Italian sausage

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Italian sausage

Post by Miles » January 28th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Good day,
I have the brisket, pork butt, ribs and chilli planned for Super Bowl, but I also have an Italian sausage coil that needs to be cooked. It's about 12 inches in dia, I don't know how long it would be if uncoiled. I don't even know if it's pork, just assuming. How would I cook this thing? I'll have the smoker going for 12-13 hours at 225 to get the other meat done. Any idea of how long to put one of these on? Or is sausage a grill meat?

Al Miles

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Italian sausage

Post by SmokinFF » January 28th, 2015, 9:37 pm

There's a chance it may just need to be heated up. Throw it on the cooker and check internal temp.

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 28th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Being Italian, I should know this. But, is it pinkish in color? Then it is not cooked, more than likley it is pork, and if it's 1/2" diameter, it is usually grilled nicely at lower temp, if it's the 1 1/4" that has a tendency to displace some fat and cause more flare ups in the grill and it then burns quickly. So cook in the oven for half an hour, then grill it for a few minutes to crisp up the outer skin a touch, again watch for fat flare ups.

For a nice sandwich ...place it on a bed of red peppers and some sliced onions for 30-40 minutes at 350 in the oven. Maybe a dash of water if it's drying out . Grab a nice roll, stuff it with the cooked pepper and onion and a chunk of sausage. Fugghedaboutit....as they say on the Sopranos

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 29th, 2015, 6:02 am

I cook mine in the oven at 400 degrees in a shallow baking pan after coating the sausage in oil to get the skin crisp. They'll need to be flipped once to get even browning. Maybe 20 minutes a side. Like Puff said, peppers and onions and a touch of tomato paste..... To die for.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » January 29th, 2015, 7:39 am

Man, that sounds good, thank you.
I just looked at it again. The sausage is about 1"or so in dia and has two large skewers through it to hold it in a coil The lable says to heat untill the internal temp is 160 deg. so I'm assuming it's raw.
I'm definitly going to try with the peppers and onion.
I didn't like sausage much when young, but now that i'm older my tastes and mind have opened.
Thanks again

Al Miles

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 29th, 2015, 11:44 am

I like to saute the onions and peppers in some olive oil in a pan over a burner. But the sausage, I like to cook in the smoker so I can get some smoke on them. I like the hot and fast method too with a thin coat of olive oil.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 29th, 2015, 5:41 pm

When I was a kid, I would gag at the smell of it cooking. But like Pete mentioned, it's damn good eatin'.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life