.

Watch weldingtipsandtricks on youtube, that guy had loads of good quality vids on there.

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » October 15th, 2014, 2:10 am

And, did you get to use you tig equipment? How did it work out for you?

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 15th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Hi Big Vin.

It all sits in the box.... Since last October. Finally finished the smoker/ trailer combination and that was the end of June 2014. Bought a new MIG and some accessories in July and use it almost exclusively. Just finishing up a big gravity feed and starting an 80 gallon compressor tank. Also starting my 3rd refill on c-25. A non smoker doesn't get to enjoy these expenses!! I'll give the TIG setup a try over the winter and see how it goes.

Yes those videos are good. I enjoy them nightly.

Big vin
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Big vin » October 18th, 2014, 1:54 am

:beer:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 25th, 2014, 11:21 am

Puff. I use that very same set up for stainless tables. Used it to repair teeth on a ratchet cutter. Welded them up and ground the profile back into the tooth pattern. My youngest welded 2 of my tables and you can't even see the weld. And that was his first tig ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 26th, 2014, 12:24 am

Sounds very nice. Winter has started off mildly here. If it stays this way, I have greater chances to go out and try a few things. If it gets nasty, I'll be stuck either inside or working. Regardless, it means no opportunity to get to know that stuff.i guess this weekend is going to be a good one. 55-60 degrees and dry.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”