Lincoln welders ?

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Lincoln welders ?

Post by QueTex » March 3rd, 2015, 3:32 pm

I see a lot more people in love with the millers and Hobart's than the Lincolns, the local welding supply says the lincolns are the brand for pro's around here and Millers although good are not as durable in commercial settings. They sell both btw.
I'm in the market for a 220 mig and I'm at this point more of a hobby guy but i do like to weld regularly and refurbish old bbq smokers and trailers just for fun then resell. Going to be building a few smokers for friends this summer so want something that will not give me too many problems and will last a few years,
Had a Millermatic 135 I bought new several years ago, it was a good little machine but jut would not do the jobs I like to work on so I sold it and want to go 220 for sure.
Any help appreciated.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Lincoln welders ?

Post by Smurf » March 3rd, 2015, 4:57 pm

I personally don't think you could go wrong with either Lincoln or Miller. I've had a Lincoln wire-matic 255 for 20 years now and it has served me well. You are right about the folks with their Millers, they sure seem to like them. Good luck.

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Post by Blazer » March 3rd, 2015, 5:31 pm

QueTex, I personally prefer miller and own two , but use mainly Lincoln at work but they are very high end machine's. As smurf said I'm sure either will be fine for you. I guess it depend's on how deep your pockets are. I have a miller 212 auto set and seems to do fine. One of the toughest mig machines ever made was the millermatic 200. :welder:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 3rd, 2015, 6:49 pm

I agree with Blazer millermatic 200 is the best old welder I've used it was old when I started using it 25 years ago

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 3rd, 2015, 9:23 pm

While my Miller thunder bolt only saw real action after it was 26 yrs old ... It performs in a very superior way after aging that transformer for so long....

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by QueTex » March 3rd, 2015, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply's, I don't have deep pockets for sure, lol. I do plan to build several bbq grills and smokers this year and as I stated I like to refurbish old stuff, my lincoln acdc stick burner with 6011's does a good job there, I know I know everyone hates 6011 but man it will weld through anything, lmao. I do keep 6013 and 7018 for the purdy welds.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 4th, 2015, 9:18 am

QueTex,

My thunderbolt is AC/DC and the 7014 did an ok job as well. all the rods I used when I started the job were 25 years old lying around the garage in their original Hobart tubes...missing the end caps though. Once I did buy the 211 Auto-set, I was more than impressed. For what it's worth. 6011 always look full of slag when I use it

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by QueTex » March 4th, 2015, 3:11 pm

yea it's never pretty, lol

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”