dual smokers, one firebox

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
THEFERMANATOR
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

dual smokers, one firebox

Post by THEFERMANATOR » January 21st, 2015, 11:03 am

I guess everything I read about building smokers is addicting is true. After building my first, I'm already thinking of building another one. Has anybody out there built, or have a link to a double smoker setup, but utilizing one firebox? I have friends who do competitions, and they have 2 sperate smokers. I was thinking having one firebox on the end, 2 smokers feed off of it with a warming cabinet over the firebox would be a better idea than having to bring 2 smokers, or even 1 big smoker. They currently use 2 smokers because some things they smoke at 200, and others at 225-250. So the idea hit me to take and get about a 120 gallon tank, split it in half length ways, build square cabinets on top of the tank halfs to give max cooking area, mount them back to back, put 1 large firebox on the end so you only have 1 fire to feed, adjustable dampers to each pit so you can control the temp and smoke to each one off of the single firebox, and then mount a warming chamber with a small damper to control smoke and heat to the WC over the firebox. I figured somebody has already done one, but would like to see one before I emabrk on trying to build one.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: dual smokers, one firebox

Post by Rodcrafter » January 21st, 2015, 11:29 am

I see what you are saying, but the draw from the stack pulls the heat into the CC, so it would be hard to keep that even between the two. I would since your talking smaller cookers, put 2 back to back on the same trailer. This way they would work trouble free at what ever temp you choose.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

motoridr09
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by motoridr09 » January 21st, 2015, 11:42 am

I was thinking about the same idea when I was planning the smoker I'm building now. I've seen a couple built that way. One guy i talked to that has one wished he would have just built 1 bigger one. He said its hard to keep the airflow right in both of them at the same time. I decided to just build a big one (maybe too big) to try to keep it simpler on me. I'm not saying your idea wont work because honestly I don't know. I'm just letting you know why i ditched the idea.

Fishless Mickey
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Fishless Mickey » January 21st, 2015, 12:04 pm

You could decide the fire box too. Then two air intakes and two stacks would resolve the air flow problem. Effectively becoming two smokers stacked back to back

Don't hate me because I'm pretty

Fishless Mickey
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Fishless Mickey » January 21st, 2015, 12:05 pm

Divide*

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » January 21st, 2015, 3:24 pm

I agree heat control will be a issue. This why my latest build allows for low and slow and hot and fast in one cooker. It works awesome.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » January 21st, 2015, 11:25 pm

I hadn't thought of the draft part of it, then again that's why I asked before I embarked on something new again. I had thought of doing dual doors on the firebox, so then a 1/4" divider would be easy enough to add in. I have a GOOD bit of 3/8" plate that I got, and keep thinking it would make a NICE large firebox. I have somebody with some 3/16" plate for free, just have to go pick it up, and still have some 1/4" left over from my build. Pick up some angle, extruded, and a few other odds, and ends, and I'd be set after I find a tank. I also found a 250 gallon propane tank I've been eyeing I may go get and just do one good sized smoker.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 22nd, 2015, 8:15 am

I think you should take a look at the cooker CRS is talking about before you go too far. You may want to copy what he did.

Here is a link; http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... php?t=4235

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Fishless Mickey
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Fishless Mickey » January 22nd, 2015, 8:20 am

I like the K.I.S.S. principle. I was going to make my larger trailer build with two potential cooking styles (vertical center feed and offset RF). Decided to keep it simple and nixed the center feed. I can always build a center feed next time right.. :welder:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm

Rod crafter is spot on about looking at the crs cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » January 23rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Well, got my next victim today. Picked up a 250 gallon propane tank for $80. Some minor surface rust, but no pitting anywhere. Still had a little bit of propane in it, so no moisture got inside of it either. Now to decide on which way to go with the design aspect. Definately going to go with a main cook chamber with a squared off door setup, and a warming cabinet over the firebox that can double as a cooker at a different temp. Also found ALOT of 1/4" plate, but it's rusty. For free though, I can grind the rust off to clean it up and use it.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 24th, 2015, 4:20 am

Wow what a score

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 24th, 2015, 5:18 pm

No pics....never happened....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » January 25th, 2015, 2:34 am

dcman (The Czar) wrote:No pics....never happened....
Hasn't yet. I have the tank, but have to go back for the plate.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 25th, 2015, 12:40 pm

I'm just saying...lol

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Dragger40
beginner
beginner

Post by Dragger40 » January 28th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Here's my rig if I ever get back to work on it.
I have a shut off to the main chamber and a slide in divider for the firebox if needed. Both warming chambers can be used to smoke or warm if shut off.
I like this setup because I can just smoke on one small warmer if I'm at home and cooking dinner for the family.
Attachments
IMG_2015012818394.jpg

It has a lightning bolt don't it?

THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR » January 28th, 2015, 8:49 pm

I have a simliar idea. I plan on building a square warming cabinet over it, and building a channel into the WC from below the BP, and another above it. Then if I close off the main cooker chimney, the heat will have nowhere to go except back up into the WC when the lower cutoff is opened. But if I wanted to I could use the smoke and heat after it has passed through the main cooker, and divert some back to the WC to use as a low temp smoker. This idea also would go even furthur to preventing any chances of flame ups happening in the WC directly over the FB. I need to work on a drawing for what I have in mind and post it up. In theory I think it will work, but want to run it by others before I start cutting.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”